Manooka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are you applying to study Dietetics at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:
Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
tfpm80
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nice! Doesn't look like there is going to be much competition then? :blow: Just kidding. I know its still early :dance:

I'm still researching but it's looking like i'm going to apply for the 3 years BSc @ Coventry, Leeds, London Met, Hertfordshire and Chester.

I'm originally from Hull, Yorkshire, but at the moment living In Iceland and currently working through a Science Access Course.

Crossing my fingers for enough distinctions, trying to avoid the merits.
Last edited by tfpm80; 1 year ago
Chibiusa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Manooka)
Are you applying to study Dietetics at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:
Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
Hi, I'm also hoping to get a place in 2021. Just started the access course, so fingers crossed!
thinlizzie278484
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am hoping to apply next year to Leeds Met About to start my access to HE course in the next week or so. Good luck everyone
ShnuzzyWuz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Can I ask which access course you're doing? Is it a specific one for dietetics or a general science?
Chibiusa
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi, I'm doing Health Sciences which contains credits for biology and chemistry. It's worth checking with the chosen uni(s) to see if they accept them.
thinlizzie278484
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I am applying to dietetics at Leeds met this year. I am a mature applicant so completing an access course in biology and chemistry sometimes. I was told by one of the tutors at Leeds met that obtaining distinctions for all chemistry modules was the standard entry requirement. So no pressure

:confused:

Good luck everyone
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’ve applied to Newcastle, leeds Beckett, Cardiff met, Glasgow Caledonian and Chester
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey guys,

It's great to hear there's a thread for Dietetics applicants, I'm pleased to hear there are people discussing their options!

I'm a current student at Coventry University studying Dietetics and Human Nutrition. If anyone has any questions regarding the interviews, course, student life or anything Dietetics related, feel free to ask

Veronica
BSc Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
Happymom
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi there, I have applied for bsc dietetics and human nutrition in coventry uni. I have got an invitation for interview. Please would you let me know about interview? Thanks
JIHamilton
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hello, fellow future dietitians! My name is Jacob.
I'm studying Access to HE Science; 39cr biology, 15cr chemistry and 6cr study skill.
I'm not set just yet, but I think I will apply for Dietetics at Nottingham, Newcastle and Surrey and Nutrition at KCL and Leeds.

Feeling confident yet pretty nervous about the upcoming interviews!
I wish everybody the best of luck with their applications.
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Happymom)
Hi there, I have applied for bsc dietetics and human nutrition in coventry uni. I have got an invitation for interview. Please would you let me know about interview? Thanks
Hey Happymom,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding the interviews, they are usually no more than 15-20 minutes. These interviews are mandatory to assess your potential as a future dietitian, so they would be looking for what kind of qualities and skills you'd bring, what attracted you to dietetics, why you want to become a dietitian, what you believe a dietitian does and provide you with a scenario or two to see what you would do (there is no right or wrong answer).

I remember at the time I did my interview, I had it over skype and involved questions with the things I mentioned above.

However, given the circumstances, I am not entirely sure if there is more or less they would be looking for or if you would be asked to participate in some group activity as the interview process is different compared to prior to the pandemic.

I can ask for further information if you would like?

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions I'm happy to answer them.

Veronica
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Has anyone else had an interview for Leeds Beckett?
Happymom
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hey Happymom,

Thank you for your message.
Regarding the interviews, they are usually no more than 15-20 minutes. These interviews are mandatory to assess your potential as a future dietitian, so they would be looking for what kind of qualities and skills you'd bring, what attracted you to dietetics, why you want to become a dietitian, what you believe a dietitian does and provide you with a scenario or two to see what you would do (there is no right or wrong answer).

I remember at the time I did my interview, I had it over skype and involved questions with the things I mentioned above.

However, given the circumstances, I am not entirely sure if there is more or less they would be looking for or if you would be asked to participate in some group activity as the interview process is different compared to prior to the pandemic.

I can ask for further information if you would like?

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions I'm happy to answer them.

Veronica
Thank you
Lucyjames321
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Has anyone had an offer from Chester yet?
ivelupula
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hey guys,

It's great to hear there's a thread for Dietetics applicants, I'm pleased to hear there are people discussing their options!

