Driving test tomorrow at 12.40. What tips can you give me?

Watch
hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there. This is my third test and I was fortunate to be able to even book it because of the ordeal with the DVSA website and how oversubscribed it all is now.
I failed my first two both for going at mini roundabouts when I shouldn't have.
When I get nervous I become really rushed. I drive too quickly and make judgements too quickly.
What tips can you give me tomorrow: general and for nerves?
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hopeful-lawyer)
Hi there. This is my third test and I was fortunate to be able to even book it because of the ordeal with the DVSA website and how oversubscribed it all is now.
When I get nervous I become really rushed. I drive too quickly and make judgements too quickly.
I guess for nerves just try and distract your mind. There's not much you can do now other than to be as relaxed as you can!

I have my theory test tomorrow! Any tips for the hazard perception? Were the hazards easy to spot?
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
?
(Original post by royalty1702)
I guess for nerves just try and distract your mind. There's not much you can do now other than to be as relaxed as you can!

I have my theory test tomorrow! Any tips for the hazard perception? Were the hazards easy to spot?
Unfortunately, no matter the subject, I can't seem to distract myself.

The theory is much easier than you think. If you're prepared, you shouldn't worry. The hazards were (in my opinion) the same difficulty as the official app, but some were slightly easier.
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unfortunately, no matter the subject, I can't seem to distract myself.

The theory is much easier than you think. If you're prepared, you shouldn't worry. The hazards were (in my opinion) the same difficulty as the official app, but some were slightly easier.
and all CGI right?

You must have has the nerves before? Can you remember what you did that helped calmed you down? Maybe listening to some music, doing some chores, etc...
Desiree8
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally for me i just pretended that the examiner was my instructor. Luckily your not in rush hour so everything is calmer. I did mine on a Saturday and i was the only person. Best thing ever
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
?
(Original post by royalty1702)
and all CGI right?

You must have has the nerves before? Can you remember what you did that helped calmed you down? Maybe listening to some music, doing some chores, etc...
I wasn't nervous for the theory if I'm honest. I was slightly anxious but because you get so much time you get comfortable after a while.

(Original post by Desiree8)
Personally for me i just pretended that the examiner was my instructor. Luckily your not in rush hour so everything is calmer. I did mine on a Saturday and i was the only person. Best thing ever
Mine was originally for a Saturday and was cancelled due to Covid-19 outbreak in March. I feel like my time tomorrow is going to be busy and the fear of getting the same examiner for a third time is worrying me. Thanks!
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
gl
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
?
(Original post by vix.xvi)
gl
Thank you:^_^:
aminajama
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, My advice to you is to remember that you got this. Make a lot of positive self-talk, affirmations in the morning, during the commute to the test centre, and during the test. This will help you ease you anxieties and worries. Pep talk and confidence are the key ingredients ☺️ Secondary, anticipate ahead. Slow down and think over what's expected of you during mini roundabouts. Drive within 10-15m/hr. This will give you better control of the vehicle.Thirdly, forget about your previous tests. Don't project failure into this test. You got this. You know yourself and what you are capable off. You will pass!
Last edited by aminajama; 1 month ago
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
?
(Original post by aminajama)
Hi, My advice to you is to remember that you got this. Make a lot of positive self-talk, affirmations in the morning, during the commute to the test centre, and during the test. This will help you ease you anxieties and worries. Pep talk and confidence are the key ingredients ☺️ Secondary, anticipate ahead. Slow down and think over what's expected of you during mini roundabouts. Drive within 10-15m/hr. Thus will give you better control of the vehicle.Thirdly, forget about your previous tests. Don't project failure into this test. You got this. You know yourself and what you are capable of. You will pass!
Thank you so much. You are right, I need to be confident and think things through. I always am going too fast, and my issues with driving have always been because of speed (due to nerves). I am confident in general with my driving, but the second I think about doing a test I worry. Maybe this is because my first two fails caused my examiner to emergency stop, so it was quite sudden and they both happened at the end (within five minutes of the end of the test).
catastrophe—
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do the same thing too! My driving instructor always says to slow down early before you get to the mini roundabout so you have time to ‘read’ it and decide whether you should go or not, and if in doubt stop! Good luck, believe in yourself and i’m sure you’ll pass!
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
?
(Original post by catastrophe—)
I do the same thing too! My driving instructor always says to slow down early before you get to the mini roundabout so you have time to ‘read’ it and decide whether you should go or not, and if in doubt stop! Good luck, believe in yourself and i’m sure you’ll pass!
Thank you so much. I know I have to slow down, but the second I get nervous I rush everything because I don't want to waste time or hold up traffic (which I never do, but I worry about)!
aminajama
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much. You are right, I need to be confident and think things through. I always am going too fast, and my issues with driving have always been because of speed (due to nerves). I am confident in general with my driving, but the second I think about doing a test I worry. Maybe this is because my first two fails caused my examiner to emergency stop, so it was quite sudden and they both happened at the end (within five minutes of the end of the test).
Yeh, with most people the nerves ruins for them. It's not because they are not preparSo, ask yourself, "why I'm I nervous?" Talk to yourself like a third person, like you are talking to a person that you love and are genuinely giving advice. Put things into perspective. Tell yourself, "this will be all over in less than an hour. Good luck! 🤗
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
?
(Original post by aminajama)
Yeh, with most people the nerves ruins for them. It's not because they are not preparSo, ask yourself, "why I'm I nervous?" Talk to yourself like a third person, like you are talking to a person that you love and are genuinely giving advice. Put things into perspective. Tell yourself, "this will be all over in less than an hour. Good luck! 🤗
Thanks so much, that's a good point telling myself that it will all be over soon. I remember the first two went by quite quickly but at the start it felt like forever
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
?
Does anyone else have any any more tips?
overalltea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone else have any any more tips?
You might not be able to 100% shake the nerves, and that’s fine. I was nervous to the point of nausea when I took my fourth test two weeks ago, and I passed! You can still pass while being a bit nervy, just take a breather and get some decent sleep tonight.

Let us know tomorrow how you do
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just relax tbh. You make silly mistakes when you're not confident/ are stressed
royalty1702
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
passed my theory, hope your test went well too!
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Let us know how it went.
Kogomogo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try and just relax. Slow right down coming up to roundabouts and turns, and also go slow whilst doing manouevres. You're not trying to hit a destination in a time limit, just drive safely and don't take risks. Check your mirrors and blind spots regularly, especially during manouevres, turns and roundabouts. My instructor told me to make it super obvious i was checking, the examiner should be seeing the back of your head when checking blind spots. Give cyclists plenty of room if you need to overtake, and when overtaking remember to do all your checks and make sure you have good visibility far ahead of you before you do.

I didn't pass until my fourth attempt. I think all my overthinking and worrying was holding me back, they like to see that you're confident and competent in what you're doing, not freaking out, hesitating or rushing in response to hazards. I think by the fourth time i kind of knew what to expect and the pressure to pass was less great, and maybe that just gave me the confidence i needed to just go and drive without worrying about it being am exam. I knew i could drive, i was doing well during lessons, it was just those exam nerves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads