username5388438
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
How do you? I know you can’t get a student loan for the government. I really want to do one but can’t really afford one unless someone in my family dies and I get inheritance ( joke) but seriously where can you get funding?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mathematicsgir)
How do you? I know you can’t get a student loan for the government. I really want to do one but can’t really afford one unless someone in my family dies and I get inheritance ( joke) but seriously where can you get funding?
1. You get a decent TC and the firm pays for you.
2. I have a feeling some providers have done a course where the GDL is classed as an MA or LLM, less common than the providers who have disguised the LPC as an LLM, but it gives access to the postrgard masters loan. The rest you save.

I would be looking for option 1.
username5388438
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
1. You get a decent TC and the firm pays for you.
2. I have a feeling some providers have done a course where the GDL is classed as an MA or LLM, less common than the providers who have disguised the LPC as an LLM, but it gives access to the postrgard masters loan. The rest you save.

I would be looking for option 1.
Oh I’m doing an LLM! So you’re saying it MAY be possible to use that as a GDL and then do an LPC?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh I’m doing an LLM! So you’re saying it MAY be possible to use that as a GDL and then do an LPC?
That's not how it works - You'd have to already be doing an integrated LLM/GDL to receive the funding. It'd essentially be a GDL with a dissertation tacked on the end, to be enough to qualify as a Master's.
Last edited by MidgetFever; 2 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Nope its as Midget just said.
Why are you doing an LLM? You would have been more sensible imo to save that postgraduate loan for the GDL or LPC.

Btw there are 2 types of LLM. 1 Academic where you learn lots of black letter law. 2. LLM that is really the LPC in disguise, which is the LPC content and an essay. This second type came into being specifically to take advantage of the postgraduate loan. Presumably you have already used this, so you need to look for the money from elsewhere.

In your situation it may make more sense to follow the SQE route which comes into operation next year and replaces both the GDL and.LPC. You can look those up.
username5388438
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Nope its as Midget just said.
Why are you doing an LLM? You would have been more sensible imo to save that postgraduate loan for the GDL or LPC.

Btw there are 2 types of LLM. 1 Academic where you learn lots of black letter law. 2. LLM that is really the LPC in disguise, which is the LPC content and an essay. This second type came into being specifically to take advantage of the postgraduate loan. Presumably you have already used this, so you need to look for the money from elsewhere.

In your situation it may make more sense to follow the SQE route which comes into operation next year and replaces both the GDL and.LPC. You can look those up.
I don’t think you get a postgraduate loan from SFE as student finance. Also I didn’t really know I wanted to go down the law route until I accepted my LLM. I don’t mind doing a GDL and LPC after. At first I thought I might be too old but it would just be the same as my friends doing a gap year if that makes sense.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t think you get a postgraduate loan from SFE as student finance. Also I didn’t really know I wanted to go down the law route until I accepted my LLM. I don’t mind doing a GDL and LPC after. At first I thought I might be too old but it would just be the same as my friends doing a gap year if that makes sense.
1.Your post doesnt make much sense.
2. Yes you can use a postgrad loan for LPC or GDL disguised as a postgrad degree.
3. As I said you can consider doing the SQE route instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (3)
11.11%
No (24)
88.89%

Watched Threads