Manooka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are you applying to study Mechanical Engineering at University in 2021?
Then this is the place for you!
:danceboy:
Post below with details about your...

Course:
Universities you're applying to:

Share as much detail as you’d like and connect with other students!

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here as well as subject applicant threads here >>
hxrrisxli
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Applying to MMU and University of Salford and University of Manchester
I don't know weather to do mechanical or automotive engineering, i want to learn about cars, interior exterior and how they work , get made etc...
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hxrrisxli)
Applying to MMU and University of Salford and University of Manchester
I don't know weather to do mechanical or automotive engineering, i want to learn about cars, interior exterior and how they work , get made etc...
You wont learn the ins & outs about how a car works in an engineering degree, you learn how to apply physics to solving real world problems. In an automotive degree you will get more application to cars but if you want to learn everything about cars you'll need to actively look into it yourself.

For example in a mechanical degree you'll learn thermodynamics and heat transfer and about how energy moves, in an automotive (or some auto focused mechanical degrees) they will teach you how this relates to an engine i.e. the Otto cycle and you'll learn about energy flow through the combustion cycle and you might even learn the main components but, if you really want to learn everything about engines and cars you'll have to look beyond the degree.

Their is a lot to a car more then anyone can comprehend, if you want to know about interior trim: look it up, want to know about active suspension, ESC, variable transmissions, how they stamp mold body panels, crash can safety or much MUCH more you will just have to make it a hobby. The degree will teach you engineering problem solving.
hxrrisxli
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mnot)
You wont learn the ins & outs about how a car works in an engineering degree, you learn how to apply physics to solving real world problems. In an automotive degree you will get more application to cars but if you want to learn everything about cars you'll need to actively look into it yourself.

For example in a mechanical degree you'll learn thermodynamics and heat transfer and about how energy moves, in an automotive (or some auto focused mechanical degrees) they will teach you how this relates to an engine i.e. the Otto cycle and you'll learn about energy flow through the combustion cycle and you might even learn the main components but, if you really want to learn everything about engines and cars you'll have to look beyond the degree.

Their is a lot to a car more then anyone can comprehend, if you want to know about interior trim: look it up, want to know about active suspension, ESC, variable transmissions, how they stamp mold body panels, crash can safety or much MUCH more you will just have to make it a hobby. The degree will teach you engineering problem solving.
Thank you very much and yes i do my own research as well because cars is really my passion but ,much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.49%
I'm not sure (32)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.32%
I'm not a current university student (356)
48.5%

Watched Threads