alireza280202
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

Originally I set about achieving high grades in the May 2020 IB exam session. However, due to coronavirus, these exams were cancelled. Despite being given a 7 in Physics, I was given 4s in Maths and Chem which means I will be able to apply to Imperial/Edinburgh/UCL. I am not looking to take exams in November as my remark appeal process prompted my coursework to take a massive hit, with barely a 4 in my math and chem IA. Therefore, although my teacher reference will come from my Physics teacher who knows me very well, I am concerned over where my predicted grades will come from. If I sit the May 2021 exams, should I ask for new predicted grades by doing Mocks before the UCAS deadline? Or should I enter as a private candidate for A level Maths and Further Maths, maybe taking mock exams at a test centre for my predicted?

I am very concerned and need help on this matter. I should make it clear however that I deserve to apply to the unis mentioned previously and this is not me "aiming for the stars."
Advertisement
Sarvienn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello there!

Sorry to hear what you've been through, it has been an extremely daunting process for students this year. Now, in relation to your grades, and if you'd like to resit them, I think its important that you choose where you get a predicted grade based on where you could get a higher one. Will your teachers at the current centre give you the grades they submitted to the exam board for your predicted? If so, will they be enough to make your application competitive enough? If they do make u sit for an exam, will you be able to get the score needed (in regards to your confidence).
Keep in mind there will be many in your position and some will be overpredicted already, but you have already achieved a set of grades in particula =r subjects so u might be at an advantage.

Hope that helps, all the best!
alireza280202
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Sarvienn)
Hello there!

Sorry to hear what you've been through, it has been an extremely daunting process for students this year. Now, in relation to your grades, and if you'd like to resit them, I think its important that you choose where you get a predicted grade based on where you could get a higher one. Will your teachers at the current centre give you the grades they submitted to the exam board for your predicted? If so, will they be enough to make your application competitive enough? If they do make u sit for an exam, will you be able to get the score needed (in regards to your confidence).
Keep in mind there will be many in your position and some will be overpredicted already, but you have already achieved a set of grades in particula =r subjects so u might be at an advantage.

Hope that helps, all the best!
Hi, predicted grades will likely come from mock exams which I think is the fairest thing considering the situation I have been forced into. That way, hopefully, I could apply this year to universities. I strongly believe that if I were to take the exams I would get 7s in Math, Chem and French, even though that seems quite "drastic" considering I have been given 4s and a 5. I am also preparing for the SAT exams just so I leave the option for Canada and the US open and have looked into applying to TU Delft/Eindhoven in the Netherlands as I am a national there. Is this a good plan?
Advertisement
Sarvienn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you are indeed confident of the mock examinations then yes, by all means get a good predicted grade and reapply. It seems like a good plan, where you have your options covered. However, do you have contingency plans as to what happens if the stated plans does not work out?

I can only offer you my opinion, and not an exact solution or definitive answer.

All the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (0)
0%
No (3)
100%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed