What are your tips for acing online lectures?

Watch
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
For better or for worse, Covid-19 has sped up the transition to an online world :cyber:

Most universities are now delivering online lectures, seminars and tutorials, which for lots of students is going to be a big change to what they're used to. How are you planning to navigate this new sea of digital learning? :beard:

To those of you who have already completed long-distance online degrees, do you have any tips that helped you stay motivated and focused?

If you're still in sixth form/ college/ school, do you know if your teachers have any plans to deliver some form of online teaching and if so, how do you feel about online school?

Post your thoughts and plans for this year below and lets build our very own TSR Guide On Acing Online Lectures :grin:
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 2 weeks ago
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
For better or for worse, Covid-19 has sped up the transition to an online world :cyber:

Most universities are now delivering online lectures, seminars and tutorials, which for lots of students is going to be a big change to what they're used to. How are you planning to navigate this new sea of digital learning? :beard:

To those of you who have already completed long-distance online degrees, do you have any tips that helped you stay motivated and focused?

If you're still in sixth form/ college/ school, do you know if your teachers have any plans to deliver some form of online teaching and if so, how do you feel about online school?

Post your thoughts and plans for this year below and lets build our very own TSR Guide On Acing Online Lectures :grin:
i'm doing a degree through open university and making sure you have a routine and still keep in contact with fellow students is the most helpful thing for me.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It can be very tempting to stay in and stare at a screen all day if your teaching is all online. Make sure to go on walks when you can on most days so that you stay active and your brain gets the fresh air it needs to keep you ticking along.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
- stay mute unless asked not to or your contributing. On zoom particularly its annoying when someone coughs or a cat meows and it focuses on them not the person talking
- if you have to browse TSR whilst in a lecture/seminar, don't make it obvious with eye darting
toni_bennett
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there!

I am currently in my third year doing a Criminology and Psychology degree at Arden University through distance learning! I have found the best thing to help you stay motivated is having a routine that you can stick to and always consistently having breaks!
Routine is so helpful for those that have other commitments in their life that they need to work alongside their studies and if, for example, you plan your week ahead you will be able to see where you can fit in a few hours of work every day. Working for a few short hours everyday is great to keep your attention up and can even help leaving your work and coming back to it another day; you may find getting stuck a less frequent occurrence if you just leave it til the next day!

Toni,
Arden University Student Ambassador
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
It can be very tempting to stay in and stare at a screen all day if your teaching is all online. Make sure to go on walks when you can on most days so that you stay active and your brain gets the fresh air it needs to keep you ticking along.
I'm guilty of this :innocent:

(Original post by Noodlzzz)
- stay mute unless asked not to or your contributing. On zoom particularly its annoying when someone coughs or a cat meows and it focuses on them not the person talking
- if you have to browse TSR whilst in a lecture/seminar, don't make it obvious with eye darting
Absolutely, today for a good 10 minutes of my first induction session, we had about 4 senior staff members who were to take turns addressing the year group, and they didn't realise they all had their mics on, so suffice to say they all sounded very warbled

(Original post by claireestelle)
i'm doing a degree through open university and making sure you have a routine and still keep in contact with fellow students is the most helpful thing for me.
Definitely agree about having a routine, I make sure to stick to the timetable we've been given to stay on track

(Original post by toni_bennett)
Hi there!

I am currently in my third year doing a Criminology and Psychology degree at Arden University through distance learning! I have found the best thing to help you stay motivated is having a routine that you can stick to and always consistently having breaks!
Routine is so helpful for those that have other commitments in their life that they need to work alongside their studies and if, for example, you plan your week ahead you will be able to see where you can fit in a few hours of work every day. Working for a few short hours everyday is great to keep your attention up and can even help leaving your work and coming back to it another day; you may find getting stuck a less frequent occurrence if you just leave it til the next day!

Toni,
Arden University Student Ambassador
Great advice :yep:
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)

Hi Mesopotamian.

I finished my degree this year so the last few months of it were delivered online!

In my experience I found that I was always very tempted to go on my phone throughout them, I would never have done this in face to face lectures but the temptation was far greater for me online, so I used to keep my phone outside of the room so that I could engage properly with the course content!

I also found eating right to be a massive benefit- I found it really easy to snack on anything (and everything) during my online lectures and felt that not only was this a distraction but it meant I had no routine- which in turn made it harder to study.

Both of the problems I faced were easily solvable though so please don't worry about anything based on them

Best of luck everyone and remember that your university will be there to support you throughout!

Millie
Student Rep
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I mostly watched the lectures online last year as wanted to avoid commuting on days when I did not have to go in.
Tips are
Try and do the lectures as soon as possible after their normal time. I treated then like I’d do it in class, have the slides printed out, and try and do the entire time to the break without pausing (bar where they explain a case and I am struggling to keep up) .
Then break if there is one to get tea/coffee etc and plough into second hour.
At end, go back and highlight anything you need to look up more, extra reading.
I’d probably then go into watching another lecture rather than start in the reading (if I had any o/s) but depends how the timing falls.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (55)
20.45%
No (214)
79.55%

Watched Threads