Second time at uni- very confused over financing options!

Watch
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I previously studied 2 years at uni then left due to personal reasons.

I'm interested in returning to uni to study Nutrition and Dietetics and have been looking into financing options but have been left very confused.

Originally I thought I would only have 2 years of funding available through SFE but have read things about NHS grants and bursaries that can help (unsure if this applies to second time at uni though). I've also read that degrees in medicine, dentistry and other healthcare areas (dietetics included) can be funded through SFE even if they're a second degree.

Does anyone know where I stand on this? I've been trying to find an email address for SFE or the NHS schemes to ask but I can't find them!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PollyParrot23)
Hi,

I'm interested in returning to uni to study Nutrition and Dietetics and have been looking into financing options but have been left very confused.

Originally I thought I would only have 2 years of funding available through SFE but have read things about NHS grants and bursaries that can help (unsure if this applies to second time at uni though). I've also read that degrees in medicine, dentistry and other healthcare areas (dietetics included) can be funded through SFE even if they're a second degree.

Does anyone know where I stand on this? I've been trying to find an email address for SFE or the NHS schemes to ask but I can't find them!
SFE have a forum on here, they should be able to help
Firewood1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PollyParrot23)
Hi,

Have a look at this website on NHS bursary
https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-bursary-students
NHS bursary used to be compatible with SFE funding (it was possible to receive both). However, I don't know what is the present situation.

Be aware that your previous study might have made you an "ELQ student". This means that SFE could fund you only if you study on a part time basis. However, as far as I am aware, there are no part-time courses in Nutrition and Dietetics (because these students spend a lot of their time in NHS placements). This could mean that for full time study in Nutrition and Dietetics you could rely exclusively on NHS funding for both tuition fees and maintenance.

So, as a step number one - ascertain with SFE advisers whether you are an ELQ student or not. ELQ means "equal or lower qualification". As a step number two - if you are not ELQ then ascertain with SFE advisers for how many years they will fund you, if you are ELQ then ascertain with SFE advisers your part-time study options (not all courses are eligible for SFE funding, but, for example, Human Nutrition is eligible).
Last edited by Firewood1; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (6)
18.75%
No (26)
81.25%

Watched Threads