Have a practical driving test soon wahooo, but worried i'm not ready!

Watch
Afuru
Badges: 12
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I managed to book a driving practical 2 weeks ago, it is officially on the 14th of October around 12pm, however i'm still worried I will not be prepared for it as I am still struggling in specific areas i.e roundabouts, manoeuvres (parking in bay and parallel parking), reading road signs, controlling my speed and changing into the appropriate gear. My instructor assured me that I would have enough time to brush up on these, as I have voiced my concerns and she thinks I will pass.

We have done roundabouts a fair few times now but still struggling with how different and difficult some are, whereas some i feel i'm better with now. How can I make sure I do my best before the test, sadly noone in my family has a manual car so i can not practice in my spare time.
Arkansas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Afuru)
I managed to book a driving practical 2 weeks ago, it is officially on the 14th of October around 12pm, however i'm still worried I will not be prepared for it as I am still struggling in specific areas i.e roundabouts, manoeuvres (parking in bay and parallel parking), reading road signs, controlling my speed and changing into the appropriate gear. My instructor assured me that I would have enough time to brush up on these, as I have voiced my concerns and she thinks I will pass.

We have done roundabouts a fair few times now but still struggling with how different and difficult some are, whereas some i feel i'm better with now. How can I make sure I do my best before the test, sadly noone in my family has a manual car so i can not practice in my spare time.
Nobody can answer this for you.

The test will assess how good you are - if you're not ready, you'll definitely know it (when you're failed) and be ready when you re-take it. I passed second time and learnt from my first time faults (not only for the test, but for life - i'l never forget them).
hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Afuru)

I passed my driving test today and so hopefully I can offer some words of advice.
If you are worried, try to reschedule for a later date. You have over a month, but if you really feel unprepared then don't rush it. If you're still struggling with reading road signs and changing into the appropriate gear you may need to go over the basics before learning/practising more complicated driving routes. I hope I am not coming across rude in saying this. Struggling with roundabouts and maoeuvres is normal in my opinion, it is always a pain but you shouldn't be stressed or anything by them.
Keep practising. Have a couple lessons and go over the basics and ask your instructor to nit-pick your driving and tell you what minors/majors you got. Then decide if you want to postpone the test.

Are these big spiral roundabouts or one lane/mini-roundabouts? What are you struggling with when it comes to manoeuvres?
It seems to me you're probably just nervous. Your instructor likely wouldn't let you do the test if she thought you could fail. You're probably second-guessing yourself due to nerves.
Afuru
Badges: 12
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by hopeful-lawyer)
I passed my driving test today and so hopefully I can offer some words of advice.
If you are worried, try to reschedule for a later date. You have over a month, but if you really feel unprepared then don't rush it. If you're still struggling with reading road signs and changing into the appropriate gear you may need to go over the basics before learning/practising more complicated driving routes. I hope I am not coming across rude in saying this. Struggling with roundabouts and maoeuvres is normal in my opinion, it is always a pain but you shouldn't be stressed or anything by them.
Keep practising. Have a couple lessons and go over the basics and ask your instructor to nit-pick your driving and tell you what minors/majors you got. Then decide if you want to postpone the test.

Are these big spiral roundabouts or one lane/mini-roundabouts? What are you struggling with when it comes to manoeuvres?
It seems to me you're probably just nervous. Your instructor likely wouldn't let you do the test if she thought you could fail. You're probably second-guessing yourself due to nerves.
No you're not being rude at all, I understand i need to go over a few of the basics. It's the big roundabouts that i'm still getting my head around, tbh i feel more confident with mini roundabouts and some roundabouts, it's just specific ones. I haven't done manoeuvres as much so that's why i'm not confident, although I parked in a bay quite well the other day without much direction. We're going to do a few mocks to see how I am and what to expect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (46)
23.96%
Less motivated (146)
76.04%

Watched Threads