Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m off to uni in a couple weeks and have a decent amount of savings from working. I was wondering how easy / hard it will be to keep those savings rather than spend them?
I’m sure people have gone through this before so any advice would be appreciated
I’m not planning to work whilst at uni but when I come back home for Christmas etc I plan to work quite a lot.
Hopefully this means I can come out of uni with some type of savings? Am I being far too optimistic? 😂
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m off to uni in a couple weeks and have a decent amount of savings from working. I was wondering how easy / hard it will be to keep those savings rather than spend them?
I’m sure people have gone through this before so any advice would be appreciated
I’m not planning to work whilst at uni but when I come back home for Christmas etc I plan to work quite a lot.
Hopefully this means I can come out of uni with some type of savings? Am I being far too optimistic? 😂
It depends quite a lot on whether your maintenance loan covers all your living costs, whether your parents are helping etc.

Obviously you'll also need good willpower to stop yourself splurging as well.
Fresher18
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Like others have said it really depends on how much your student loan covers and how much other income you have, I went into uni with savings but those were quickly gone by my second year as my loan didn't fully cover living costs but I did get a job end of first year which helped and whilst I dont have much savings Ive been able to put some aside for certain things like deposits for uni housing or emergency funds for those times where it gets tough or where student finance mess up (which happened twice for me last year meaning I had to work like 30+ hrs per week alongside my studies to make rent & live for around 2-3 months then covid came along...)

Im lucky that I can normally pick up lots of hours during the freshers fortnight and then only work 10-15 hrs per week after that to live comfortably but my course isn't very demanding nor has a lot of contact hours. I know people who only worked when they went back over summer/xmas and survived fine but many of them got substantial financial assistance from bank of mum and dad or lived deep into their overdrafts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (3)
11.11%
No (24)
88.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise