Contraception choices

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
First timer here, I've never used my own contraception but I thought it might be a good idea to add another layer of protection. Can anybody tell me about their experiences on different contraception?
I'm afraid I'll forget to take the pill and all this hormone talk about adverse effects kinda freaks me out.
metallic67
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Condoms are 98% effective. Take the pill every night at the same time so you wont forget. Mark it on a calendar so you know that you've taken it.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
First timer here, I've never used my own contraception but I thought it might be a good idea to add another layer of protection. Can anybody tell me about their experiences on different contraception?
I'm afraid I'll forget to take the pill and all this hormone talk about adverse effects kinda freaks me out.
you won't know if you'll have any issues with side effects until you try it but perhaps you might be able to try the coil which doesn't have hormones.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would go and see the GP or Family Planning Clinic and get advice on all the options. There’s still no ideal solution and sadly. Condoms serve a need and are a barrier against STI but I think its pretty widely felt that one of the advantages of a long term relationship is being able to do away with this messy and uncomfortable barrier. My gf has used implant and Mirena coil and got on ok with the later. We’ve also tried the Femidom, bonkers really. And I’ve wondered what the diaphragm would be like, but can imagine its a messy uncomfortable faff too. Sadly there is still no male oral or implant contraceptive so we can share the burden.
Last edited by Zarek; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zarek)
I would go and see the GP or Family Planning Clinic and get advice on all the options. There’s still no ideal solution and sadly. Condoms serve a need and are a barrier against STI but I think its pretty widely felt that one of the advantages of a long term relationship is being able to do away with this messy and uncomfortable barrier. My gf has used implant and Mirena coil and got on ok with the later. We’ve also tried the Femidom, bonkers really. And I’ve wondered what the diaphragm would be like, but can imagine its a messy uncomfortable faff too. Sadly there is still no male oral or implant contraceptive so we can share the burden.
I have the same opinion on the diaphragm. But I'll deffo try seeing the family planning clinic about it. I also want something discreet so would you say that the implant is easily noticeable? Don't want family finding out lol.
username5397146
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hope my wife opts for an implant. Lasts 3 years. 99% effective and it doesnt mess with hormones like pills do sometimes.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have the same opinion on the diaphragm. But I'll deffo try seeing the family planning clinic about it. I also want something discreet so would you say that the implant is easily noticeable? Don't want family finding out lol.
I would say the implant is discrete and unnoticeable. Unfortunately my gf found it affected her mood badly though. I always think a female doctor is likely to be the best source of advice.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by clin.edpsych)
Hope my wife opts for an implant. Lasts 3 years. 99% effective and it doesnt mess with hormones like pills do sometimes.
Implants are a hormonal method, they can mess with hormones as much as the pill does and then it's harder to get sorted when it takes time for an appointment to have it removed. did you mean a cooper coil?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Zarek)
I would argue that sex without a condom is a lot messier!
(Original post by clin.edpsych)
You might want to do a bit of reading about different types of contraception - the implant technically contains more progestogen than the pill.
The implant itself isn't usually noticeable. You will have a little scar though (little line around 0.5cm in length on the inner part of your upper arm).
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by black tea)
The implant itself isn't usually noticeable. You will have a little scar though (little line around 0.5cm in length on the inner part of your upper arm).
(Original post by black tea)
Condom sticky lubricant and waste left overs are pretty unpleasant in comparison to natural mess in my experience.
Elektra06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At the end of the day it's what works for you.

I have been on the combined pill and had no issues with it. since my diagnosis I've had to switch to progesterone only so I got the implant fitted.

Lasts 3 years easy once you get it fitted. I did have minor frequent spotting issues but a week or two of the pill alongside it at the start helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (45)
23.56%
Less motivated (146)
76.44%

Watched Threads