The Student Room Group

Driving test tomorrow at 12.40. What tips can you give me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kogomogo
Try and just relax. Slow right down coming up to roundabouts and turns, and also go slow whilst doing manouevres. You're not trying to hit a destination in a time limit, just drive safely and don't take risks. Check your mirrors and blind spots regularly, especially during manouevres, turns and roundabouts. My instructor told me to make it super obvious i was checking, the examiner should be seeing the back of your head when checking blind spots. Give cyclists plenty of room if you need to overtake, and when overtaking remember to do all your checks and make sure you have good visibility far ahead of you before you do.

I didn't pass until my fourth attempt. I think all my overthinking and worrying was holding me back, they like to see that you're confident and competent in what you're doing, not freaking out, hesitating or rushing in response to hazards. I think by the fourth time i kind of knew what to expect and the pressure to pass was less great, and maybe that just gave me the confidence i needed to just go and drive without worrying about it being am exam. I knew i could drive, i was doing well during lessons, it was just those exam nerves.

Original post by Xarao
Let us know how it went.

Original post by royalty1702
passed my theory, hope your test went well too!

Original post by FRS500
Just relax tbh. You make silly mistakes when you're not confident/ are stressed

Original post by overalltea
You might not be able to 100% shake the nerves, and that’s fine. I was nervous to the point of nausea when I took my fourth test two weeks ago, and I passed! You can still pass while being a bit nervy, just take a breather and get some decent sleep tonight.

Let us know tomorrow how you do :smile:

Original post by aminajama
Yeh, with most people the nerves ruins for them. It's not because they are not preparSo, ask yourself, "why I'm I nervous?" Talk to yourself like a third person, like you are talking to a person that you love and are genuinely giving advice. Put things into perspective. Tell yourself, "this will be all over in less than an hour. Good luck! 🤗

Hi everyone. I hope I’ve tagged everyone above!

I passed! I am over the moon and more importantly I feel so relieved. I’m going to university in less than two weeks and I cannot believe I passed.

Thank you all so much for the advice above. It really helped me as I mainly had issues with nerves so all of your help above was so useful!

Third time lucky! I got 5 minors which I think is quite a few but I’m happy and I know the minors I got were things I can fix in the future.
Reply 21
Original post by hopeful-lawyer

I passed! I am over the moon and more importantly I feel so relieved. I’m going to university in less than two weeks and I cannot believe I passed.

Thank you all so much for the advice above. It really helped me as I mainly had issues with nerves so all of your help above was so useful!

Third time lucky! I got 5 minors which I think is quite a few but I’m happy and I know the minors I got were things I can fix in the future.

Congratulations :smile:

Can I just ask, automatic or manual?
Original post by Xarao
Congratulations :smile:

Can I just ask, automatic or manual?

Hi, thanks!

It was manual
Congrats!!

:dancing:

Congrats! Having a car is so freeing, so many places you can get to that you just can't by bus / train!
Original post by overalltea
Congrats!!

:dancing:

Original post by Kogomogo
Congrats! Having a car is so freeing, so many places you can get to that you just can't by bus / train!

Thank you so much to the both of you! I’m so excited for the independence from now on! I live in a really busy city so getting the bus is always such a hassle and I’m lucky to have a car that I can share now.

That's wonderful 🥳🥳🙌 I don't even know you, put I knew that you would pass 🤣🤣
Convince yourself there isn't an old geezer next to you. If you think you aren't being watched, you won't get as nervous. If you can't convince yourself he isn't there, pretend he's your dad or awesome uncle steve or something.
Original post by Cryoraptor
Convince yourself there isn't an old geezer next to you. If you think you aren't being watched, you won't get as nervous. If you can't convince yourself he isn't there, pretend he's your dad or awesome uncle steve or something.

Thank you but I have already passed:^_^:

Original post by aminajama
That's wonderful 🥳🥳🙌 I don't even know you, put I knew that you would pass 🤣🤣

Thank you so much!
Thank you but I have already passed:^_^:

Thank you so much!

Oh sorry, I was a div and didn't check the second page. Congrats:cheers:
Reply 30

Top man!! Congrats
Original post by FRS500
Top man!! Congrats

Thank you!:smile:

Original post by Cryoraptor
Oh sorry, I was a div and didn't check the second page. Congrats:cheers:

Your advice seems very helpful to future test-takers so hopefully others see it!:smile:
Thank you!
This may sound odd but if anyone has any questions about my driving test, feel free to ask:^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending