The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
RealityIsDull
lot of peeps celebrate winter soltice...or something like that

Lol, yes or something like it. My family celebrates the earth renewal and the coming of the cleansing moon. Wich means instead of going to church for a midnight mass, I'm out in the back yard burning sage and sweetgrass.At the same time we have a tree set up, with a star on top and a manger set underneath. I would consider myself christian as I do believe in a higher power, but as far as trees being a christian thing, I don't feel they are. As mentioned christmas is way too comercialized now for it too really matter.
Reply 21
I have friends who put up Hannukah trees. :p:

Really, it's just another opporunity to be with loved ones (and get a few presents out of it). Sure, Christmas is a Christian holiday, but the tree itself can mean anything you want. Perhaps we should get away from calling it a CHRISTmas tree, because it really has nothing to do with religion. Unless someone can point out the Bible verse saying we should all put up trees...
Reply 22
Well my family isnt christian, but we have a tree up

only reason we have it up is so we have somewhere to put the prezzis.
Reply 23
grace
ok people, let's get something straight ---> CHRISTmas is about celebrating the birth of CHRIST. Thus, a CHRISTmas tree, in conjunction with a holiday to commemorate his birth, is related to CHRIST and thus CHRISTianity.

Apparently the star on top of a christmas tree is symbolic of the star the wisemen followed to get to bethlehem or something.

apparantly the star is symbolic of westlife or somink or nothink, and dont listen to jesus cos hes just got one tit bigger than the other
Reply 24
For me, christmas is not (nor has it ever been) about the birth of christ. It's about seeing the family and having a good time. And it doesn't have any religious significance anymore... at least not the festivities I participate in. Believe me, if it did I would be the last to participate.
In my honest opinion, Christianity is one of the most malevolent institutions on earth. And before you start shouting at me, please remember I said: "in my opinion".
Reply 25
If you ask a majority of the christians in the UK why do they put up a christmas tree in december, they'll probably say because thier friends do! Now come on, many people claim to be christian and know bugger all about the religion. I like to call these people sheep. Born into a society where everyone they know believes in 1 thing and they follow suit. Can't blame them, because many people aren't given a choice in the matter.
Reply 26
grace
ok people, let's get something straight ---> CHRISTmas is about celebrating the birth of CHRIST. Thus, a CHRISTmas tree, in conjunction with a holiday to commemorate his birth, is related to CHRIST and thus CHRISTianity.

Apparently the star on top of a christmas tree is symbolic of the star the wisemen followed to get to bethlehem or something.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

is snow a christian thing as well? - it's on so many cards.

in certain geographical areas evergreens have been brought into the house for a winter festival for centuries before jesus was born. In those same areas evergrees are still brought into the house, the tradition has spread to other areas and become associated with christmas.

Have a look at Yule - which is a winter pagan festival lasting 12 days (sound familiar anyone) not another word for christmas.

Lots of pagan traditions have become amalgameted into christian traditions. Which is why christians in Mexico cellebrate the day of the dead and christians in Europe don't.

mistletoe, holy, ivy and a yule log all predate christianity

Oh and easter eggs are another pagan thing.

I find it hartening that so many people take part in pagan rituals without knowing it.
Reply 27
interestingly sassh, in danish, swedish and norwegian (afaik) christmas is known as "jul" pronnounced very similarly to "yule".

Latest

Trending

Trending