Do I Choose Marketing At Asset Manager or Financial Management in local government

Watch
Jamescross581
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Help!

I’m torn between accepting a 12-month FTC offer as a marketing assistant at an asset management firm (£200 billion AUM) or a graduate position in a financial management capacity within local government (4-year scheme).

After my FTC at the asset manager there will be an opportunity to extend my employment permanently. However, my goal isn’t necessarily to work in marketing but to be in a more front office position like sales/distribution. I applied for this role because it was a great opportunity to get a foot in the investment management sector as well as have a decent company on my resume to boost my chances of getting into a much larger firm (think Blackrock, Pimco etc) in a FO position.

On the other hand, in local government I will be studying for my CIPFA qualification and will be doing something that I prefer, albeit in public finance (where there seems to be limited career progression). The programme is structured and has a clear career trajectory, where I would likely be at a senior level position on completion of the scheme.

Would love to hear your thoughts on which option I should choose on the premise of my objectives and exit opportunities.
Last edited by Jamescross581; 1 week ago
Jamescross581
Rep:
?
Bump
Jamescross581
Rep:
?
Anyone?
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally, I like the second option, but it does come with a much bigger commitment.

Working marketing at that firm won't automatically mean you get the front door for a FO role in a larger corporation.
Jamescross581
Rep:
?
(Original post by chelseafan)
Personally, I like the second option, but it does come with a much bigger commitment.

Working marketing at that firm won't automatically mean you get the front door for a FO role in a larger corporation.
That was my main concern, however, considering the firm has a relatively small workforce it’s very possible to move across the business into a different function (i.e. product, sales). This should give me the opportunity to build core skills for which I can leverage to migrate to a bigger firm.

Also, this is technically a 12-month traineeship, so I thought it would be great to put it on my CV as I apply for 2021 graduate programmes in investment management.

What do you think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (53)
13.77%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (51)
13.25%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (145)
37.66%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (42)
10.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (73)
18.96%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.45%

Watched Threads