The Student Room Group

Electric scooter

I will be taking public transport to uni this year. (I have just started learning to drive and can’t afford a car at the moment.)
I am thinking of buying a scooter too as there is a 30 min walk from my stop to the uni and I will be carrying a heavy backpack.
Anyone know anything about scooters and if this is worth it?
Reply 1
If you buy an electric scooter it's currently illegal to ride it anywhere but on private land, so save your money. If you break the law you're looking at a hefty fine and 6 points on your driving licence, if you have one.

The reason is they are classed as motor vehicles and are subject to things like MOT and tax, and having certain build specifications. However, because they don't usually have rear red lights, number plates or indicators, they can't be used legally on the roads; neither can they be ridden on pavements or cycle paths.

The government are trialling the use of electric scooters in public areas, but that's only for hired scooters and in certain locations.
Original post by Surnia
If you buy an electric scooter it's currently illegal to ride it anywhere but on private land, so save your money. If you break the law you're looking at a hefty fine and 6 points on your driving licence, if you have one.

Also the trauma of the police smashing/confiscating your scooter in front of you :frown: :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Also the trauma of the police smashing/confiscating your scooter in front of you :frown: :tongue:

I thought they'd take it back to the station and take turns to ride it around their car park. You know, build a few half pipes or do an Evil Kneival jump over whoever they have available from the cells. Then smash it when they got bored....:biggrin:
Original post by Surnia
I thought they'd take it back to the station and take turns to ride it around their car park. You know, build a few half pipes or do an Evil Kneival jump over whoever they have available from the cells. Then smash it when they got bored....:biggrin:

True, they might save smashing it for later. They used to be brutal with confiscated Mini Moto bikes when they were a thing :tongue:
Reply 5
Electric scooters are a no no. They're illegal and there's a fair few morons out there on the streets who draw attention to themselves weaving across the street when they shouldn't.

If I were you, I'd consider getting a cycle for that kind of journey. If you have a few quid spare, go do your CBT and get a cheapo moped or scooter!

Can ride it around on L plates with a CBT; cheap insurance and fuel too. At least while you're learning to drive the experience on a scooter/ped will help. It's all road experience at the end of the day and it gets you far enough to do all sorts.

CBT is a day long course and usually around 100 quid.
Get a bike.
Motor or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending