What is it like taking a joint course at Uni?

Watch
nialljhoran
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm applying to Exeter to take Theatre and Politics as combined flexible honours. What is it like taking a joint course like this?
musicalrose
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
^ I'd also love to know the answer to this as I want to take music and religious studies at uni
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
On a 'one subject' degree you usually do two separate units (individual courses) a term.
On joint subject courses you would do one in each subject.

Advantages - you get to see the connections between different subjects, and you get a broad education.
Disadvantages - you can only do 'half' the units that might be available in each of your subjects - this can sometimes be frustrating when timetable clashes determine what you can or can't take.
musicalrose
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
On a 'one subject' degree you usually do two separate units (individual courses) a term.
On joint subject courses you would do one in each subject.

Advantages - you get to see the connections between different subjects, and you get a broad education.
Disadvantages - you can only do 'half' the units that might be available in each of your subjects - this can sometimes be frustrating when timetable clashes determine what you can or can't take.
can you choose which units you want to take or do you get assigned units?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by musicalrose)
can you choose which units you want to take or do you get assigned units?
Compulsory - you have to take these.
Optional - choose which ones you want to do

All subjects at Uni will have a mix of compulsory and optional units - usually your first year has more compulsory units to give you basic groundwork knowledge and skills. If you are doing joint subjects, then you will be restricted which optional units you can do because of timetable clashes etc - you wont get the full choice of units in each subject.
musicalrose
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Compulsory - you have to take these.
Optional - choose which ones you want to do

All subjects at Uni will have a mix of compulsory and optional units - usually your first year has more compulsory units to give you basic groundwork knowledge and skills. If you are doing joint subjects, then you will be restricted which optional units you can do because of timetable clashes etc - you wont get the full choice of units in each subject.
Can you tell which optional will be restricted before you apply and/or finalise your course? Like would you be able to tell if one uni would allow you to do a specific option vs another one that wouldn't before you applied? Or do you only get your timetable once you apply and/or confirm your place?
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's pretty decent. I studied History, Politics and International Relations and found it helped understanding both topics/their interdependence in areas. Sometimes the workload did get a little hectic and different referencing styles confused me earlier on, but really liked that I had more freedom as to the topics for my final year undergrad dissertation.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by musicalrose)
Can you tell which optional will be restricted before you apply and/or finalise your course? Like would you be able to tell if one uni would allow you to do a specific option vs another one that wouldn't before you applied? Or do you only get your timetable once you apply and/or confirm your place?
If you check the detailed course description on the Uni website it should tell you which units are compulsory or optional.
And yes, you would only get to choose your optional courses in the weeks just before the start of your course - you certainly wouldnt be able to pick them on application!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nialljhoran)
I'm applying to Exeter to take Theatre and Politics as combined flexible honours. What is it like taking a joint course like this?
Hiya!

That sounds like a great mix! I study Marketing with Psychology and have found it a really nice balance. I have my course weighted marketing studies 60% and then psychology studies at 40% so overall had a few more marketing lectures a week than psychology. I didn't find it overwhelming or super challenging as the balance was pretty equal and despite having to reference differently in my psychology assessments than my marketing assessments I was always able to talk to my lecturers to ask any questions. I really recommend always emailing your lecturers if you have any queries as they will be happy to help you.

I have loved studying a joint honours degree as it offers lots of interesting topics so always keeps you on your toes! Hope you have the best time at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (72)
21.43%
No (264)
78.57%

Watched Threads