The Student Room Group

EPQ title for 2D platformer or visual novel

If I was to make a 2D platformer or visual novel, most likely using unity, what would be a good title idea.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
But like, you're making this novel or game, what's the EPQ going to be about? Making it?
Reply 3
Original post by 2_versions
But like, you're making this novel or game, what's the EPQ going to be about? Making it?

My EPQ is going to be about making the game so I will also have an artefact.
Original post by AFmaths
My EPQ is going to be about making the game so I will also have an artefact.

Has your EPQ coordinator / leader approved this idea? I was told (for artefact EPQ's ) that essays are done to compliment the artefact, and the artefact is made to highlight an issue / start discussion for the essay.
What is the game going to be about? I suggest you give it a deeper meaning because if it's just "I made this, and this is an essay about making it" then I don't think it's going to grade very well unfortunately. Titles are also made last usually, and the work is done based on a general or loose idea. The title is the part which grips the marker and shows presentation skill (how you present the whole project) so it's best to focus on it after you actually have the project
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Has your EPQ coordinator / leader approved this idea? I was told (for artefact EPQ's ) that essays are done to compliment the artefact, and the artefact is made to highlight an issue / start discussion for the essay.
What is the game going to be about? I suggest you give it a deeper meaning because if it's just "I made this, and this is an essay about making it" then I don't think it's going to grade very well unfortunately. Titles are also made last usually, and the work is done based on a general or loose idea. The title is the part which grips the marker and shows presentation skill (how you present the whole project) so it's best to focus on it after you actually have the project

Of course I will have an essay to go with it however as i'm doing the artefact the essay will be halfed. I posted this discussion because I'm not to sure on what the title or meaning of my EPQ should be about, I just know I want to create a simple game. However I did think that making a 2D platformer designed around my local area could be a good idea as it contributes to the idea that video games are a form of escapism and help you get away from reality.
Original post by AFmaths
Of course I will have an essay to go with it however as i'm doing the artefact the essay will be halfed. I posted this discussion because I'm not to sure on what the title or meaning of my EPQ should be about, I just know I want to create a simple game. However I did think that making a 2D platformer designed around my local area could be a good idea as it contributes to the idea that video games are a form of escapism and help you get away from reality.

Right so if you're topic is escapism what will the game be about? I know I'm asking a lot of questions about what might seem irrelevant things but in an EPQ you do the title last in most cases, and therefore want to tailor it around the whole project. So if your game is Mario for example, it's going to take a lot of primary research conducting tests on how long people decide to play your game to link the artefact to the escapism. I would make the title when you've finished everything else.
Reply 7
Right so if you're topic is escapism what will the game be about? I know I'm asking a lot of questions about what might seem irrelevant things but in an EPQ you do the title last in most cases, and therefore want to tailor it around the whole project. So if your game is Mario for example, it's going to take a lot of primary research conducting tests on how long people decide to play your game to link the artefact to the escapism. I would make the title when you've finished everything else.

I think thats I good idea as well but our teacher wanted us to have the title before we started or near the start of our project.
Original post by AFmaths
I think thats I good idea as well but our teacher wanted us to have the title before we started or near the start of our project.

Thats odd, it's almost universal that people do it last... is your teacher experienced in EPQ's? I really wouldn't recommend doing a title before you have the body of work.
Reply 9
Thats odd, it's almost universal that people do it last... is your teacher experienced in EPQ's? I really wouldn't recommend doing a title before you have the body of work.

Our teacher has been doing the EPQ for a few years now. I think I'm just going to give her a vague title for now and then specify it more after I complete the main body of work.

Quick Reply

Latest