georgie_axolotls
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

I am under a huge amount of stress thanks to inconsistencies in the guidance I have been provided with over the phone regarding a placement and maintenance loans from SFE.

I applied for third year undergraduate tuition and maintenance, had it all approved. Come July I realised I may end up taking a placement, so called SFE and was told that as long as my uni were kept up to date, they would make sure I would recieve the money and get paid on time by notifying SFE for me when I enrolled.

Fast forward to a week or so back, I end up securing a last minute placement doing an independent unpaid research project within my institution (working 9-5). My uni approve the placement, and I enrol, but tell me I actually need to call SFE to tell them. I do so, and I'm told I could get my loan capped to a quarter of what it usually is, but I need to wait 6 weeks for them to tell me providing I update my details on my online account the same day.

I update my details, and the portal tells me it will take 6 weeks. Unfortunately I will likely need to make arrangements to terminate my contract with my accomodation if it ends up being capped, so I called sfe again to check if I could provide evidence etc to speed up the process. The lady told me on the phone just now that my loan has been capped but I need to fill out a PR1 form and start from scratch with my application (even though my application is waiting approval online). I was brought to tears and had to politely thank her and hang up.

First of all, shouldn't I still get the full maintenance if I'm working in an academic institution? Second of all... Why have I been told three different things every time I've called? I need this sorting urgently. I can't sleep at night.
Shirohige
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by georgie_axolotls)
Hi there,

I am under a huge amount of stress thanks to inconsistencies in the guidance I have been provided with over the phone regarding a placement and maintenance loans from SFE.

I applied for third year undergraduate tuition and maintenance, had it all approved. Come July I realised I may end up taking a placement, so called SFE and was told that as long as my uni were kept up to date, they would make sure I would recieve the money and get paid on time by notifying SFE for me when I enrolled.

Fast forward to a week or so back, I end up securing a last minute placement doing an independent unpaid research project within my institution (working 9-5). My uni approve the placement, and I enrol, but tell me I actually need to call SFE to tell them. I do so, and I'm told I could get my loan capped to a quarter of what it usually is, but I need to wait 6 weeks for them to tell me providing I update my details on my online account the same day.

I update my details, and the portal tells me it will take 6 weeks. Unfortunately I will likely need to make arrangements to terminate my contract with my accomodation if it ends up being capped, so I called sfe again to check if I could provide evidence etc to speed up the process. The lady told me on the phone just now that my loan has been capped but I need to fill out a PR1 form and start from scratch with my application (even though my application is waiting approval online). I was brought to tears and had to politely thank her and hang up.

First of all, shouldn't I still get the full maintenance if I'm working in an academic institution? Second of all... Why have I been told three different things every time I've called? I need this sorting urgently. I can't sleep at night.
You should post this in the ask student finance England section.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (5)
16.67%
No (25)
83.33%

Watched Threads