The Student Room Group

Driving test and temporary speed limits

Hi all, first post here and I really hope you're able to help. I'll try and fail to keep this brief.

My test was booked for Newcastle under Lyme in May, but was of course cancelled and re-booked, then cancelled again - common story.

Anyway, I finally had my invitation to book another test and there was not a single test available in the original area for at least 3 months so I opted to take the test in Crewe with around 3 weeks notice, no driving instructor available and an area I'd never been to. (fool)

I need to get this test done and I'm just as comfortable in my own car so that's what I'll do. HOWEVER!! Crewe is a nightmare when you don't know you way around. Finally getting to grips with it but there are a bunch of roadworks with temporary 20mph speed limits.

So.... to get to my point! The temporary speed limits only have speed limit signs when you enter the area and no sign to advise you've left the restriction - nothing, and with the roads usually being 30s there are no fixed signs about.

Without an instructor I'm struggling to know how to approach this. In my mind, I should continue at 20mph until I see another sign, but 30 zones are not marked, so until I reach another change of speed limit (20/40/50/NS) I'll be crawling along at 20, which in some cases is a mile or more.

I don't want to screw up for driving to slowly, and I don't want to fail for speeding.
This link shows the roads I'm referring to marked in Green.

If you made it this far, what would you do?

Thank you so much for reading!!
Reply 1
I've yet to encounter any roadworks with a mandatory 20 speed limit (indicated by a red circle). Are there just advisory (rectangular) signs instead? I see a lot of "max speed 20" signs when there are loose chippings left on the road. This doesn't mean you have to crawl along at 20, especially if the chippings have bedded in for so long that you can no longer hear them hitting your car. In this case, drive at a sensible appropriate speed within the roadworks and when you leave the roadworks area (usually when you see "End" under the triangular roadworks sign), return to the permanent posted speed limit.

Any temporary speed limit indicated by a red circle will always have the permanent speed limit posted in a circle at the end of the roadworks.
Reply 2
Original post by Advisor
I've yet to encounter any roadworks with a mandatory 20 speed limit (indicated by a red circle). Are there just advisory (rectangular) signs instead? I see a lot of "max speed 20" signs when there are loose chippings left on the road. This doesn't mean you have to crawl along at 20, especially if the chippings have bedded in for so long that you can no longer hear them hitting your car. In this case, drive at a sensible appropriate speed within the roadworks and when you leave the roadworks area (usually when you see "End" under the triangular roadworks sign), return to the permanent posted speed limit.

Any temporary speed limit indicated by a red circle will always have the permanent speed limit posted in a circle at the end of the roadworks.

So to confirm, if you can still hear chippings hitting your car, you should follow the advisory speed limit in a test?
Reply 3
Original post by Larna14
So to confirm, if you can still hear chippings hitting your car, you should follow the advisory speed limit in a test?

Imagine you're driving your own car. If you hear the sound of your car being damaged, you'd reduce speed until you can no longer hear the damage. Just do that. It may not be the exact speed as shown on the advisory sign, but just slow as much as needed so that your car's paintwork isn't getting peppered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending