Official Diagnostic Radiography applicants thread 2021

Watch
Manooka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are you applying to study Diagnostic Radiography at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:
Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
FerretPun
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I've just applied today as I'm 2020 cohort, so I already had grades. I got CCC in biology, maths and physics, resitting biology and maths in October and predicted a B in both.
I've applied to Queen Margaret's, Glasgow Caledonian, Robert Gordon and Teesside. Left slot 5 open on purpose as I've got plenty of time and am waiting on another uni to respond to an email query. Really hoping I get into one of the Scottish ones.
username5349562
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey

I’m applying for Diagnostic Radiography (2021 intake) at BCU, De Montfort and Derby, not too sure what my other options will be as I am a mature student settled in Birmingham and So limited by location so these are my most practical options!

Holding off on applying for now in case I can get some work experience in a hospital, but it’s not looking too likely atm!
silverg246
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I’m applying for Diagnostic Radiography (2021) at Leeds, Teeside, Exeter and Salford so far.

Question for everyone else applying, since it seems almost impossible for us to gain work experience in a hospital, what alternatives are you guys trying to improve your personal statement? And has anyone tried contacting universities to ask if they have any recommendations? Will the lack of hospital experience put us at a disadvantage?
username5349562
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by silverg246)
Hey, I’m applying for Diagnostic Radiography (2021) at Leeds, Teeside, Exeter and Salford so far.

Question for everyone else applying, since it seems almost impossible for us to gain work experience in a hospital, what alternatives are you guys trying to improve your personal statement? And has anyone tried contacting universities to ask if they have any recommendations? Will the lack of hospital experience put us at a disadvantage?
Hi! So I called BCU and they said that they understand the situation and that we will all be in the same boat when it comes to Radiography work exp. so it definitely won’t put you at a disadvantage not to do it. They recommended doing lots of research and reading around the subject instead. I asked also if getting some experience in working with people/care/volunteering would help and they said this is also a good way of showing your skills/qualities.
I’ve decided to take up a job as an NHS receptionist to help with my application just to get a feel for what it’s like etc and I’ve started volunteer work in my local area picking up litter!
I’m still hoping to get direct work experience as it’s the best way of getting a first hand view of what the job is like, but of course with the deadline being so soon I think most of us will be in the same position of not having any! I’d definitely recommend giving your uni options a call to confirm their stance on it but I think it will be much of the same! Good luck
Kogomogo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I'm also a wannabe radiographer, the competitiveness of the course is so daunting.

I've heard it's better to apply for university early as you can get an earlier interview / offer, but like a lot of others I have been unable to get work experience. Do you think it would it be better to leave my application until January in the hopes I might be able to secure work experience before any interviews (although I'm concerned it might not happen anyway at this rate), or would the advantages of applying early outweigh it?

Not sure how much value they are going to place on having it this year and whether to wait or not on submission.
jcb26
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by username5349562)
Hey

I’m applying for Diagnostic Radiography (2021 intake) at BCU, De Montfort and Derby, not too sure what my other options will be as I am a mature student settled in Birmingham and So limited by location so these are my most practical options!

Holding off on applying for now in case I can get some work experience in a hospital, but it’s not looking too likely atm!
Hi! I’m going to be applying for the same 3 unis as you for Diagnostic Radiography. I’m also a (somewhat) older student who is settled in Warwickshire so my top choice is BCU. I’ve heard from a current BCU radiography student that the placements can be anywhere across the country, she did one up near Liverpool and had to keep moving so I’m really concerned because this isn’t something I can do. Do you happen to know anything more about BCU placements, like are they able to place you near home if you cannot move? I’m freaking out about whether I should even apply! Thanks!
lhop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
BCU said on their recent virtual open day that they have over recruited for 2020 with the A level results confusion so not surprised that placements are all over the place. With Covid precautions too I bet they are just glad to be able to still have them taking place. They say on most of the courses you have to be prepared to travel and will rotate around a range of hospitals so can't guarantee to be near your residential address. I'd email them to see if they will take personal circumstances like childcare or family into account.
Kogomogo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jcb26)
Hi! I’m going to be applying for the same 3 unis as you for Diagnostic Radiography. I’m also a (somewhat) older student who is settled in Warwickshire so my top choice is BCU. I’ve heard from a current BCU radiography student that the placements can be anywhere across the country, she did one up near Liverpool and had to keep moving so I’m really concerned because this isn’t something I can do. Do you happen to know anything more about BCU placements, like are they able to place you near home if you cannot move? I’m freaking out about whether I should even apply! Thanks!
All the uni's i've looked into seem to have placements over a wide area, although I haven't come across any with nationwide placements the trusts can cover a large area. Some uni's say they will take personal circumstances into account and others say they can't, so might be worth asking the uni(s) you want directly if that is something they will consider. A lot of virtual open days are going on right now and that's a great place to ask that sort of thing too.

If it's any help all the uni's i've looked at have said they will reimburse accommodation and travel costs, so maybe that's something that would make the placements do-able for you. Some places seem to even have their own hospital provided accommodation.
MinnieW09
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm just submitting my application through UCAS.

Anyone know how long it takes to hear back/get offered an interview? I am assuming interviews will be online this year.
goldenpoop
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I posted this earlier and got no replies so hopefully I have more luck on here!

I am interested in doing radiography as a backup for med. Will ABB be competitive enough? As I already have ABC, and I am retaking two subjects.
As I understand there’s an interview involved and they might have many applicants who exceed the requirements so they may not invite me to interview. I am currently looking at leeds and exeter.

Has anyone else applied to these uni? If so, what were your grades?
MinnieW09
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by goldenpoop)
I posted this earlier and got no replies so hopefully I have more luck on here!

I am interested in doing radiography as a backup for med. Will ABB be competitive enough? As I already have ABC, and I am retaking two subjects.
As I understand there’s an interview involved and they might have many applicants who exceed the requirements so they may not invite me to interview. I am currently looking at leeds and exeter.

Has anyone else applied to these uni? If so, what were your grades?
Leeds and Exeter require ABB and BBB respectively so your predicted grades are in line with the requirements.

You might struggle including your passion for medicine and Diagnostic Radiography in one PS but if youre happy your PS conveys it all is ok 😀
goldenpoop
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
I would also like to know whether it is possible to apply to any other halls apart from the tannery, lupton or oxley.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.33%
I'm not sure (8)
2.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.33%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed