The Student Room Group

Official Mathematics applicants thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by laurawatt
:woohoo: hadn’t seen this thread before now!
I applied for oxford, exeter, nottingham, loughborough and lancaster :h:
Predicted A*A*A in maths, further and geography (and A in EPQ)
Got 3/5 offers so far :biggrin:

Grats! I only got 1/5 :/
Original post by cflau_

Thanks :smile: I just seemed to apply to universities that start giving out places fairly quickly! :lol: just waiting on Nottingham and Oxford now - how did you find the MAT?
Reply 82
Thanks :smile: I just seemed to apply to universities that start giving out places fairly quickly! :lol: just waiting on Nottingham and Oxford now - how did you find the MAT?

The MAT was ok, wasn't particularly hard nor easy IMO. I think I'd get enough marks for an interview. What about you?
Reply 83
Original post by GreenCub
Good luck to everyone applying this year. I’m a current 1st year doing maths at Cambridge (also applied to Imperial, Warwick, UCL and Birmingham) so if anyone has any questions about anything to do with applications/tests/interviews/PS writing then I’d be happy to answer them.

Hey! I’ve applied to King’s College, Cambridge for Mathematics. I am an international IB student, and my predicted grades are as follows: 44/45 total predicted, with a 7 in HL Mathematics AA and 7 in HL Physics (and a 7 in all other subjects, with 2/3 core points, as it happens). My only concern, however, is that I made a very slight error during the completion of the COPA form (the additional information form). I had mentioned that I would need to upload a transcript when, in actuality, one was not actually required from my part for my school is indeed considered a ‘UK school’. Whilst the transcript does of course have my predicted grades on it, it also includes Year 12 checkpoints, which are lower grades; our school has a peculiar system wherein they merely give out the grade that they think you would get if you were to sit the exam right then and there. I was really hoping that this wouldn’t be detrimental to my application, and that my predicted grades would still warrant an interview. Do you think you could let me know your thoughts on this? I would truly appreciate it :smile:
Original post by cflau_

Same
Reply 85
Original post by *****deadness
Same

now its 2/5 lmao i got an offer from warwick!
Original post by cflau_
The MAT was ok, wasn't particularly hard nor easy IMO. I think I'd get enough marks for an interview. What about you?

Congrats on your Warwick offer!
I think about the same as you tbh, but compared to others i'm not sure if i've done well enough for an interview - but i've got my fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 87
Congrats on your Warwick offer!
I think about the same as you tbh, but compared to others i'm not sure if i've done well enough for an interview - but i've got my fingers crossed! :smile:

Thanks! But I think Warwick hasnt considered my MAT, since in the requirements it had the STEP/TMUA requirement. I'm sure you did good enough! Good luck!
Original post by cflau_
Thanks! But I think Warwick hasnt considered my MAT, since in the requirements it had the STEP/TMUA requirement. I'm sure you did good enough! Good luck!

Urgh...sucks to have to take STEP. I hope you get your oxford offer then!
Reply 89
Urgh...sucks to have to take STEP. I hope you get your oxford offer then!

From the Warwick email, they say that MAT can substitute STEP, so it is fine. Thanks for your good luck! Good luck to you too!
Original post by cflau_
From the Warwick email, they say that MAT can substitute STEP, so it is fine. Thanks for your good luck! Good luck to you too!

Yeah...not sure I really wanna go to the UK anyway. The universities here are rubbish but I feel like being stuck abroad is a lot worse. Thanks though
Reply 91
Yeah...not sure I really wanna go to the UK anyway. The universities here are rubbish but I feel like being stuck abroad is a lot worse. Thanks though

With offers at least you can choose. There are obstacles stuck abroad, but I believe everything will turn out okay.
Original post by cflau_

Warwick will remove the STEP requirement from your offer if you get above a certain mark (~60) in the MAT, but they usually don't update it this early - you may have to wait quite a while for the requirement to be taken off. I seem to remember mine being as late as January or so.
Original post by cflau_
With offers at least you can choose. There are obstacles stuck abroad, but I believe everything will turn out okay.

I've been to a UK boarding school and that was the start of my life going really down a cliff, so I'm really not sure
Reply 94
Original post by GreenCub
Warwick will remove the STEP requirement from your offer if you get above a certain mark (~60) in the MAT, but they usually don't update it this early - you may have to wait quite a while for the requirement to be taken off. I seem to remember mine being as late as January or so.

Oh, that is quite late. Nevermind then, I thought they are gonna take it off soon lol. Thanks for telling me this - at least I don't need to worry about this every day now!
Reply 95
I've been to a UK boarding school and that was the start of my life going really down a cliff, so I'm really not sure

Oh what happened? Maybe in UK unis you won't encounter this issue. If you really want to study Mathematics though and you think local universities are not enough, maybe you need a compromise :/
Original post by cflau_
Oh what happened? Maybe in UK unis you won't encounter this issue. If you really want to study Mathematics though and you think local universities are not enough, maybe you need a compromise :/

Maths is the only thing I can bear doing, and I'm inclined towards the local ones and a mediocre career rather than risk dropping out again. I really don't think I'll survive 12 hour plane rides and living in a dorm for most of the year
Reply 97
Maths is the only thing I can bear doing, and I'm inclined towards the local ones and a mediocre career rather than risk dropping out again. I really don't think I'll survive 12 hour plane rides and living in a dorm for most of the year

Oh that is unfortunate. Not all local courses in Mathematics are that bad though, and I'm sure you would have a great career! Maybe in UK unis there are resources you can utilize resolve your potential problems though. No matter what, the decision to leave is not extremely urgent right now anyway; you can start seriously deciding once you receive all your offers from UK!
Original post by cflau_
Oh that is unfortunate. Not all local courses in Mathematics are that bad though, and I'm sure you would have a great career! Maybe in UK unis there are resources you can utilize resolve your potential problems though. No matter what, the decision to leave is not extremely urgent right now anyway; you can start seriously deciding once you receive all your offers from UK!

Yeah true, but still something to think about nonetheless. I've heard local university graduates earning only like 16k a month, and many more indeed unemployed, so I really don't think great careers go for everyone. I feel like their resources stop before teleportation services back home every night, and can only go so far for me
Reply 99
Yeah true, but still something to think about nonetheless. I've heard local university graduates earning only like 16k a month, and many more indeed unemployed, so I really don't think great careers go for everyone. I feel like their resources stop before teleportation services back home every night, and can only go so far for me

I think its more of a local employability problem not local unis problem. Anyhow, yeah it does sound like you are in a dilemma. Good luck though, I'm sure you can make a good final decision!

Quick Reply

Latest