The_seeka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all
Can someone please tell me how a uni apprenticeship works? I am planning to study architecture at university and I want to do an appprenticeship as I heard they pay for your course. Also, is it as good as a normal university course and can I still get a part time job on the side to pay for my expenses? And how many days a week do you go uni

Any responses would be much appreciated
kingpin x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A great opportunity to consider! You'll study for two days and work for the rest. Your employer will assist you with your studies and you'll get paid a good amount for the job that you do. It can be stressful and challenging, especially because you are studying and working but that's the whole point of it, and your employer will help you along the way. It's worth it because the apprenticeship pays for your uni fees and you wouldn't have to pay any of it. You'll also be getting plenty of experience and presuming you get your degree, you'll most likely be guaranteed a job. Always explore your options! University isn't always the answer and there are so many doors out there to be opened. Be ambitious and don't give up when you stumble upon a obstacle - nothing is handed to you on a plate. Good luck!
Katzen
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's not 'How does an apprenticeship work?'

But rather 'How does an apprentice work?'
LiviLu100
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Apprenticeships are such amazing opportunities because the cost of your education is paid by your employer (yay no debts!), you get hands-on, on-the-job experience all whilst getting paid! I am currently doing a level 4 apprenticeship (foundation degree) in Marketing. It's been amazing. I get 7 hours a week of dedicated study time, assigned my own personal tutor and get all the resources I need through an online portal. At the end of my 18 month apprenticeship I will take and end-point assessment where I will be graded fail, pass, merit or distinction. This consists of a knowledge based exam, written report and presentation and a marked professional discussion. Once I finish I will be eligible to become a member of the Certified Institute of Marketing and have over 2 years of actual marketing experience under my belt! You would normally do an apprenticeship instead of going to uni, and you can find apprenticeships that will be the equivalent of a degree. In my opinion a good apprenticeship within the right company is better than going to university because a. you don't have to pay for the course fees and b. it gives you proper experience working for an employer within the sector of your degree. This first-hand work experience can often put you way above other graduates when it comes to applying for jobs (or even better, if you make a good impression, your apprenticeship employer may even decide to offer you a permanent position after your course!) You are unlikely to need to get a job on the side as you will be paid for the hours that you work (this includes time allowed for study). This will be at least minimum wage for your age but some employers will offer more than this (e.g. if you are 18 on minimum wage for 5 hours a week, you can expect your wage to be around £12,000 per year.) The amount of time that you are allowed to study, and where you study, will be dependent on your course. Many apprenticeship courses are remote studying with an assigned tutor to help you, but you may find one that also has the opportunity to take physical classes with other apprentices. All in all i'd say go for it! There really isn't anything like being able to get real experience in the job you want to study in!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (85)
21.57%
No (309)
78.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed