The Student Room Group

Triple Science Confusion AQA

Hi everyone,

I'm in uni atm but i'm asking for my younger brother since i'm a bit confused about how triple science is examined nowadays. I did triple in 2014 and it was examined as B1,B2,B3/C1,C2,C3/P1,P2,P3 and was known as "Core", "Additional" and "Further Additional Science".

However since the change in syllabus in 2016 for AQA there seems to be only 2 exams each for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. So is all the content just split between these 2 exams?

Long story short, i just need to know how AQA triple science is assessed.

Thanks in advance
I'm doing AQA triple science and I've been told that there are two papers for each of the sciences (all the content is split up between both exams) which then get averaged out to get your final grade for each science. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
there are 2 papers per subject

e.g for aqa biology paper 1s are assessing topics 1-4 ,
paper 2s assess topics 5-7

half the content is in paper 1 and the other half are in paper 2
Reply 3
Original post by n2697
Hi everyone,

I'm in uni atm but i'm asking for my younger brother since i'm a bit confused about how triple science is examined nowadays. I did triple in 2014 and it was examined as B1,B2,B3/C1,C2,C3/P1,P2,P3 and was known as "Core", "Additional" and "Further Additional Science".

However since the change in syllabus in 2016 for AQA there seems to be only 2 exams each for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. So is all the content just split between these 2 exams?

Thanks in advance

Yes there are two exams per subject, both are an hour and 15 long.
Most textbooks I have seen have the paper one topics in the first half (generally studied in year 10) and paper two in the second.
Year 10 exams/mock exams are generally paper 1.
It is unlikely that the paper 1 content would appear on paper 2, and vice versa, but there is often the odd mark.
There are also required practicals which link to each paper, your brother must have had the opportunity to see and study each practical. It is guaranteed that there will be a question about one of the required practicals in each paper and other skills like graph skills and general competence with working scientifically.
Paper 1 Biology- B1, B2,B3, B4

Paper 1 chem- C1 to C4

Paper 1 physics- P1 to P5

Paper 2s for each subject is the rest. E.g paper 2 biology is B4 to B7.
Original post by n2697
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

Check the specification he is studying - that will tell you the content as well :smile:
Reply 6
Ahh I understand the course a lot better now, thanks guys this all helped so much!

Quick Reply

Latest