JessieC96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi Guys!

I'm currently looking to do a PGCE year for 2021, however all of my current school expereince and youth clubs are about 7 years out of date! With Covid is anyone else struggling to get expereince in schools? I have tried get into teaching and keep checking the website but the nearest school to me is 60 miles away! Does anyone know if some schools are taking volunteers or other ways to get expereince in this pandemic time?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Schools are being specifically told to minimise the number of adults on site, or the number of adults in a room.

I understand you want to get experience, but your desire to get experience isn't more important than keeping staff/students safe in school. It may be possible to get experience later in the year, but otherwise, I do think unis will have to be flexible around requiring recent school experience this year.

It may be possible to get some experience volunteering with the age group you want to teach outside of a school setting which will still look good on your application.
Alkerr82
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have this similar problem! I phoned my university of choice today to speak to the programme director. I had been under the impression that my experience working as an education officer in a local museum might be suitable. Especially as I have worked closely with local schools developing education programmes to enrich the curriculum and provide lesson plans. I have been told that 12 years of experience isn't and that unless I have classroom experience under the supervision of a teacher then it won't be considered. They did say that a conditional offer may be given provided that I complete the teaching placement before the course begins. I should indicate pending experience on my application in this case. I have spoken to some local schools but they have no intention of allowing placement ( I completely understand !!). its just a case of wait and see what happens!The irony of this is that they have been sending trainee teacher to me nearly every year for 10 years in my previous jobs to teach them as part of a placement .... but i don't have enough experience to apply
JessieC96
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Schools are being specifically told to minimise the number of adults on site, or the number of adults in a room.

I understand you want to get experience, but your desire to get experience isn't more important than keeping staff/students safe in school. It may be possible to get experience later in the year, but otherwise, I do think unis will have to be flexible around requiring recent school experience this year.

It may be possible to get some experience volunteering with the age group you want to teach outside of a school setting which will still look good on your application.
Yeah I completely understand the Covid situation and obviously it is priority to keep every safe! Yeah might just be a case of waiting or applying next year instead.
JessieC96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alkerr82)
I have this similar problem! I phoned my university of choice today to speak to the programme director. I had been under the impression that my experience working as an education officer in a local museum might be suitable. Especially as I have worked closely with local schools developing education programmes to enrich the curriculum and provide lesson plans. I have been told that 12 years of experience isn't and that unless I have classroom experience under the supervision of a teacher then it won't be considered. They did say that a conditional offer may be given provided that I complete the teaching placement before the course begins. I should indicate pending experience on my application in this case. I have spoken to some local schools but they have no intention of allowing placement ( I completely understand !!). its just a case of wait and see what happens!The irony of this is that they have been sending trainee teacher to me nearly every year for 10 years in my previous jobs to teach them as part of a placement .... but i don't have enough experience to apply
That's annoying I would have thought a job like that with experience of working with children would have been a good thing you could use alongside doing some school expereince too!
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JessieC96)
Hi Guys!

I'm currently looking to do a PGCE year for 2021, however all of my current school expereince and youth clubs are about 7 years out of date! With Covid is anyone else struggling to get expereince in schools? I have tried get into teaching and keep checking the website but the nearest school to me is 60 miles away! Does anyone know if some schools are taking volunteers or other ways to get expereince in this pandemic time?
Due to current circumstances, providers will be much more flexible and understanding when it comes to school experience, as you are 1 of a number of people who can't get any at the moment due to Covid-19 and restrictions (rightly so) in place. Try not to worry, as i say, providers will be more lenient and flexible with this and try to apply further into the yer when schools are more settled into the new routines.

hope this helps
Dan
watbrif1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Same problem here - I have teaching experience, but not with the right age group, so I asked around in my area (10+ schools) and was rejected everywhere. I was told by two separate universities that they are aware of the issue and that I should get other experience involving the proper age group (also easier said than done, especially given the circumstances). One uni also said that it depends on the cohort of applicants whether or not they can take people without the right kind of experience into consideration (which would mean that you can't do anything at this point to actually improve your application...).

Edit: A fair application process would probably disregard the experience criterion (what if the applicant is in a covid risk group? Then you can't just run around "getting experience with children" right now...). I suspect that they count on having enough applicants with experience from pre-covid times, which would put everyone who decided to take up this career path post-March at a disadvantage. But then, again, I suspect they don't care.
Last edited by watbrif1; 2 weeks ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can verify what Dan said above ^

I'm starting my PGCE at the moment, and a lot of the emails and things we've been sent has read along the lines of "We understand that some of you have been unable to get experience on account of Covid-19" and then suggests alternative ways to complete tasks that ask us to reflect on our experience in schools.

PGCE providers are very alive to the fact that many people cannot get experience - as they're also struggling to secure placements for trainees this year. Writing something along the lines of "I've been unable to source school experience opportunities thus far due to covid-19, but hope to do so if the public health status of the pandemic improves later in the academic year." should be fine. Don't copy what I said though, as it'll be flagged for plagiarism.
Mr M
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think it is going to be extremely difficult to get school experience right now as we are not supposed to have any non-essential visitors on site. Training providers will be flexible about this as they understand the situation.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JessieC96)
Yeah I completely understand the Covid situation and obviously it is priority to keep every safe! Yeah might just be a case of waiting or applying next year instead.
I think it's worth applying this year, as everyone will be in the same boat, and you don't have much to lose!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (64)
21.84%
No (229)
78.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise