What's it like to study in Paris/The American Uni of Paris?

Watch
Axolotll
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi there! I'm going through quite a dilema in terms of where I'd like to study etc, and one place I'm considering is the American university of Paris as it has a load of subjects I'd like to study, has like a liberal arts system and is all in English. I'd love to study here but I have some questions and I thought perhaps somebody who's studied here or in Paris could help me out a little bit by answering my questions?

1 - How easy is it to get financial aid

2 - Is it extremely difficult finding a part time job in Paris with limited French? I know its kind of a dumb question, but as somebody who's only knowledge in French comes from year 7-9, I want to know how easy it would be just to find an English job just so I can atleast afford a pot noodle lol

3 - I guess this one is for anybody who has studied specifically at this uni, what's it like there? Is it good and worth the stress of moving abroad?
angelinahx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Axolotll)
Hi there! I'm going through quite a dilema in terms of where I'd like to study etc, and one place I'm considering is the American university of Paris as it has a load of subjects I'd like to study, has like a liberal arts system and is all in English. I'd love to study here but I have some questions and I thought perhaps somebody who's studied here or in Paris could help me out a little bit by answering my questions?

1 - How easy is it to get financial aid

2 - Is it extremely difficult finding a part time job in Paris with limited French? I know its kind of a dumb question, but as somebody who's only knowledge in French comes from year 7-9, I want to know how easy it would be just to find an English job just so I can atleast afford a pot noodle lol

3 - I guess this one is for anybody who has studied specifically at this uni, what's it like there? Is it good and worth the stress of moving abroad?
1) It's hard for that university because it's American. American universities are notorious for being expensive and you won't be eligible for loans so you'd have to pay some of the tuition with your own money (says on their website they only give 50% of aid to excellent students). However there is a UK university of Paris which you can apply for through UCAS.
2) Yes, it's challenging. You are going to have to learn French because why would a company hire you over someone who speaks fluent French and intermediate English? Not sure if you've been to Paris but everything is in French unless you're going to specific tourist destinations and even then people won't always speak English.
3) I haven't studied at this specific university but studying abroad is definitely worth it but it depends on where you study. Paris is beautiful but it's incredibly extortionate and expensive so you might not be able to enjoy typical student life as much as you would in a city like Berlin unless you are rich.
Last edited by angelinahx; 2 weeks ago
Axolotll
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by angelinahx)
1) It's hard for that university because it's American. American universities are notorious for being expensive and you won't be eligible for loans so you'd have to pay some of the tuition with your own money (says on their website they only give 50% of aid to excellent students). However there is a UK university of Paris which you can apply for through UCAS.
2) Yes, it's challenging. You are going to have to learn French because why would a company hire you over someone who speaks fluent French and intermediate English? Not sure if you've been to Paris but everything is in French unless you're going to specific tourist destinations and even then people won't always speak English.
3) I haven't studied at this specific university but studying abroad is definitely worth it but it depends on where you study. Paris is beautiful but it's incredibly extortionate and expensive so you might not be able to enjoy typical student life as much as you would in a city like Berlin unless you are rich.
Thanks for the response!!!
Annoyingly the UK Universities there don't have what I want, which was why I have been looking at the American one. Haha yeah sorry I know it was a bit of a dumb question, in hindsight I kinda knew that myself but when I went to Paris before I never really took that in and considered that. I may look further into other universities in Europe as well though, since its something I'd love to do, though annoyingly that Uni and Paris seem extremely good as somebody looking into doing Arts.
Thank you for the response!!! I really appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (47)
22.93%
No (158)
77.07%

Watched Threads