shumaira
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
For the characteristics of homologous series 'Consecutive members of the series differ from each other by -CH2- group and their molecular weight differs by 14 units'- does this only applied to alkanes? Thank you
headieone
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by shumaira)
For the characteristics of homologous series 'Consecutive members of the series differ from each other by -CH2- group and their molecular weight differs by 14 units'- does this only applied to alkanes? Thank you
The OCR definition we learnt was "a series of molecules with the same functional group where each member differs by -CH2". I think you can ignore the 14 units thing. And no, a homologous series can also be with alkenes, anything that fits the definition (in alkenes the C=C is the functional group). As long as all the members have the same functional group and increase/decrease by a -CH2 then it's a homologous series.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by shumaira)
No.

Methanol is different from ethanol by the inclusion of an CH2 group and then propan-1-ol, butan-1-ol etc.
Methanal, ethanal, propanal...
Propanone, butanone...
Methanoic acid...
etc. etc.
shumaira
Rep:
?
(Original post by headieone)
The OCR definition we learnt was "a series of molecules with the same functional group where each member differs by -CH2". I think you can ignore the 14 units thing. And no, a homologous series can also be with alkenes, anything that fits the definition (in alkenes the C=C is the functional group). As long as all the members have the same functional group and increase/decrease by a -CH2 then it's a homologous series.
Thank you for clearing that up
shumaira
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
No.

Methanol is different from ethanol by the inclusion of an CH2 group and then propan-1-ol, butan-1-ol etc.
Methanal, ethanal, propanal...
Propanone, butanone...
Methanoic acid...
etc. etc.
thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads