The Student Room Group

Official Dental Hygiene and Therapy applicants thread 2021

Is anyone applying for this course for next year?
Which unis are you applying to?
What qualifications have you got/going to get?
Are you a mature student or fresh out of A-levels?

I am a mature student and have 9 GCSE's at grades A-C, and the NEBDN certificate in dental nursing and in September I will be doing an Access to HE in Health Sciences at Sheffield college to open up more universities to me.

I have wanted to do DHDT for years but having my daughter 2 years ago have given me the kick up the arse I needed to do something about it!!

Volunteer Note: Hiya, thanks for visiting this thread. You may want to be aware that this is the thread for people starting this course in 2021. There is a thread for people applying for this course for a start in September 2022 here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7089422
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you applying to study Dental Hygiene and Therapy at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:

Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
Reply 2
Original post by NatS86

I am a mature student and have 9 GCSE's at grades A-C, and the NEBDN certificate in dental nursing and in September I will be doing an Access to HE in Health Sciences at Sheffield college to open up more universities to me.

I have wanted to do DHDT for years but having my daughter 2 years ago have given me the kick up the arse I needed to do something about it!!

Hi Im applying to the Sheffield dental hygiene and therapy course! I’ve got 13 gcses at A*-B and 3 A levels. Initially I always wanted to go into dentistry but my I got my A levels this year and didn’t get my place at uni so I considered doing therapy instead as it
an equally amazing degree and I can always go on to progress and qualify further

Hoping that the course does start in April and covid doesn’t mess anything up 😬😬😬
Hi! I’m planning on applying for 2021 to Teeside and Newcastle! I completed my A-Levels in 2019 (ABB) since them I’ve been dental nursing and will have completed my dental nursing in November. I’m really nervous to apply but I think it’s the best route forwards! I hope everything goes well for us all 😁 Are you guys applying for the October UCAS deadline or the January deadline???
Hi anyone applied to Essex to do BSC oral health’s Science (dental therapy) ? 😊
Hi, how early did you apply?
Original post by jasminew03
Hi, how early did you apply?

I’m not sure if this was aimed at me or just in general but I applied last year round about this time in November, I started to get offers quite late though which is quite common for this course I think and I had my interviews around March/April time I’d say
I've applied to Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham and Portsmouth! I want to do dental therapy and hygiene. I've done an access to HE course and qualified dental nurse :smile:
Original post by georgie_5
I've applied to Plymouth, Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham and Portsmouth! I want to do dental therapy and hygiene. I've done an access to HE course and qualified dental nurse :smile:

Heyyy! I’m currently at Birmingham for DHT, you’ll have to let me know if you hear back about interviews!!
I'm applying with my Dental nursing qualification, GCSES , OHE and completed access. Not quite finished my PS yet eeek.Good luck all!
Reply 10
Original post by NatS86

Hi I'm applying for Dental Hygiene and Therapy at these uni's:
-Plymouth
-Bristol
-Newcastle
-Leeds
-Kings College

I'm currently still doing my A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Economics

I see soooo many people here coming with previous qualifications to do dental hygiene and therapy and then I just have A-Levels... I'm sooo nervous cause of the limited places and I have very bad anxiety so I hope this goes well for me:frown:
Hi NatS86,

I have also applied for the DHDT at Sheffield.
I am a mature student like yourself with 9 A*-C's and finishing an access to HE diploma in health professions (Science).
Sheffield is my only choice due to mortgage commitments and being the closest to me.
Slightly nervous having no A levels and minimal dental experience.

Best of luck :smile:
Is there any one out there applying for Dental Hygiene and Therapy for 2021?!?!?!
Reply 13
Hi I’m really freaking out about applying because I don’t have anyyyyy experience and most people form here are coming from dental nursing, I’ve read around the subject and don’t an online course but it feels like it’s not enough and people are apparently already getting offers... I have no idea what to do I’m so scared and getting really bad anxiety
Original post by ira.m
Hi I’m really freaking out about applying because I don’t have anyyyyy experience and most people form here are coming from dental nursing, I’ve read around the subject and don’t an online course but it feels like it’s not enough and people are apparently already getting offers... I have no idea what to do I’m so scared and getting really bad anxiety

Hey, don’t worry about people getting offers and things, as long as you fit the requirements, even if you don’t have experience it’s still worth a shot. If you don’t have the requirements and still want to do hygiene and therapy; I recommend Dental hygiene and therapy Foundation year and Plymouth uni, which is one year extra and their requirements aren’t as harsh
Reply 15
Original post by Danial_jafari
Hey, don’t worry about people getting offers and things, as long as you fit the requirements, even if you don’t have experience it’s still worth a shot. If you don’t have the requirements and still want to do hygiene and therapy; I recommend Dental hygiene and therapy Foundation year and Plymouth uni, which is one year extra and their requirements aren’t as harsh

the thing is for foundation you have to fit the criteria i think, and also i have the grade requirements for it but I'm more scared that i dont have the personal statement they want because like i said many people are applying from dental nursing and have the work experience whereas i dont have any work experience because of corona virus, however i did read about the subject and did an online course in it
Original post by ira.m
the thing is for foundation you have to fit the criteria i think, and also i have the grade requirements for it but I'm more scared that i dont have the personal statement they want because like i said many people are applying from dental nursing and have the work experience whereas i dont have any work experience because of corona virus, however i did read about the subject and did an online course in it

If you don’t have experience then what I recommend perhaps contact your local dental practice and see if there is any way you can get involved experience-wise even during COVID and add that to your personal statement. Also if you don’t have experience, you just have to write about all the other things you’ve done, and talk about how interested you are in studying at the uni and studying this course. Just brag about it and even that could be enough.
Have you done any higher education access courses or something similar?
Reply 17
Original post by Danial_jafari
If you don’t have experience then what I recommend perhaps contact your local dental practice and see if there is any way you can get involved experience-wise even during COVID and add that to your personal statement. Also if you don’t have experience, you just have to write about all the other things you’ve done, and talk about how interested you are in studying at the uni and studying this course. Just brag about it and even that could be enough.
Have you done any higher education access courses or something similar?

I have tried to already and all said no, the only people that I know that are getting the experience are from their family members, and no one in my family is in that profession at all.
And no I havent had the chance to do the higher education access courses, I'm pretty sure its tool late for me too.
Original post by ira.m
I have tried to already and all said no, the only people that I know that are getting the experience are from their family members, and no one in my family is in that profession at all.
And no I havent had the chance to do the higher education access courses, I'm pretty sure its tool late for me too.

In your case the only other thing I can recommend is calling up Plymouth University and talking to admissions about this foundation year dental hygiene and therapy course
Hello everyone, I've applied to do DH/DT for 2021 intake at Newcastle, Teeside, Leeds, Essex and Bristol. I applied to Portsmouth directly too, unfortunately my application there has been unsuccessful due to not meeting their minimum requirements. I'm currently a full-time dental nurse with 13 years experience and this is the first time I've been in a financial position to be able to apply to uni (due to mortgage commitments) and hopefully it wont be the first of many years of applying, however I appreciate it is extremely competitive so that may be the case. My qualifications are;
GCSE's at grade C in Maths, English Lit', Double Science.
I recently took an iGCSE English Language exam to fulfil requirements where 5 GCSE's are asked for.
Dental nursing certificate.
I'm currently working on an Access HE diploma via Academy online learning and aiming to achieve 30 distinctions.
I also have a degree in English Language and Creative Writing that I completed via The Open Uni.
Good luck to you all with your applications and don't be disheartened by unsuccessful applications. Sometimes things take a little longer than we'd like but if we persevere it is possible.

Latest