How long did it take to write your personal statement? HELP

Watch
Parziva1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi TSR members,

I am starting to get worried that I will miss the deadline for an Oxbridge application (15 Oct) to submit my personal statement and I wanted to know how long it took you to have your PS ready?

Any reassurance would be very much appreciated.

PS: I am writing a personal statement for Computer Science
Last edited by Parziva1; 4 months ago
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
About 2 hours once I actually started writing it, but then I did have someone overseeing my personal statement in the room with me while I was writing it
Stefan P Bargan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
15 of October? You got plenty of time then, I'm not sure why you're worrying. It will probably be done in a week.

So first things first for a Personal Statement is to write all of your achievements, passions, work experience but keep it short. Add details later on.
Parziva1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Stefan P Bargan)
15 of October? You got plenty of time then, I'm not sure why you're worrying. It will probably be done in a week.

So first things first for a Personal Statement is to write all of your achievements, passions, work experience but keep it short. Add details later on.
I will definitely do that.

Thanks for the tips
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
2 nights
15Characters...
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't think it takes more than a few hours of actual writing. The real issues I have writing stuff like personal statements are (a) getting started in the first place and (b) it helps to leave a bit of time between writing a draft and then reviewing it with fresh eyes.
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
2 nights for my undergrad one and around 3 for my postgrad
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
i wrote my personal statement the night before the deadline and got into every uni i applied for. not recommending as a good idea or like i planned it (please don’t be me ) but just so you know you’re fine

sometimes being under the pump isn’t the worst thing in the world and sometimes having too much time to agonise and overthink will kill your writing. in over editing you start to lose the real you, your real personality and authenticity for why you want to study the course.

saw some good tips for writing your ps from Bangor University the other day. have a look at the video on this link here

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6676022
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You have plenty of time
I wrote my first draft around about now and it probably took a couple of hours once I put my head down
Then I probably had my final draft done about 2-3 weeks later so well in time for the deadline
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (9)
17.31%
No one else does (21)
40.38%
I'm embarrassed about my background (6)
11.54%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (14)
26.92%
We don't use a video platform (1)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.92%

Watched Threads