how much does a personal statement matter

Watch
etohin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
i want to apply to oxford & obviously this means early application. however i am having trouble writing my personal statement. i have the predicted grades and am on track for doing well in the entrance exam, but i just cant do my personal statement. how important is it and how can i write a really good one
6ambz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
what course are you applying for
Niagew
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Some universities don't even read your personal statement tbh, but for oxford you might need to make it good.
etohin
Rep:
?
(Original post by 6ambz)
what course are you applying for
human sciences
6ambz
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by etohin)
human sciences
For oxford your personal statement is definitely important, i suggest watching youtube videos about how to structure a human sciences personal statement as i don’t know much about that but I suggest spending a few days planning and then spend a couple days on your first draft. If your applying for 2021 entry you better get started!

For a basic structure I did this for my personal statement
Introduction - short, snappy, included something personal about my self and why i wanted to study my course

3 of my main paragraphs were focused on my chosen course, i included things like wider reading/documentaries and work experience that relate to my course. What i had experienced and learnt from all of this. A paragraph explaining how my a level subjects were important in helping me develop skills i need for my course. Expand on each subject

I had one paragraph on extra curricular activities such as my job and debate club, don’t spend much time on this as your personal statement needs to be 80% course related and academic and 20% else. Then a short conclusion maybe talking about your future aspirations and why you would be a good candidate.

I found that starting from my extra curricular paragraph, then my a level paragraph and my conclusion was easier as it didn’t require things like extra reading and research. I then had a grasp of what my personal statement should be like and writing my other paragraphs went fluently from there. Leave your introduction till last!! It works best!

Best of luck
etohin
Rep:
?
(Original post by 6ambz)
For oxford your personal statement is definitely important, i suggest watching youtube videos about how to structure a human sciences personal statement as i don’t know much about that but I suggest spending a few days planning and then spend a couple days on your first draft. If your applying for 2021 entry you better get started!

For a basic structure I did this for my personal statement
Introduction - short, snappy, included something personal about my self and why i wanted to study my course

3 of my main paragraphs were focused on my chosen course, i included things like wider reading/documentaries and work experience that relate to my course. What i had experienced and learnt from all of this. A paragraph explaining how my a level subjects were important in helping me develop skills i need for my course. Expand on each subject

I had one paragraph on extra curricular activities such as my job and debate club, don’t spend much time on this as your personal statement needs to be 80% course related and academic and 20% else. Then a short conclusion maybe talking about your future aspirations and why you would be a good candidate.

I found that starting from my extra curricular paragraph, then my a level paragraph and my conclusion was easier as it didn’t require things like extra reading and research. I then had a grasp of what my personal statement should be like and writing my other paragraphs went fluently from there. Leave your introduction till last!! It works best!

Best of luck
thank you! this is really helpful.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by etohin)
thank you! this is really helpful.
Check out this as a good starting point https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads