Would like thoughts and advice on post-undergrad course

Watch
ConcernedGrad21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello everyone. As the title of this thread suggests I have been feeling a little unsure about my future academic/career path, partly owing to disruption caused by COVID-19. Below I will outline a bit about my academic and career history, my plan and my concerns. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions any of you have in regards to what I lay out below.

I completed my undergraduate degree this year at LSE. I studies BSc International Relations & History, achieving a 2:1. I didn't (and still don't quite) feel like going straight into a Master's because I wanted a bit of a break from studying. My post-graduation plan was to work for a year or so on the JET Programme which I am shortlisted for (in short, it's doing translation, English teaching and cultural exchange in Japan) before coming back to the UK and going into Master's.

Unfortunately, COVID-19 has caused an issue where the JET Programme has been delayed, potentially until some point next year. I am still interested in doing it, though if it really becomes an obstacle I am not opposed to pulling out of it.

Since that opportunity has now been postponed, I have been trying to find work that near me or that I can do remotely. Unfortunately, all but one of my applications so far has not even resulted in an interview. I have an interview for McDonald's tomorrow, which is the closest I have come since graduation to attaining employment. I have tried applying to a number of internships that interest me (research, consulting, translation) in the hopes of getting experience but those have also been unsuccessful.

TL;DR my questions are:

1. Do you think it is alright for me to defer going into Master's for a year or two (or possibly three) given the COVID-19 delay to my original plan, even if I only manage to find work in something simple like McDonald's in the meantime? (though not for lack of trying!)

2. I am not sure what to do at Master's level. I don't have any maths or science A-Levels. What could I go into with my undergrad degree? Journalism, policy, risk and things in the IR field (security, etc) all sound interesting to me but I don't know what to go for and I don't want to waste any more time studying for something with low career prospects.

Sorry if this is overly long, but I appreciate any thoughts and advice you give.
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ConcernedGrad21)
Hello everyone. As the title of this thread suggests I have been feeling a little unsure about my future academic/career path, partly owing to disruption caused by COVID-19. Below I will outline a bit about my academic and career history, my plan and my concerns. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions any of you have in regards to what I lay out below.

I completed my undergraduate degree this year at LSE. I studies BSc International Relations & History, achieving a 2:1. I didn't (and still don't quite) feel like going straight into a Master's because I wanted a bit of a break from studying. My post-graduation plan was to work for a year or so on the JET Programme which I am shortlisted for (in short, it's doing translation, English teaching and cultural exchange in Japan) before coming back to the UK and going into Master's.

Unfortunately, COVID-19 has caused an issue where the JET Programme has been delayed, potentially until some point next year. I am still interested in doing it, though if it really becomes an obstacle I am not opposed to pulling out of it.

Since that opportunity has now been postponed, I have been trying to find work that near me or that I can do remotely. Unfortunately, all but one of my applications so far has not even resulted in an interview. I have an interview for McDonald's tomorrow, which is the closest I have come since graduation to attaining employment. I have tried applying to a number of internships that interest me (research, consulting, translation) in the hopes of getting experience but those have also been unsuccessful.

TL;DR my questions are:

1. Do you think it is alright for me to defer going into Master's for a year or two (or possibly three) given the COVID-19 delay to my original plan, even if I only manage to find work in something simple like McDonald's in the meantime? (though not for lack of trying!)

2. I am not sure what to do at Master's level. I don't have any maths or science A-Levels. What could I go into with my undergrad degree? Journalism, policy, risk and things in the IR field (security, etc) all sound interesting to me but I don't know what to go for and I don't want to waste any more time studying for something with low career prospects.

Sorry if this is overly long, but I appreciate any thoughts and advice you give.
If you don't know what you want to study, then why do you want to do a masters?
You can do a masters at any time though, so don't worry about that, many people do something else between undergrad and post grad courses. Why don't you try out a few different things to get an idea of what you would like to do in the future?
Even with Covid, you can do online course like on future learn, or TEFL courses, or get networking at virtual conferences in areas that may interest you.
ConcernedGrad21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by L-K)
If you don't know what you want to study, then why do you want to do a masters?
You can do a masters at any time though, so don't worry about that, many people do something else between undergrad and post grad courses. Why don't you try out a few different things to get an idea of what you would like to do in the future?
Even with Covid, you can do online course like on future learn, or TEFL courses, or get networking at virtual conferences in areas that may interest you.
Thanks for the reply. It's mainly that I feel like without a Master's my chances of getting a reasonable job with actual prospects are low since I don't have science or maths A levels and my degree is not in something like law or economics where there's a clearer level of demand.
I must admit that I haven't done much research on online courses or virtual conferences. I will admit that I am not interested in doing a TEFL course though.
Last edited by ConcernedGrad21; 1 week ago
L-K
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ConcernedGrad21)
Thanks for the reply. It's mainly that I feel like without a Master's my chances of getting a reasonable job with actual prospects are low since I don't have science or maths A levels and it's not in something like law or economics where there's a clearer level of demand.
I must admit that I haven't done much research on online courses or virtual conferences. I will admit that I am not interested in doing a TEFL course though.
Oh, sorry, I just presumed you would be doing a TEFL course if you are teaching English abroad!
Masters courses certainly can increase employability, but can also be a huge waste of money and time if you don't decide carefully.
Good luck, I hope I've given you a few ideas at least.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (58)
13.71%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (55)
13%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (161)
38.06%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (45)
10.64%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (82)
19.39%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
5.2%

Watched Threads