I'm a current student at Coventry University studying Dietetics and Human Nutrition. If anyone has any questions regarding the interviews, course, student life or anything Dietetics related, feel free to ask

Veronica
I have applied for nutrition and dietetics at surrey and have been invited for an MMI interview on zoom, however, I am very stressed as I have no idea on the MMI format they will ask the questions. Is it just 6 scenarios and we have to say how we would respond to them or do they also ask general questions about you and stuff from your personal statement?
Lucyjames321
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ivelupula)
I have applied for nutrition and dietetics at surrey and have been invited for an MMI interview on zoom, however, I am very stressed as I have no idea on the MMI format they will ask the questions. Is it just 6 scenarios and we have to say how we would respond to them or do they also ask general questions about you and stuff from your personal statement?
Hi, I had my Surrey interview about 2 weeks ago. Don’t worry at all. I was so nervous and the interviewers were so so lovely. I had to sign a form to say I wouldn’t share the questions but my advice would be... make sure you know why you want to be a dietician and why you would be good. Good luck!
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey ivelupula,

Thank you for your message, I hope you're looking after yourself.

MMI just stands for multiple mini-interviews which are split into 'stations' that usually last around 10 minutes or so. The purpose of these kinds of interviews is for the interviewer to assess your different kinds of soft skills to give them a picture of what kind of candidate you are beside your grades. The main advantage is that there are multiple stations for you to demonstrate your abilities. Uni's who do these kinds of interviews will vary so I'm not entirely sure what Surrey's procedure is, but the common 'stations' interviewees are likely to face are role-play scenarios, professional judgement, prioritisation, giving instructions, calculation and data interpretations and PBL (problem-based learning) station.

Tips you can use to prepare for your MMI can be focusing on what you know or have learnt - this may be from previous experience, volunteering or a job. Being able to provide specific examples when giving a response can help get to the point of what you're trying to say. Knowing what it means to be a dietitian and what the job entails; having this knowledge means you can recognise certain skills you may have already and be able to apply that to your scenario. If you want to impress, have some knowledge in what you already know or have something in mind that fascinates the world of dietetics to you (e.g. something you're interested in learning or researching such as the long term adverse effects of oral supplement consumption or whatever takes your fancy).

Ways you can better your MMI include not second-guessing your answer. Usually, the scenarios you get have no certain yes or no answer as the interviewers focus on your thought process and why you make a certain decision. Don't prepare too much for your answers or the kind of scenarios you may be presented with. Ask, if you're confused with something, ask for clarification so you have a better understanding of what it is the interviewer is looking for. Listen carefully to what the interviewer is saying as they may be giving hints or prompts to guide you. Finally, be sensitive and compassionate as these are often communication-based. If you think about what it means to be a dietitian treating patients, a dietitian needs to be sensitive in how they come across and compassionate in their attitude and communication when encouraging positive changes for their patients.

Finally, it's okay to feel the way you feel. You care and you want to do well in your interview, so take advantage of how you feel and use that to encourage you to prepare in whatever way you can. These interviews are not out to trick you, but offer an opportunity to help demonstrate what you know, what you're willing to learn and why you want to become a dietitian!

Best of luck in your MMI, I hope things work in your favour

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Veronica
ivelupula
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Lucyjames321)
Hi, I had my Surrey interview about 2 weeks ago. Don’t worry at all. I was so nervous and the interviewers were so so lovely. I had to sign a form to say I wouldn’t share the questions but my advice would be... make sure you know why you want to be a dietician and why you would be good. Good luck!
Thank you so much!! How did you prepare for it? I've been trying to find some examples of MMI questions but they all seem to be orientated around medicine...
Lucyjames321
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thank you so much!! How did you prepare for it? I've been trying to find some examples of MMI questions but they all seem to be orientated around medicine...
They sent a booklet with an example on it, I just made sure I had a solid answer. But honestly if you know what dietetics is you’ll be absolutely fine. I was terrified but there was nothing to be scared about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (269)
57.73%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (63)
13.52%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.8%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.29%

Watched Threads