The Student Room Group

Official English Language & Linguistics applicants thread 2021

Are you applying to study English Language & Linguistics at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:

Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
(edited 3 years ago)
I am planning to study one semester in a university in the UK. I can choose and apply for 3 Universities from a selection. The Universities I can choose from are: Edinburgh, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, Exeter and Aberdeen.

So the process is: I select my 3 favorites in preferred order and then the "jury" of the programme allocates me one of those 3 Universities, which they find fitting for me individually.

So what I want to find out is which 3 of these universities are most known around the world and most reputable to the population.

From doing some research, I found out that Edinburgh is always #1 and then the other two places go to either Manchester or York.

My study subject is English linguistics, language and literature.

Could you guys provide me with some kind of 1. 2. 3. place ranking which of these univsities I should preferable apply for to study one semester? Edinburgh seems to be #1 but I am still not sure which universities would rank #2 and #3 in terms of reputation and prestige.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by Modern Polymath
I am planning to study one semester in a university in the UK. I can choose and apply for 3 Universities from a selection. The Universities I can choose from are: Edinburgh, Manchester, York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Royal Holloway, Exeter and Aberdeen.

So the process is: I select my 3 favorites in preferred order and then the "jury" of the programme allocates me one of those 3 Universities, which they find fitting for me individually.

So what I want to find out is which 3 of these universities are most known around the world and most reputable to the population.

From doing some research, I found out that Edinburgh is always #1 and then the other two places go to either Manchester or York.

My study subject is English linguistics, language and literature.

Could you guys provide me with some kind of 1. 2. 3. place ranking which of these univsities I should preferable apply for to study one semester? Edinburgh seems to be #1 but I am still not sure which universities would rank #2 and #3 in terms of reputation and prestige.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Those are all good unis and I think that if you're on exchange it doesn't really matter where you go anyway. Do you have any personal preferences in terms of location, campus/city uni, big/small town, course content, etc etc? Or what about weather and your budget -- Aberdeen is going to be freezing compared to Exeter and Royal Holloway will cost you twice as much as York :tongue:
Original post by nathan1403
Those are all good unis and I think that if you're on exchange it doesn't really matter where you go anyway. Do you have any personal preferences in terms of location, campus/city uni, big/small town, course content, etc etc? Or what about weather and your budget -- Aberdeen is going to be freezing compared to Exeter and Royal Holloway will cost you twice as much as York :tongue:

Thanks! ☺️
I prefer something like a busy modern city. The budget is no problem as I will get a grant and everything will be paid. Courses should be on Linguistics, literature and culture.
My first two places are Edinburgh and Manchester. Still not sure about the third though... Leaning towards York or Birmingham. 🤔
Hey, I'm applying for English language and French at Lancaster, Manchester, Warwick, Sheffield and probably Liverpool
Hi guys - a recent graduate here from The University of Sheffield.

I've just jumped in this thread quickly to highlight one of our upcoming virtual English taster sessions the University is holding, which is titled 'Playing with Silence: Ten things the poets don't want you to hear'. These sessions are all free, and the link to these is here.

It sounds like you guys are pretty set on studying English, which is great! These sessions, however, can you give you a really interesting look at University-style teaching and they are a great thing to include in a personal statement or talk about in an interview, as they show you've done your wider research and you're really passionate about your subject.

I can also see some of you guys are applying to Sheffield (shoutout to @JackDarley03), which is fab! Let me know if you have anymore questions about University-level teaching or University life at Sheffield in general! Good luck with your applications :smile:
- Ellie
Original post by Modern Polymath
Thanks! ☺️
I prefer something like a busy modern city. The budget is no problem as I will get a grant and everything will be paid. Courses should be on Linguistics, literature and culture.
My first two places are Edinburgh and Manchester. Still not sure about the third though... Leaning towards York or Birmingham. 🤔

Hey I do a combined degree for literature/linguistics in York, feel free to shoot me any questions! Linguistics is one of my favourite things so I'll try and answer as best as I can :hugs:
Reply 7
hi, I have applied to study English language and linguistics and have offers from Warwick, York, Lancaster, Southampton and Kent - I think York will be my firm choice. :smile:
Original post by g3mm
hi, I have applied to study English language and linguistics and have offers from Warwick, York, Lancaster, Southampton and Kent - I think York will be my firm choice. :smile:

Congrats on your offers!!
Original post by g3mm

Hi, I also received an offer from Warwick for linguistics! Still waiting to hear from UCL, KCL and Edinburgh :smile:
Original post by g3mm

Welcome to the dark side of York linguistics :vader:
I'm a current York student for literature/linguistics, feel free drop me a line if you have any questions!
Reply 11
Hey, @barror1. I'm thinking of firming York for German and Linguistics. Could you tell me how you have found your time at York and how the linguistics department is? Also do you know how flexible York is; ie could I take some English language modules even though I haven't specifically applied for that course? thanks!
Original post by Kay_O
Hey, @barror1. I'm thinking of firming York for German and Linguistics. Could you tell me how you have found your time at York and how the linguistics department is? Also do you know how flexible York is; ie could I take some English language modules even though I haven't specifically applied for that course? thanks!

I've really enjoyed my time at York so far (even if most of it has been indoors :sad:)
While I don't know the specifics about module choices, what I will say is that you have much more flexibility to take the options you want in your second and third year. Linguistics especially has a lot of prerequisite modules in first year but I see no reason why that would stop you from doing English language modules in your second or third year.
Your best bet is to email the admissions department and see what they say, but yeah even if you can't take them in first year I see no reason why you couldn't later on in your degree :yes:
Reply 13
Original post by barror1
Welcome to the dark side of York linguistics :vader:
I'm a current York student for literature/linguistics, feel free drop me a line if you have any questions!

Hi! I have now accepted my offer to come to York. :smile: Do you know if the department is big/popular or do groups (like numbers of students in lectures etc) tend to be smaller, more personal? I don't really have a preference but heard a range of answers at other unis' open days.
And also when are new students usually told about arrival dates/times?
Original post by g3mm
Hi! I have now accepted my offer to come to York. :smile: Do you know if the department is big/popular or do groups (like numbers of students in lectures etc) tend to be smaller, more personal? I don't really have a preference but heard a range of answers at other unis' open days.
And also when are new students usually told about arrival dates/times?

I haven't had much in-person contact but seminar groups tend to have around 10-15 people in them, making them medium/large! Lectures are usually quite large, especially since quite a few of them are compulsory in first year. However, the groups will become smaller when you choose your optional modules in second/third year which is nice :smile:
I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions! :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest