The Student Room Group

Do i need to study from multiple textbooks a level

Is one textbook enough for physics econ and computer science? Lots of people say I must go through multiple books but what if I just use the coursebook and Youtube videos?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chaos126forever
Is one textbook enough for physics econ and computer science? Lots of people say I must go through multiple books but what if I just use the coursebook and Youtube videos?

Not essential, but would recommend
Original post by liketorun
Not essential, but would recommend

What is wrong with studying from one textbook though?
You can study from one text book but alongside that I would read some other books to get a wider range of knowledge and apply your understanding to those new ones. I hope that helps. :smile:
You can use one textbook, but should watch videos or do online stuff, such as Seneca. Working just from one textbook will not allow you to get good grades, sometimes only a maximum of C. This is because the textbook doesn't cover the fullnspecification, or not in proper detail anyway. They expect you to do your own independent research as A Levels are meant to show independence and self reliance, with aid from teachers and the textbook

Lol no
Original post by jumpman123
Lol no

Why not?
Original post by jumpman123
Lol no

Why not?.
Why not?

Dude! People told you why not...
What is wrong with studying from one textbook though?

well if its a good textbook then thats fine, but in my experience is rare to find a textbook that is great at everything, ie has loads of questions, including challenging ones, and that covers all the material, and covers it well, so for example with my physics I used 3 books altogether, one for learning, one what summed things up and one with a good range of questions, where as in econ, i was forced to use only one as there was only one available for the course, theres no reason why you cant get A*A*A* with one textbook in each but multiple resources is very much recommended if possible
You'll get by with one textbook, but don't expect to excel at your subjects. Take physics for example, which I studied at A-Level. The CGP revision guides will cover the essentials and give you a couple of (relatively easy) practice questions, but this won't take you very far. A-Levels are about having a breadth of knowledge that you can apply to each other. If you really want to do well at your subjects, make use of other resources like textbooks (for physics, if on the OCR board, I recommend "A Level Physics for OCR" from Oxford Press) to further your understanding as best you can.

It's not enough to just know the content at A Level - you need to understand it.

I should say, I agree with others that it's certainly possible to do very well in your subjects with only one textbook. But it's going to take a hell of a lot more work. Also for physics I recommend physicsandmathstutor, do the practice questions to death - it'll only help you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ProperLad
You'll get by with one textbook, but don't expect to excel at your subjects. Take physics for example, which I studied at A-Level. The CGP revision guides will cover the essentials and give you a couple of (relatively easy) practice questions, but this won't take you very far. A-Levels are about having a breadth of knowledge that you can apply to each other. If you really want to do well at your subjects, make use of other resources like textbooks (for physics, if on the OCR board, I recommend "A Level Physics for OCR" from Oxford Press) to further your understanding as best you can.

It's not enough to just know the content at A Level - you need to understand it.

I should say, I agree with others that it's certainly possible to do very well in your subjects with only one textbook. But it's going to take a hell of a lot more work. Also for physics I recommend physicsandmathstutor, do the practice questions to death - it'll only help you.

Well put, and if you are punting for a top uni its important to try and understand the material is important, even a few textbooks for each course would be the minimum, PAT physics questions are fun
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
You can use one textbook, but should watch videos or do online stuff, such as Seneca. Working just from one textbook will not allow you to get good grades, sometimes only a maximum of C. This is because the textbook doesn't cover the fullnspecification, or not in proper detail anyway. They expect you to do your own independent research as A Levels are meant to show independence and self reliance, with aid from teachers and the textbook

What Youtube channels and onlime resources would you reccomend for ial edexel physics and econ
What Youtube channels and onlime resources would you reccomend for ial edexel physics and econ

Idk what YT channels but i can have a look later and let you know.

Online resources that are good are Seneca and Quizlet

My favourite resources were Isaac Physics, A Level Physics Online (youtube channel free for Year 12 content, not sure about Year 13), and Physics and Maths Tutor. Also not sure about the exam boards covered, but give it a look and I'm sure you'll find some use in all of them.
If you really want to challenge yourself towards the end of your studies, take a look at some PAT past papers or even from the British Physics Olympiad (note - the papers suitable for your ability are marked as year 13 and year 12 on the BPhO homepage). These papers will be difficult, though - don't let it put you off!
For physics if I made notes off the textbook/online notes and pmt would it be enough to get atleast a B?

I can't see why not! Put in the work and I'm sure you'll be able to reach a B. But don't just make notes; take the home, read them, consolidate them. Too many people write stuff down in the lesson then put it aside and think that's enough. Make sure you understand and go over what you've written! Hard work pays off. Everyone has their own process that works for them, though, so take the time to figure out yours.
My favourite resources were Isaac Physics, A Level Physics Online (youtube channel free for Year 12 content, not sure about Year 13), and Physics and Maths Tutor. Also not sure about the exam boards covered, but give it a look and I'm sure you'll find some use in all of them.
If you really want to challenge yourself towards the end of your studies, take a look at some PAT past papers or even from the British Physics Olympiad (note - the papers suitable for your ability are marked as year 13 and year 12 on the BPhO homepage). These papers will be difficult, though - don't let it put you off!

Also when you studied from multiple textbooks did you make your own notes? Or just read? Or is just recalling directly from the book?
(edited 3 years ago)
Also when you studied from multiple textbooks did you make your own notes? Or just read?

As I said, everyone has a process that works well for them. That being said, this was mine:

I would go to the lesson and make rough notes and sketches about what the teacher was teaching us that day. I would then go home and read that day's topic in the A Level Physics for OCR A by Oxford Press textbook I mentioned. After that I'd rewrite the notes neatly for my folder (and do questions in the textbook for those pages). When it came to a class test, for the week before it I'd do questions on PAMT. Anything I didn't get right, I'd look up in the CGP revision guide and do the question again to show myself I understand it.

Here's the thing about CGP - they produce revision guides. They aren't designed for learning the content. Remember that!

My process was probably a bit extreme. I put in a lot of hours and sacrificed most of my social life but it got me A*A*A* Distinction* in my results. You could probably achieve similar with a different, less extreme method, but it worked for me! But remember to give yourself breaks and plenty of time to rest. Your mental health is just as important as your studies when it comes to your performance in your subjects.
(edited 3 years ago)
As I said, everyone has a process that works well for them. That being said, this was mine:

I would go to the lesson and make rough notes and sketches about what the teacher was teaching us that day. I would then go home and read that day's topic in the A Level Physics for OCR A by Oxford Press textbook I mentioned. After that I'd rewrite the notes neatly for my folder (and do questions in the textbook for those pages). When it came to a class test, for the week before it I'd do questions on PAMT. Anything I didn't get right, I'd look up in the CGP revision guide and do the question again to show myself I understand it.

Here's the thing about CGP - they produce revision guides. They aren't designed for learning the content. Remember that!

My method is gcse was recalling the notes my teachers gave me but at a lvl teacher don't give notes and textbooks are huge to recall directly from so I need an entirely new method
My method is gcse was recalling the notes my teachers gave me but at a lvl teacher don't give notes and textbooks are huge to recall directly from so I need an entirely new method

A Levels are about learning how to study without being told exactly what to do by your teachers, preparing you for uni. Try different methods. Take the time. If something doesn't stick then try something else, it's such a personal thing! You need to work out how you work

Quick Reply

Latest