EngWave_22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Good day! Are you an aspiring engineer looking to study at the University of Cambridge? If so, this is the thread where you can introduce yourself and a medium to discuss with others.

To introduce yourself answer the following questions:
1) Year of Entry
2) Home/International (Optional: Country)
3) What A Levels (or other eligible qualifications) are you taking and what are your predicted grades?
4) What grades did you get at GCSE?
5) Which college are you applying to? (Optional: Why)
6) Why Cambridge specifically?
7) What other universities are you going to apply to?
8) How are you preparing for the ENGAA?
9) What super/extracurricular activities are you doing to strengthen your application/Personal Statement?

Past Cambridge Engineering Applicants are encouraged to share some tips or opportunities such as competitions, good reads, and MOOCs.
Last edited by EngWave_22; 3 months ago
EngWave_22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I might as well start it off:

1) Year of Entry
International (Austria)
3) What A Levels (or other eligible qualifications) are you taking and what are your predicted grades?
Central Exam = Matura (Reifeprüfung): Subjects - German, English, Maths, Physics, Informatics, (Biology or Chemistry)
N/A - 1.0 (Best Grade) Average last four years and A+ average when I used to live in the US
Haven't completely decided yet but Pembroke, Emmanuel, and Sidney Sussex are my favorites
I prefer the course structure at Cambridge compared to Oxford and it is more "known" than Oxford in Engineering (even though both are great). Also, Cambridge is the heart of Silicon Fen which brings a lot of opportunities for engineers (e.g. internships)
UK: Imperial College London, Switzerland: ETH, Germany: TU Munich, Austria: TU Graz and TU Wien (and possibly Delft, KTH, and EPFL)
So far I have looked through a few problems from past papers and will start studying in the middle of spring next year.
9) What super/extracurricular activities are you doing to strengthen your application/Personal Statement?
I have won/been successful in multiple regional maths competitions. Have done many Isaac Physics questions to develop my physics skills which will help for ENGAA. I've took part in a youth innovation challenge and achieved 4th out of original 150 teams by engineering the Multipurpose Odor Sensing System (MOSS). We have made an in depth concept (tech, design, business canvas etc.) and are looking to make a prototype this school year. Additionally, I have made a concept in the biomedical engineering field. Furthermore, I won the Downing College and Cambridge Zero Climate Change Letter Competition. Finally, next summer I am looking to do an internship in a local company (most likely in the electrical engineering field --> semiconductors and sensors).
Last edited by EngWave_22; 5 months ago
Amp242
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
1) Year of Entry 2022
2) Home/International (Optional: Country) home
3) What A Levels (or other eligible qualifications) are you taking and what are your predicted grades? Maths , Further Maths , Physics, Spanish
5) Which college are you applying to? (Optional: Why) Unsure
Like the structure, location, opportunities
7) What other universities are you going to apply to? Unsure: Warwick probably
8) How are you preparing for the ENGAA? I’m not yet

None as yet.. had always assumed I would do maths at uni but have recently looked at Engineering
EngWave_22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
bump
AlevelMaths16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) Year of Entry
Home.
I haven’t gotten prediction but I take ALevel Maths, Physics, Biology, EPQ.
9,8-8,7,7,7,7,7,7,6.
I haven’t decided yet but I’m thinking of Christ, st Catherine, st Johns.
6) Why Cambridge specifically? I like the course structure, you get to study others modules from other engineering courses that you won’t get in other universities.
Leeds, Bristol and 2 more.
I’m going to practice past paper questions this summer.

Engineering degree taster, aerospace engineering work experience, learning programming, watching YouTube courses on engineering and many more.
jeedali
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
1) Year of Entry
Home
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry - predicted 4 A*s
Twelve straight 9s in Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, English Language, Electronics, Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Spanish, Classical Greek and Latin
I am thinking of Downing College because of its location, accommodation and the facilities.
Cambridge has a world-renowned Engineering department and I particularly like the broad and general approach to the subject. I also like the collegiate system
University of Manchester and Imperial College London
Haven't really started, did one past paper.
I have done several FutureLearn courses, virtual work experiences at Siemens and Airbus and I have won a Gold Award in the British Physics Olympiad and a Medal at the British Mathematical Olympiad.
Last edited by jeedali; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.53%
Uncertainty around my education (60)
11.45%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (63)
12.02%
Lack of purpose or motivation (68)
12.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (29)
5.53%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (24)
4.58%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (55)
10.5%
Financial worries (32)
6.11%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.82%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
6.3%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.86%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (52)
9.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (44)
8.4%

Watched Threads