annamaria19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have just started my first year of IB, and I want to go study political science/international relations in university. I just wanted to ask if you think that my extracurriculars are enough. I am not striving towards Oxbridge or anything like that, but if I'm going to the UK, I want to go to a good university. I will probably apply to LSE, but that is the biggest reach.
These are my extracurriculars:
*vice president at my school's student government
*activist at the whole country's student union
*member of a political party's youth wing, and I am going to be helping with the local elections coming up next year
*volunteering at a library
*I have a social commentary blog
*I am also part of another youth organisation, but I don't know yet what my role is going to be or if it's going to be a big responsibility
*MUN is happening in October and I am taking part
*I play the piano
*I also sometimes volunteer at my country's Ministry of Foreign Affair's Eastern branch
*writer at the school newspaper
The reason why I'm asking is that I can't have any more responsibilities. I am not so sure I want to have the vice president's position at my student government, and I just thought that maybe I want to a be a leader of a certain group. I am very close to a breaking point because I am constantly exhausted.
hw8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Short answer, yes
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Advice here : https://www.unitasterdays.com/univer...-wider-reading
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi!!

I believe so!! This is amazing

Good luck

Marlena - Official Student Rep
annamaria19
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!!

I believe so!! This is amazing

Good luck

Marlena - Official Student Rep
Thank you! Do you think it's still okay if I am not the vice president of the student government? If I just do some other projects? I just don't have the energy anymore to do it and to be frank, I don't believe in our president, so I don't feel motivated to put in so much effort.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by annamaria19)
Thank you! Do you think it's still okay if I am not the vice president of the student government? If I just do some other projects? I just don't have the energy anymore to do it and to be frank, I don't believe in our president, so I don't feel motivated to put in so much effort.
Unis don't particularly care about things not directly related to your chosen course choice. The best things are online courses, books, podcasts etc. and talking about why they are interesting
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
just looking at the list without actually reading, yes :lol:

reading the whole list, still yes :yep:
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You have more than enough. Oxford only care about ECs related to your course. Stop worrying about them, and concentrate on academics - that's what they care most about. Why not Oxbridge? Good luck.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 2 months ago
annamaria19
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You have more than enough. Oxford only care about ECs related to your course. Stop worrying about them, and concentrate on academics - that's what they care most about. Why not Oxbridge? Good luck.
Thank you for responding I am not really considering Oxbridge because I am very certain that I won't be accepted, and to be honest I am not really drawn to either of the universities. Do only grades fall under academics or is there anything else?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for responding I am not really considering Oxbridge because I am very certain that I won't be accepted, and to be honest I am not really drawn to either of the universities. Do only grades fall under academics or is there anything else?
I was only thinking of grades - you have more than enough outside of those.

A lot of people that got in didn't think that they would. Apply where you want to go, but don't believe everything that you've heard about Oxbridge.

London is expensive - I've just paid for my son at Imperial. Oxbridge is cheaper, IMO.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads