SS123456
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm beginning to get really nervous, anyone have any advice.? All i hear is about people being absolutely overwhelmed.
Last edited by SS123456; 2 weeks ago
stephanieg1992
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No advice, just a fellow future PGCE student who is also incredibly nervous!!

I'm just trying to calm myself by thinking that it's going to be a little while until we're actually on placement and my uni is going to prepare me thoroughly for it. Nerves are inevitable, though. If you weren't nervous, I'd think you weren't aware of how stressful the course can be haha.
Olives&chocolate
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was nervous and I think most of my course were! It’s a big thing to do and stressful so nerves are inevitable.

As the beginning it’s all so new so you will be anxious and have nerves that is normal. The more teaching and time you have in school the more you will relax and it will feel more normal. Yes I had periods when I again felt worried as my teaching time increased or my feedback wasn’t great but talking to others on my course helped me realise others felt that way. I really enjoyed the children I was with and talking with staff at the schools I was at made me realise everyone feels worried at first and that it gets better with time and practice.

New skills take time and you will get through it!
stephanieg1992
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Olives&chocolate)
I was nervous and I think most of my course were! It’s a big thing to do and stressful so nerves are inevitable.

As the beginning it’s all so new so you will be anxious and have nerves that is normal. The more teaching and time you have in school the more you will relax and it will feel more normal. Yes I had periods when I again felt worried as my teaching time increased or my feedback wasn’t great but talking to others on my course helped me realise others felt that way. I really enjoyed the children I was with and talking with staff at the schools I was at made me realise everyone feels worried at first and that it gets better with time and practice.

New skills take time and you will get through it!
What would you say is the most important thing to do to keep on top of workload?
bluebeetle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SS123456)
I'm beginning to get really nervous, anyone have any advice.? All i hear is about people being absolutely overwhelmed.
Very normal to be nervous!

My advice is to just take it one day at a time. Don't try to overprepare for things that you know very little about yet, just make sure you're ready for the next day and then once you've been given more information about essays / things to specifically prepare, you can start to work on those too.
fredminxis75
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So many people on my PGCE course were feeling downtrodden in the first few months, thought about quitting and that they were not going to be good teachers because they were being graded as 'Good' in their lesson observations rather than 'Outstanding', most expected to be given outstanding grades in the first few weeks. So advice is to see the PGCE as a learning curve, getting better over time, do not compare yourself with others it is only a recipe for disaster. Some providers do not use the Ofsted criteria which is better as PGCE students focus less on their grading and more on their true development.

I found the work rather unbearable even through i was pretty organised, i just over think things, spent so much time developing powerpoints and resources, nick as much as you can from colleagues, department and websites. Some departments are more helpful than others. There was many times when I had just 1 hour sleep, i was waking up at 6 in the morning, leaving school at 7pm and working until 4-5am in the morning, so 23 hour days!
songforclay90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm due to start next week and I must admit, I too am feeling nervous now, after spending all summer being excited about this new career path and getting out of a job I hated.

I keep telling myself that a lot of people will be feeling the same.
AccountHolder
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How much work experience did you guys need to get onto a PGCE course? I’m currently undergrad wanting to teach secondary bio.
stephanieg1992
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by songforclay90)
I'm due to start next week and I must admit, I too am feeling nervous now, after spending all summer being excited about this new career path and getting out of a job I hated.

I keep telling myself that a lot of people will be feeling the same.
Well, there's definitely at least one other person feeling exactly the same way as you because I am... nervous isn't even the word, lol. I've been SO excited too and now I'm just dreading starting because it feels real now :/

(Original post by AccountHolder)
How much work experience did you guys need to get onto a PGCE course? I’m currently undergrad wanting to teach secondary bio.
I've been a teaching assistant on and off for 3 years, but you don't need anywhere near that much experience. Unis normally recommend 2 weeks in the stage you want to teach in, but with Covid, it will be incredibly difficult to get into schools as a volunteer. I would speak to the unis you're thinking of applying to and see what they suggest you do instead if you can't get into the classroom before you apply.
Olives&chocolate
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by stephanieg1992)
What would you say is the most important thing to do to keep on top of workload?
I must admit I did things quite last minute so probably not the approach to go for . I feel the corona situation will mean less outside engagements on weekends and evenings so this will give people more time to get things sorted.

For me my lessons plans and resources were most important so I prioritised those and made sure they were done and on the school system as other teachers in the year group needed them too. I sometimes missed the reading for weekly training as I was exhausted at times and knew I wouldn’t take it in so sleeping was a priority!

I had a diary that had a page for the whole month the for the week which was great for putting in assignment and planning deadlines then I could see ahead what needed to be done and plan accordingly. Also I had a mini white board and out the days of the week and allocated tasks for the evenings and weekends which helped break it down. Though some weeks not much was done as I was tired from being in school. Remember to take a break/time out especially if you are getting overwhelmed as it’s better to be out of the house or meeting with friends then just staring at your screen for hours not writing anything!

Also when it comes to planning try and make a start ASAP as then you have time to ask for help if you are stuck or need advice. I often left it till late so no time to ask!! Also ask for help when you needed it. I remember being so stressed early on with planning and I should have asked for guidance but didn’t.

Hope that made sense and that all goes well!
Get into Teaching
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
it is perfectly understandable to be nervous- it is quite an intense year...
My top tips are:
- Take one day at a time. You are learning to teach- it takes time. Don't expect to be outstanding - it takes a while to become a fully fledged teacher. What is important is to improve...
- Be organised and prioritize.
- If things go wrong, it can be pretty heart breaking if you have spent lots of time preparing a lesson but it will happen. It happens too to very experienced teachers- the important thing is to be able to reflect on what went wrong and learn from it. Get advice from your mentor/ teachers in the department. You always need to show that you have taken the advice on board- resilience and self-reflection are good qualities to have in teaching.
- Borrow and steal resources- do not re invent the wheel- teachers are generous, there are lots of resource sharing websites and explore the resources available to you in schools.
- Talk to your mentor- this is really important- ask questions when unsure/ talk about how you feel. They are there to support you.
- Make time for yourself- this is really important- have at least your Friday night and your Saturday to yourself- it is important for your mental health.
-Buddy up with other people on the course- it is always good to share your success/resources and bad days!
Twenty years down the lines my PGCE friends have become some of my best friends!
Good luck!

Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (63)
21.58%
No (229)
78.42%

Watched Threads