Hana01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi I have been invited to a interview in a few days and been told I need to do a presentation on why u want to join the civil service as a policy advisor and don’t know where to begin any ideas
meddad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hana01)
Hi I have been invited to a interview in a few days and been told I need to do a presentation on why u want to join the civil service as a policy advisor and don’t know where to begin any ideas
Would need some clues first.

Is it a generic policy advisor role or a policy advisor in a particular part of the civil service ?

And what attracted you to the job in the first place ?
Hana01
Rep:
?
It’s a generic policy advisor , I have always wanted to know more in regards to policy making and how they impact on individuals and I suppose that’s why I applied
meddad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s a generic policy advisor , I have always wanted to know more in regards to policy making and how they impact on individuals and I suppose that’s why I applied
There are at least two potential threads you can follow. Firstly why you want to join the civil service and secondly why you want to be a policy advisor.

The first may be to with the career structure, opportunities for progression, providing a public service which impacts a variety of people in different ways, comparatively good job security, possibly the pension scheme, locations nationwide,

The second may be more to do with how the specific job role matches with your aspirations/interests and with your skills. Look at the competences that they're seeking in the job description and match them to your own skills. For example if they're looking for someone who's organised or needs to do independent research, then give them examples of how you've demonstrated that and why it interests you.

Sorry, that's just off the top of head. That's where I would start anyway.

I guess it also depends how long the presentation is
Last edited by meddad; 2 weeks ago
Hana01
Rep:
?
(Original post by meddad)
There are at least two potential threads you can follow. Firstly why you want to join the civil service and secondly why you want to be a policy advisor.

The first may be to with the career structure, opportunities for progression, providing a public service which impacts a variety of people in different ways, comparatively good job security, possibly the pension scheme, locations nationwide,

The second may be more to do with how the specific job role matches with your aspirations/interests and with your skills. Look at the competences that they're seeking in the job description and match them to your own skills. For example if they're looking for someone who's organised or needs to do independent research, then give them examples of how you've demonstrated that and why it interests you.

Sorry, that's just off the top of head. That's where I would start anyway.

I guess it also depends how long the presentation is
Great thanks for your help
wonderwheels
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is already a thread with a lot of us who have applied via this campaign if you want to follow the discussion

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...1#post90948944
Hana01
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi thank you , yes I am now following it that’s been very useful

(Original post by wonderwheels)
There is already a thread with a lot of us who have applied via this campaign if you want to follow the discussion

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...1#post90948944
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads