sahil.multani
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello, I am currently doing the extended diploma in applied science which is equivalent to 3 a levels but i am unsure if i can go ahead and study medicine in the future as its not actual A levels, could someone help me out? thanks
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
BTEC or Cambridge Tech qualifications might be 'equivalent to 3 A levels' in terms of study-load but that does not mean that all Universities will accept them instead of 3 A levels.

These qualifications are more 'vocational' and practical in focus, and are not as heavily 'academic' as A levels.
For this reason many Universities will not always accept them, others may insist on certain units within them, or only accept them alongside an A level.

In terms of Medicine, no University will accept this qualification on its own for a 5 year Medicine degree.
However, you may find that Foundation courses, and Gateway to Medicine courses, will accept this.
For instance, the Gateway to Medicine course at Bristol is a 6 year degree (1 year 'Gateway' course and then automatic entry to the 5 year Medicine degree), and is a 'widening participation course' meaning you are only eligible if you went to a low-performing state school and do not have the grades/qualifications to apply for direct entry to the 5 year course.

For the 5 year course at Bristol the BTEC Entry requirement is 'DDD in Applied Science (Biomedical) plus A-level Chemistry. Distinctions may be requested in specified units' - so you could think about doing A level Chemistry later if you did get good enough BTEC grades. OR for the Gateway program its 'DMM in an Applied Sciences, Medical Sciences, or Health and Social Care (Science pathway)' (without the need for the additional A level).

This is just one example - lots of other Universities have similar 'entry routes' to Medicine that may be appropriate for your qualifications.
kingpin x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I just want to say that doing a BTEC shouldn't stop you from chasing your dreams. Find a solution; it might take you time to get there but if you know deep down that medicine is the career you want to go for then why should you let a qualification stop you from fulfilling that profession? Yes, it might take you an extra couple of years but why not? It's your life. Do your research and see what you can do with the Applied Science course. Make sure you get the highest grades you can, get some experience in a medical sector and talk to those who are already studying medicine. I know someone who got a triple distinction star in Applied Science and he went onto do biomedical science - got a first degree and he is now in medical school.
tiktoksensation
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi. I'm also doing Applied Science and I know of a few people on my course who are interested in Medicine. The BTEC normally isn't considered for standard/5-year courses but it can be considered for foundation/6-year courses if you meet certain widening participation criteria. You also have graduate/4-year courses which are for those who already have a degree in a related subject (e.g. Biomedical Science). I would say the foundation courses are your best bet since they're much less competitive to get on to and you would receive full funding throughout. If you were to do a graduate course, you would have to fit some of the tuition fee bill yourself and you would receive much less maintenance funding as well. Either way though you can progress to Medicine from a BTEC, it's just not as clear cut than if you were doing A Levels.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
There is a section of TSR for 'Applying for Medicine' - lots of information and advice about all different aspects of the process : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (23)
16.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (47)
33.33%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.93%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.93%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.96%
I think it's an unfair expectation (33)
23.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.13%

Watched Threads