Should I take Art as my fifth A-Level

Watch
ZiyueTao
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have just started my AS level and I am doing Geography, Economics, French, and Maths now. However, since all clubs/extra-curriculum have been cancelled this year due to COVID-19, I am thinking of taking art as my fifth subject. Since I am considering applying to US colleges as well, I guess an art a level may be beneficial as to make my profile more ‘artistic’. I have read tonnes of reviews saying that the workload for art is surreal, but I still can’t give up this idea cause there are also people telling me that my a level choices are quite ‘approachable’. I am aiming for good grades and I am willing to work hard. Is it doable? And, if anyone has experienced US College admissions, do you think it worths the efforts?P.S. My school’s performance on Art is REALLY strong, so it also seems like a great resource to me...Sorry for the LONG post, thank you for reading it.
noory27
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ZiyueTao)
I have just started my AS level and I am doing Geography, Economics, French, and Maths now. However, since all clubs/extra-curriculum have been cancelled this year due to COVID-19, I am thinking of taking art as my fifth subject. Since I am considering applying to US colleges as well, I guess an art a level may be beneficial as to make my profile more ‘artistic’. I have read tonnes of reviews saying that the workload for art is surreal, but I still can’t give up this idea cause there are also people telling me that my a level choices are quite ‘approachable’. I am aiming for good grades and I am willing to work hard. Is it doable? And, if anyone has experienced US College admissions, do you think it worths the efforts?P.S. My school’s performance on Art is REALLY strong, so it also seems like a great resource to me...Sorry for the LONG post, thank you for reading it.
It's up to you if you can survive the load of work they will give you but it would be really good to have 5 a-levels. I do maths, bio and chem for a-levels and am in year 13 but have half of the year 12 work to catch up on due to lockdown, but art can also be really fun too even with loads of work.
ZiyueTao
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by noory27)
It's up to you if you can survive the load of work they will give you but it would be really good to have 5 a-levels. I do maths, bio and chem for a-levels and am in year 13 but have half of the year 12 work to catch up on due to lockdown, but art can also be really fun too even with loads of work.
Sorry I have just read your reply! Thank you for replying I am now doing art as my fifth a level and you are right — it might be the subject that I am having most fun! Bio and Chem sound hard (to me lol) so good luck with them!
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What are you planning to do as a career?

To be honest, taking 5 A-Levels sounds ridiculous and I don’t think you realise how hard A-Levels are going to get.
ZiyueTao
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)

To be honest, taking 5 A-Levels sounds ridiculous and I don’t think you realise how hard A-Levels are going to get.
Thank you for replying!
I have already started year 12 and so far I find a levels are ok to cope with (though I know it is because it’s just the beginning and things are going to be much harder later on).
I have decided to take art just for fun and definitely prioritise my other four a levels. If I’d go to the US I will be likely to consider minor in art.
Anyway, thank you for reading my post and giving advice
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In answer to the OP, stick to four I think.
Toxteth O’Grady
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is no need for 5 A’levels in the US. Bear in mind that you will have to sit an ACT/SAT for US entry (majority of colleges are now test optional but it gives you an idea of what institutions are realistic for you). Also the application is time consuming at a time when you will be busy with UCAS stuff and mock exams. Don’t stress yourself out with it.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)

I agree
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if you enjoy it and are natuarally good at it then why not? US will surely look great on that as they like that sort of thing.

But also imho if you think then your other A Levels will suffer then avoid, only you can answer that.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's no need to take 5, quality is better than quantity.
Art alevel is incredibly intense in terms of workload, it is not an option you can just tack on the end
noory27
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When it gets tough you do know that you always have the option to drop your a levels. Its important to look after your mental health too you dont want to be stressing out too much as it will end up affecting your studies. But if you do want to do 5, its best to revise as you go along then it wont be too hard for you in the end something i didnt do and now i regret it. but good luck
dicotyledon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you will probably find doing 5 subjects will end up being too much work, and may cause you to not do so well overall. Maybe do art as a hobby, and enter some competitions or something so you have some kind of formal awards/qualifications that you can include on the personal statement if you think it will be relevant? I am not sure how the US application process works, but I assume there is some equivalent to a personal statement.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Art cannot be rushed and will take longer than the other 4 subjects combined. Think hard before you decide to take art.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.61%
I'm not sure (45)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (306)
29.8%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (499)
48.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed