Manooka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are you applying to study Computer Science at University in 2021? Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:
Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I guess I'm going first!

I'm applying to Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Warwick and Birmingham for Computer Science!

GCSEs: 8x A*s, 3x As
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* in Maths, FM, Physics and Drama (I know, random!)
Completed A-Levels: self-taught AS Comp Sci to get grade A, EPQ on ransomware A*

Good luck to everyone applying
lilo16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jduxie4414)
I guess I'm going first!

I'm applying to Oxford, Imperial, Durham, Warwick and Birmingham for Computer Science!

GCSEs: 8x A*s, 3x As
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*A* in Maths, FM, Physics and Drama (I know, random!)
Completed A-Levels: self-taught AS Comp Sci to get grade A, EPQ on ransomware A*

Good luck to everyone applying
omgg wow good luck that looks amazing!
I'm applying to Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham, King's, Royal Holloway/ Queen Mary
A Levels: Maths, Biology, Physics (A*, A, A)
sigma_108
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m applying for Maths&CS at Oxford, Imperial, UCL and St Andrews and for CS at Warwick.
GCSEs: 11 9s
A level predictions: A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Also got an A* in an EPQ about quantum computing last year.
Good luck to all!
S306
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm applying for Computer Science at Cambridge, St Andrew's, Warwick, Bath and Exeter.
Maths, Physics, CS A* at a level and Further Maths A forAS
jduxie4414
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by lilo16)
omgg wow good luck that looks amazing!
I'm applying to Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham, King's, Royal Holloway/ Queen Mary
A Levels: Maths, Biology, Physics (A*, A, A)
Maybe I'll see you at Birmingham
Username7362675
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’m applying for CS at: Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham (sadly had no desire to live in London or Scotland so narrowed down my choices, or to go to Oxford/Cambridge)
A levels: A*A*A* Maths, Psych, Accouting, and a B in AS further maths (Covid really messed up my A).

Im not actually sure if I would enjoy computer science but it’s the best option for me in terms of what degree to take. Interested in how difficult it is in Manchester/Birmingham. FYI I took GCSE computer science, and only learnt python which I plan to re learn in summer before. How many hours in general of work will I have to do. And what’s the boy/girl ratio at these universities. And what are the people like who take CS course, are they the “stereotypical” gamers, or what?
Thanks
ayeshasam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Manooka)
Are you applying to study Computer Science at University in 2021? Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:
Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
Grades : A*A*A* for Physics Maths Chemistry and an A for Further maths (AS)
Applied for : Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Durham and St. Andrews
If anyone else applied to Cambridge, what exactly did you include in your addtional p.s for the SAQ or did you leave it out ?
johnsmith_123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by ayeshasam)
If anyone else applied to Cambridge, what exactly did you include in your addtional p.s for the SAQ or did you leave it out ?
A lot of people leave the additional personal statement blank. Humanities students tend to fill it out more than sciences, and in general you should use it to explain why you want to do the Cambridge course. If you feel your personal statement isn't specific enough to Cambridge, or if you feel your personal statement doesn't include everything, then it might be worth writing the additional personal statement
I left mine blank and got in for Natural sciences, as you can see in this video: https://youtu.be/_SuJRXaAcIM
ayeshasam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by johnsmith_123)
A lot of people leave the additional personal statement blank. Humanities students tend to fill it out more than sciences, and in general you should use it to explain why you want to do the Cambridge course. If you feel your personal statement isn't specific enough to Cambridge, or if you feel your personal statement doesn't include everything, then it might be worth writing the additional personal statement
I left mine blank and got in for Natural sciences, as you can see in this video: https://youtu.be/_SuJRXaAcIM
Okay brilliant thank you !
S306
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by johnsmith_123)
(Original post by ayeshasam)
I left it out too!
FerlockX
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
India CBSE applicant
Class 10 : A1,A1,A2,A2,B1 in Maths,Science, SocialScience, English and Sanskrit (sad ik)
Class 12 : A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 predicted in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science and English

In addition to this I’ve been very active in Kaggle competitions which attract people from all levels ( undergrad, professionals, academics) for data science and AI projects and I have fairly good positions on several as I have mentioned in my PS and scientific conference associated competitions (NeurIPS, ECCV, etc very popular cs conferences) as well.
Also I have a good score on INOI second stage in India for International Olympiad in Informatics

