The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge Engineering Applicants 2022

Good day! Are you an aspiring engineer looking to study at the University of Cambridge? If so, this is the thread where you can introduce yourself and a medium to discuss with others.

To introduce yourself answer the following questions:
1) Year of Entry
2) Home/International (Optional: Country)
3) What A Levels (or other eligible qualifications) are you taking and what are your predicted grades?
4) What grades did you get at GCSE?
5) Which college are you applying to? (Optional: Why)
6) Why Cambridge specifically?
7) What other universities are you going to apply to?
8) How are you preparing for the ENGAA?
9) What super/extracurricular activities are you doing to strengthen your application/Personal Statement?

Past Cambridge Engineering Applicants are encouraged to share some tips or opportunities such as competitions, good reads, and MOOCs.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I might as well start it off:

1) Year of Entry
International (Austria)
3) What A Levels (or other eligible qualifications) are you taking and what are your predicted grades?
Central Exam = Matura (Reifeprüfung): Subjects - German, English, Maths, Physics, Informatics, (Biology or Chemistry)
N/A - 1.0 (Best Grade) Average last four years and A+ average when I used to live in the US
Haven't completely decided yet but Pembroke, Emmanuel, and Sidney Sussex are my favorites
I prefer the course structure at Cambridge compared to Oxford and it is more "known" than Oxford in Engineering (even though both are great). Also, Cambridge is the heart of Silicon Fen which brings a lot of opportunities for engineers (e.g. internships)
UK: Imperial College London, Switzerland: ETH, Germany: TU Munich, Austria: TU Graz and TU Wien (and possibly Delft, KTH, and EPFL)
So far I have looked through a few problems from past papers and will start studying in the middle of spring next year.
9) What super/extracurricular activities are you doing to strengthen your application/Personal Statement?
I have won/been successful in multiple regional maths competitions. Have done many Isaac Physics questions to develop my physics skills which will help for ENGAA. I've took part in a youth innovation challenge and achieved 4th out of original 150 teams by engineering the Multipurpose Odor Sensing System (MOSS). We have made an in depth concept (tech, design, business canvas etc.) and are looking to make a prototype this school year. Additionally, I have made a concept in the biomedical engineering field. Furthermore, I won the Downing College and Cambridge Zero Climate Change Letter Competition. Finally, next summer I am looking to do an internship in a local company (most likely in the electrical engineering field --> semiconductors and sensors).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
1) Year of Entry 2022
2) Home/International (Optional: Country) home
3) What A Levels (or other eligible qualifications) are you taking and what are your predicted grades? Maths , Further Maths , Physics, Spanish
5) Which college are you applying to? (Optional: Why) Unsure
Like the structure, location, opportunities
7) What other universities are you going to apply to? Unsure: Warwick probably
8) How are you preparing for the ENGAA? I’m not yet

None as yet.. had always assumed I would do maths at uni but have recently looked at Engineering
Reply 3
bump
1) Year of Entry
Home.
I haven’t gotten prediction but I take ALevel Maths, Physics, Biology, EPQ.
9,8-8,7,7,7,7,7,7,6.
I haven’t decided yet but I’m thinking of Christ, st Catherine, st Johns.
6) Why Cambridge specifically? I like the course structure, you get to study others modules from other engineering courses that you won’t get in other universities.
Leeds, Bristol and 2 more.
I’m going to practice past paper questions this summer.

Engineering degree taster, aerospace engineering work experience, learning programming, watching YouTube courses on engineering and many more.
Reply 5
1) Year of Entry
Home
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry - predicted 4 A*s
Twelve straight 9s in Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, English Language, Electronics, Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish, Classical Greek and Latin
I am thinking of Downing College because of its location, accommodation and the facilities.
Cambridge has a world-renowned Engineering department and I particularly like the broad and general approach to the subject. I also like the collegiate system
University of Manchester and Imperial College London
Haven't really started, did one past paper.
I have done several engineering FutureLearn courses, virtual work experiences at Siemens and Airbus, engineering degree tasters with Springpod and I have won a Gold Award in the British Physics Olympiad and a Medal at the British Mathematical Olympiad.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello!

1) Year of Entry
Home
Maths, Physics, Economics, predicted 3 A*'s
No clue yet but preferably an older one with nice green scenery, majority of students from state even though I'm in private
Always wanted to go since I was young, and now it's convenient to my course as I like its structure.
Probably Warwick, UCL, Edinburgh, manchester
Practice

did an engineering degree taster, had meetings with workers from rolls royce and price and Myers, other physics and maths experience
Reply 7
Which college did everyone go for in the end? How is ENgAA prep going?
Original post by Amp242
Which college did everyone go for in the end? How is ENgAA prep going?

Trinity and I'm fairly confident about the engaa.wbu?
Reply 9
Original post by EngWave_22
Good day! Are you an aspiring engineer looking to study at the University of Cambridge? If so, this is the thread where you can introduce yourself and a medium to discuss with others.

To introduce yourself answer the following questions:
1) Year of Entry

Past Cambridge Engineering Applicants are encouraged to share some tips or opportunities such as competitions, good reads, and MOOCs.

1) 2022
2) Home
3) Maths, FM, Physics, Econ (4A* achieved)
4) Eight 9s, Four A*, One A
5) King's, well-known and hopefully more people there like me
6) Literally just because it's well-known for engineering, the fact that it's general also
7) ICL, Southampton (got offer), Manchester, UCL
8) Doing a bunch of questions and past papers
9) idek how to answer this
Reply 10
Original post by Itsmikeysfault
Trinity and I'm fairly confident about the engaa.wbu?

Good luck! It’s my son.. he applied to christs . He looked at one Engaa paper the other week and plans to do a couple of practice papers next week 🙏
what kind of score are you guys getting on the ENGAA? I've done a few papers but I'm not sure what I need to be aiming for.
Reply 12
Original post by star-beans
what kind of score are you guys getting on the ENGAA? I've done a few papers but I'm not sure what I need to be aiming for.

you can find a lot of old score conversions and ENGAA scores of previous offer holders online

Have a look at this
https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/engaa/guides/good-score-engaa-cambridge/
Reply 14

My son did one part of paper 1 last week just to get a feel for it.. he did find time an issue (which I’ve been telling him for months that’s why he should practice!) he got about 65% 🤷🏼*♀️ As obv run out of time
Reply 15
Good luck to all this week 🙏
Good luck everyone tomorrow !!
Reply 17
How did you find it?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by bruck7
How did you find it?

way harder than the past papers imo, section 1a was decent but the rest...
Reply 19
Son said it was “really hard but ok”.. he said he didn’t quite finish p1b .. had 3 he left out. He feels he has probably performed better than the couple of practice papers he did but who knows

Quick Reply

Latest