The Student Room Group

Official PlayStation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Even £550/$600 I think would be too much if Microsoft are willing to bite the bullet and go $500.

I don't think the phone argument particularly applies here given really the phones are a status symbol, people doing it to be able to say "look at me, I have the money to splash out on a £1000 phone every year or two" which you don't get with a box that sits in the corner.

If Microsoft can get a half decent console exclusive lineup, which they should given how many studios they've gobbled up even though I doubt they will because they're good at closing those studios and doing nothing with the IPs, they should be in a strong position with those who have no particular brand loyalty, even more so among those who want a console to play the latest CoD and GTA where the exclusives don't really matter.

At the end of the day all either console will have going for it over the other will be exclusives and price given they appear to have very similar performance, at least on paper (and I'm not convinced the PS5 SSD is as magical as they want to make out, not least given the UE5 demo was run on a laptop...)
Ok, I had no intention of buying a PS5 but if Cyberpunk Cat Simulator is an exclusive then I'm buying one.
Did they seriously advertise the controller being USB as if it's a major feature?
Original post by Jammy Duel
Did they seriously advertise the controller being USB as if it's a major feature?

And the headphone jack.
Oh look, yet another female protagonist...
I'm wondering just how few of these games are exclusives given how long it's been since a point was made about being exclusive

Yeah, onto stuff like Hitman so well past exclusives
(edited 3 years ago)
Apologies if this is too off-topic but does anyone on this thread think that one of the big companies will come out with a VR console in the next few years?
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Apologies if this is too off-topic but does anyone on this thread think that one of the big companies will come out with a VR console in the next few years?

wdym VR console?

There is already Playstation VR which one would assume will continue to be supported by the PS5, not sure if Microsoft have anything in development
Original post by LiberOfLondon

Definitely not a VR-only console, at least not this generation. We'll get a new PSVR for PS5 and odds are Microsoft will finally release something for the Series X, but VR hasn't seen anywhere near the uptake in the console space as the PC market has.
(edited 3 years ago)
But then the console space traditionally has people less willing to splash out the amount required for good VR hardware, there is still a lot of maturity to go with VR, and then you have that the hardware hasn't really been there for VR on the console side, I guess with PS4 Pro and One X but how high was the uptake on those consoles?
Looks like they're going for aesthetics over performance, I forsee cooling issues that the Series X simply should not face

Did they not learn from Xbox One with that Camera...something people won't want and just adds to the cost. Sell it as a peripheral
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm wondering just how few of these games are exclusives given how long it's been since a point was made about being exclusive

Yeah, onto stuff like Hitman so well past exclusives

if it says playstation studio, its exclusive (so horizon, ratchet, spidey, gran turismo, bunch of others).
microsoft is pushing mixed reality from 3rd parties and hololens. from what I gather, they may unveil a consumer friendly AR device in 2021 (think hololens but looks more like a google glass).
Looks like they're going for aesthetics over performance, I forsee cooling issues that the Series X simply should not face

Did they not learn from Xbox One with that Camera...something people won't want and just adds to the cost. Sell it as a peripheral

knowing sony, the headset, camera and dock will be peripherals sold separately or as a launch bundle like ps4.
But then the console space traditionally has people less willing to splash out the amount required for good VR hardware, there is still a lot of maturity to go with VR, and then you have that the hardware hasn't really been there for VR on the console side, I guess with PS4 Pro and One X but how high was the uptake on those consoles?

Yeah I don't doubt it's still got a lot of maturing to do, but I don't think we'll see it do enough of that to see a dedicated VR console for a few years even as we move into a new generation that's VR capable from day one. Maybe around the time we see a mid-generation refresh we'll see them cater more to it but I think the focus will remain squarely on

I got the impression that it was just showing off additional first party peripherals in that reel and not implying they're universally bundled, I can't imagine every console will be shipping with an over-ear headset and charging cradle.

seeing pictures of it, it looks thicker than a 1st gen ps3 (which is thicker than a ps4 pro). it is a chunky boy but nowhere as big as xboxsx.
Here it is ladies and gentlemen, the 1st look at the PS5

to me, the shape reminds me of the 2012/2013 f1 cars which had similar shap near the engine covers to allow better airflow
(edited 3 years ago)
People are saying it looks like a router :rofl:

Srsly tho, I'm hyped
Conspiracy time; they deliberately made the disk equipped model overly thicc to encourage people to buy the digital version.

Quick Reply

Latest