Applying to Trinity, Cambridge(maths), St. Andrews ( maths), ucl (cs), imperial( cs +math), Edinburgh (cs)

Any idea what my chances for Cambridge might be?
Last edited by FerlockX; 2 days ago
jduxie4414
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by FerlockX)
India CBSE applicant
Class 10 : A1,A1,A2,A2,B1 in Maths,Science, SocialScience, English and Sanskrit (sad ik)
Class 12 : A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 predicted in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science and English

In addition to this I’ve been very active in Kaggle competitions which attract people from all levels ( undergrad, professionals, academics) for data science and AI projects and I have fairly good positions on several as I have mentioned in my PS and scientific conference associated competitions (NeurIPS, ECCV, etc very popular cs conferences) as well.
Also I have a good score on INOI second stage for in India for international Olympiad in informatics

Applying to Trinity, Cambridge(maths), St. Andrews ( maths), ucl (cs), imperial( cs +math), Edinburgh (cs)

Any idea what my chances for Cambridge might be?
I think you stand a good chance, just all down to the admissions test! Cambridge is a bit of a roll of the dice as it is
FerlockX
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I think you stand a good chance, just all down to the admissions test! Cambridge is a bit of a roll of the dice as it is
Thanks for the response Unfortunately this year the at-interview test has probably been cancelled and I believe that it’s a pretty important part of Trinity College’s process of evaluation. And according to admission stats of Cambridge acceptance rate for Indian students is already low close to 6-7 percent ;(
sigma_108
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thanks for the response Unfortunately this year the at-interview has probably been cancelled and I believe that it’s a pretty important part of Trinity College’s process of evaluation. And according to admission stats of Cambridge acceptance rate for Indian students is already low close to 6-7 percent ;(
Well.. I hope you can go and continue the legacy of Ramanujan Jai Hind!
jduxie4414
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thanks for the response Unfortunately this year the at-interview test has probably been cancelled and I believe that it’s a pretty important part of Trinity College’s process of evaluation. And according to admission stats of Cambridge acceptance rate for Indian students is already low close to 6-7 percent ;(
I’m applying to Oxford where the overall admissions rate is 7% for everyone, you just need to have hope! Someone has to get in, amirite?

I tgink they might still do the at interview assessment, they might just email it to you and you do it over a zoom/Skype call. They’ve always had video calls for the international candidates that were unable to make it to the university just need to scale it up a lil
FerlockX
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I’m applying to Oxford where the overall admissions rate is 7% for everyone, you just need to have hope! Someone has to get in, amirite?

I tgink they might still do the at interview assessment, they might just email it to you and you do it over a zoom/Skype call. They’ve always had video calls for the international candidates that were unable to make it to the university just need to scale it up a lil
Yeah they’re doing a zoom call. Received info this morning Name:  64BB4B8B-9EF1-4F89-AEE9-3CA9B4C4CAE8.png
Views: 6
Size:  166.9 KB
At interview test cancelled
cambridge is more of a secondary “but something I’m equally keen towards” option for me though because of low financial aid and narrower style (even though I am aware how deep and broad the units within maths course are which is my primary reason for applying to it and not cs)
My main goal or the big HOPE as you might say is for MIT, Stanford, Caltech, similar us institutions which drive the stats even lower to 3-4 % for International students but clearly advertise good financial aid and mainly I can do whatever I want xD (Academically, socially, professionally)
FerlockX
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by sigma_108)
Well.. I hope you can go and continue the legacy of Ramanujan Jai Hind!
Lol thanks dude xD. I wanna have a much more generalist approach though
sonal7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
HI I need come help with CS A level revision. I doing the exam in Jun, no plans of doing CS next year. But since a lot of you have A star predictions would you kindly give me some revision tips? Its AQA board that I m doing and I m year 2.
S306
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
(Original post by sonal7)
HI I need come help with CS A level revision. I doing the exam in Jun, no plans of doing CS next year. But since a lot of you have A star predictions would you kindly give me some revision tips? Its AQA board that I m doing and I m year 2.
Isaac computer science website and Mr Brown CS on youtube are always helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.7%
I'm not sure (11)
3.03%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (124)
34.16%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.65%
I'm not a current university student (165)
45.45%

Watched Threads