Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I no longer want my family surname as my parents were abusive when I was younger? How do I change it?
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
get married
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-...dult-deed-poll
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Talk with a Lawyer and they will go to court and get your name changed for you let them know what you want your new surname to be then you will get a deed poll sent to you with your new surname
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Scottishlad888)
Talk with a Lawyer and they will go to court and get your name changed for you let them know what you want your new surname to be then you will get a deed poll sent to you with your new surname
why do you need a lawyer and to go to court?
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by black tea)
why do you need a lawyer and to go to court?
Well you cant just change your name to any name you wish to you get a Lawyer and the Lawyer goes to court and tells the judge this person would like to be known by this new name the just says yes thats fine the judge sings the paper work and a thing called a deadpool gets drawn up and you need to change your passport and everything else to your new name
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well you cant just change your name to any name you wish to you get a Lawyer and the Lawyer goes to court and tells the judge this person would like to be known by this new name the just says yes thats fine the judge sings the paper work and a thing called a deadpool gets drawn up and you need to change your passport and everything else to your new name
Fair enough. I thought you could apply to change your name via deed poll online, didn't realise it was that complicated.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fair enough. I thought you could apply to change your name via deed poll online, didn't realise it was that complicated.
l understand what you are saying but the Government likes to keep tabs on everyone in the UK when people change there name even the police get told as everyone has a police file even if you have not been in trouble with the police yes everything is very complicated thats why its not very easy to open a bank account as there is far to many crooks going about
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
l understand what you are saying but the Government likes to keep tabs on everyone in the UK when people change there name even the police get told as everyone has a police file even if you have not been in trouble with the police yes everything is very complicated thats why its not very easy to open a bank account as there is far to many crooks going about
Since when is it hard to open a bank account?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you're over 16 that isn't necessary at all, a solicitor can do a deed poll without going to court
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Since when is it hard to open a bank account?
In Scotland its not very easy to open a bank account you need lots of paperwork ?
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In Scotland its not very easy to open a bank account you need lots of paperwork ?
I live in Scotland and I don't remember it being particularly difficult. But maybe things have changed since I opened my bank account.
2_versions
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can do it online for like a tenner you don't need a lawyer or anything
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I live in Scotland and I don't remember it being particularly difficult. But maybe things have changed since I opened my bank account.
Yes now its very difficult for people to open bank accounts things have changed l have had my bank account for many years as well
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In England, at least, you can complete a deed poll online, pay a fee and it comes in the post. Maybe it's diffferent in other countries but you definitely don't need a lawyer or to go to court to change your name in England.
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
In England, at least, you can complete a deed poll online, pay a fee and it comes in the post. Maybe it's diffferent in other countries but you definitely don't need a lawyer or to go to court to change your name in England.
In Scotland you do
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No requirement to go to court in Scotland

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...g-your-name-s/
Scottishlad888
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
No requirement to go to court in Scotland

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sc...g-your-name-s/
When l had my details changed my Lawyer went to court on my behalf my stuff was a bit more complicated thats going back a good few years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads