The Student Room Group

Official Mature Students 2021 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by excited21
I'm nearly 42 and have applied for a healthcare course at 5 unis. I have had interview offers from 3 and another one has asked for my previous degree certs. Still one uni, I have heard nothing from. I think they had lots of applications around the deadline and so are working through them. They have until 20th May to make you an offer or reject your application. Feels like a long wait...

Yeah I was thinking May is a bit if a long wait tbh.
I have received an invite for an interview with Swansea today. Less than 2 weeks after I sent my application. Super exciting.
Has anyone else not heard from any Uni yet?
Original post by aashcroft

When did you apply?
Original post by Philip-flop
When did you apply?

1st of December
1st of December

I wouldn't worry too much tbh. I've heard that Unis have until May to respond. Are you applying for a course that's high in demand?
Original post by AEEC11
Hi @MinnieW09 im applying for Diagnostic Radiography too with 2 interviews so far coming up soon! Hope yours went well? What universitys are you applying to?

I had interview offers from sheffield hallam derby and de montfort 😁😁
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi all, I am an extra mature student! I am 57 and taking Chinese Studies at the University of Hull, originally I am from London so I did the whole moving to another city thing when I came here.

If any one has any worries or questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Good luck everyone

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep

Hi Chris
How did you find uni in your fifties? Was this your first degree? I’m starting an Access course in September in health sciences with a view to study dietetics in ‘22. I’ll be 52 when I start the course, 55 at graduation!
Did you rent a flat in Hull or buy? I am considering staying local in Winchester or having a bigger adventure and moving to Chester or Plymouth. Did you go alone or with a partner? Hope you don’t mind me asking you personal questions, don’t have to answer here!
I'm nearly 42 and have applied for a healthcare course at 5 unis. I have had interview offers from 3 and another one has asked for my previous degree certs. Still one uni, I have heard nothing from. I think they had lots of applications around the deadline and so are working through them. They have until 20th May to make you an offer or reject your application. Feels like a long wait...

What course have you applied for? Hope your interviews go well
Original post by nicknack50
Hi Chris
How did you find uni in your fifties? Was this your first degree? I’m starting an Access course in September in health sciences with a view to study dietetics in ‘22. I’ll be 52 when I start the course, 55 at graduation!
Did you rent a flat in Hull or buy? I am considering staying local in Winchester or having a bigger adventure and moving to Chester or Plymouth. Did you go alone or with a partner? Hope you don’t mind me asking you personal questions, don’t have to answer here!

Hi, I’m half way through my access to science course and I’ve applied to study nutrition this September. I’m 45 currently so will be 48 by the time I graduate. It’s scary, but lovely to hear about other extra mature students (that made me think of cheese 😂)
I’ve had offers for Westminster and London met and I’m waiting on the more competitive unis I’ve applied to which are kings and Ucl. I need to stay local and will have to get the train into London.
Good luck with your access course, it’s hard work but really enjoyable

I’m the same, I had 2 offers really early on, but waiting on the other 2 to respond and it’s so hard waiting!
The 2 I’m waiting on are really competitive and 1 has emailed to say they have a larger than usual amount of applications so...
I’m in my forties too. What made you decide to do an access course and study? For me, I’ve been in a boring dead end job for years, but have a real passion for nutrition and just decided if I’m going to change careers, I’d better hurry up!
Hi Chris

Hi nicknack50

There is no problem with your questions! In my first two years I stayed in Student Houses next to the campus, at that time they belonged to the University and were mainly used by post graduate students (now they have been taken over by an outside company as a partnership with the Uni). My third year has been something of a mess as I was in China to begin with in 2019-20, then Covid happened, so I thought I would take a chance and repeat my third year in the hope of going back. However, it was not to be, so now I am doing online classes from my Chinese university. To get back to your questions, I am renting off campus now in a one bedroom place, as I decided to play safe; being of a certain age and a bit overweight, I didn't really want to rent with people who might be not staying in on a regular basis! I am divorced and have a son who is 22 now so thankfully I didn't have to juggle with childcare.

Obviously University is very different to my working life, but I think if you have worked you can probably find more motivation to do the independent study that's required. Hull as a university has a higher proportion of mature students as far as I can tell, particularly in the Health and Education fields it seems. However most of them are local students with families etc so making new friends is not so easy. I joined several societies to ease my social life and in normal times these were good fun.

I hope that helps, if you have anymore questions just let me know.

All the best for the future,

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
Hi Chris

Hi @nicknack50 sounds so exciting! Are you hoping to do as BSc in Dietetics or an MSc? I'm hoping to study dietetics too in the future but don't have the qualifications yet to apply! Trying to work out whether to do a 2 year post grad dietetics course (would have to study more before hand as my degree is in psychology so not 'biochemistry-y' enough) or to do the BSc route for 3-4 years! Good luck with your Access course in september! Hazel x
I currently study at UEL as a mature student, (university of east london) and it is by far an awful university. The support staff are incompotent. The admin staff-even worse. I am so disappointed by the department I study in, who have treated students with a complete disregard. This is not discussed enough. The teaching is sub-standard, stretching to uninformative. I cannot wait to get out of here. I urge everyone not to study here. Wellbeing and mental health are not valued or even remotely considered. I have worked and studied at better institutes that reply to student emails, exert humanity and give you a better education. I am currently undergoing a complaint. My experience is shared amongst many of my cohort. Please when choosing a university, look at the student support and satisfaction percentage and choose accordingly. I only wish I had.
Reply 194
Original post by MinnieW09
I had interview offers from sheffield hallam derby and de montfort 😁😁

Congrats! I have an interview with Sheffield do you have any tips or advise please I’m also a mature student (22) 😀
Reply 195
Hi! I’m 28 and got my offer today from University of Derby for Nursing Associate :smile:
Original post by Blimb
Hi! I’m 28 and got my offer today from University of Derby for Nursing Associate :smile:

This is brilliant! Well done :smile:
I’ve applied too but haven’t heard from them yet :frown:
Did you have an interview?

I haven’t yet...
Reply 198
Original post by BeeBop223
This is brilliant! Well done :smile:
I’ve applied too but haven’t heard from them yet :frown:
Did you have an interview?

I had my interview last Wednesday, have you had yours yet?
Original post by Blimb
I had my interview last Wednesday, have you had yours yet?

No- I haven’t heard about an interview yet... so I’m getting worried 🙈
When did you originally apply?

Quick Reply

Latest