The Student Room Group

What modern text can I compare with little women

For my English NEA we need to compare a common theme in Two pieces of literature, one should be from pre 20th century and the other more modern. I was considering doing little women as one of mine but I’m not sure what theme to focus on as I can’t find another prose or drama to fit with it, I’m open to all suggestions x
Atonement by Ian McEwan could work- you could explore childhood experiences, innocence, feminism etc. Or Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro- again maybe focusing on growing up and how little power children have- in Little Women the girls had very little power because of society (expected to get married etc), and in Never Let Me Go, Ruth/Kathy's lives were determined for them. Maybe look at the choices children have and how this has changed. Even the Cement Garden by McEwan- also about children.

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood is brilliant- you could focus on children and innocence again.

Drama might be a bit more difficult- I can't think of any at the moment. Can you do poetry? If so Sylvia Plath would be great- both focus on young women in American but over 100 years apart.
Reply 2
Thanks so much, I’ve read atonement but sadly we are not allowed it as it’s on some specifications, never let me go sounds good so I will read into that. We are allowed to do poetry but it needs to be a 5000 word comparative essay so it’s more challenging with a shorter text.
Thanks again for your help x
Reply 3
Original post by ellajayxo
Thanks so much, I’ve read atonement but sadly we are not allowed it as it’s on some specifications, never let me go sounds good so I will read into that. We are allowed to do poetry but it needs to be a 5000 word comparative essay so it’s more challenging with a shorter text.
Thanks again for your help x
hi! what did you end up doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending