The Student Room Group

Official Mechanical Engineering applicants thread 2021

Are you applying to study Mechanical Engineering at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:

Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
Applying to MMU and University of Salford and University of Manchester
I don't know weather to do mechanical or automotive engineering, i want to learn about cars, interior exterior and how they work , get made etc...
Original post by hxrrisxli
Applying to MMU and University of Salford and University of Manchester
I don't know weather to do mechanical or automotive engineering, i want to learn about cars, interior exterior and how they work , get made etc...

You wont learn the ins & outs about how a car works in an engineering degree, you learn how to apply physics to solving real world problems. In an automotive degree you will get more application to cars but if you want to learn everything about cars you'll need to actively look into it yourself.

For example in a mechanical degree you'll learn thermodynamics and heat transfer and about how energy moves, in an automotive (or some auto focused mechanical degrees) they will teach you how this relates to an engine i.e. the Otto cycle and you'll learn about energy flow through the combustion cycle and you might even learn the main components but, if you really want to learn everything about engines and cars you'll have to look beyond the degree.

Their is a lot to a car more then anyone can comprehend, if you want to know about interior trim: look it up, want to know about active suspension, ESC, variable transmissions, how they stamp mold body panels, crash can safety or much MUCH more you will just have to make it a hobby. The degree will teach you engineering problem solving.
Original post by mnot
You wont learn the ins & outs about how a car works in an engineering degree, you learn how to apply physics to solving real world problems. In an automotive degree you will get more application to cars but if you want to learn everything about cars you'll need to actively look into it yourself.

For example in a mechanical degree you'll learn thermodynamics and heat transfer and about how energy moves, in an automotive (or some auto focused mechanical degrees) they will teach you how this relates to an engine i.e. the Otto cycle and you'll learn about energy flow through the combustion cycle and you might even learn the main components but, if you really want to learn everything about engines and cars you'll have to look beyond the degree.

Their is a lot to a car more then anyone can comprehend, if you want to know about interior trim: look it up, want to know about active suspension, ESC, variable transmissions, how they stamp mold body panels, crash can safety or much MUCH more you will just have to make it a hobby. The degree will teach you engineering problem solving.

Thank you very much and yes i do my own research as well because cars is really my passion but ,much appreciated
Applied to Warwick, Nottingham, Loughbrough, Bath & Manchester 25th Jan. Offers received from Warwick & Nottingham so far.
Why is it so dead here for Mechanical Engineering? Is there any group chats for Nottingham applicants?
Received offers from all 5 unis I applied for. Very grateful
Applied to imperial, UCL, manchester and bristol. Alrd got offer from manchester and bristol but rejected by imperial. My preds and actual grade is 4A* for math, further math, physics, and chemistry. My ps included solidwork project that i did, exhibition for machine that i went, internship, and I was the president of the club in my highschool. But after get rejected by imperial, i start to doubt whether my grade, my achievment and my experience is good enough to get in a top uni... Still w8ing decision of UCL..
Original post by yiheng0420
Applied to imperial, UCL, manchester and bristol. Alrd got offer from manchester and bristol but rejected by imperial. My preds and actual grade is 4A* for math, further math, physics, and chemistry. My ps included solidwork project that i did, exhibition for machine that i went, internship, and I was the president of the club in my highschool. But after get rejected by imperial, i start to doubt whether my grade, my achievment and my experience is good enough to get in a top uni... Still w8ing decision of UCL..

It's a vey tough year for uni applications. It doesn't reflect your true abilities but we are all in the same boat. We can survive this
Original post by WolfgangPauli
Why is it so dead here for Mechanical Engineering? Is there any group chats for Nottingham applicants?

Hi, by any chance did you find anything? I have firmed Nottingham and intend to go there this september, however all of the groups I have found online have primarily been trying to advertise fresher week events, rather than connecting like minded students.

Quick Reply

Latest