The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
burninginme
Proposals such as this one aren't a million miles off what some people would suggest in a newspaper such as the Gaurdian. I think they're needs to be more controls on what the left-wing say too. Propals such as this are dangerous, and quite honestly racist. If a similar thing was published in TSR pet-hate newspaper, The Daily Mail, but about White schools, it would be deemed terribily racist, by the media in general, and the author of the article would have to go into hiding out of fear of being murdered by fanatical thugs and there would be a huge boycott on the paper. Left-wing pricks spout *******s like this and alls good.

Who the hell says it's all good? Everyone is disagreeing with this :rolleyes: It's not even an article from the guardian. And just because an article is published who says it's agreed with? Maybe this was published to show how idiotic this man is.
WOLLSMOTH
Wow that is an insult. The education system is double plus unsmart, pupils really shouldn't be treated like this.

It really was an awful affair. We were all stuffed into this hall, to watch a presentation by Stanley Tec.'s students on a cheap, half-sized keyboard and drum kit. The certificates we were given were just, piss poor.

I just had to walk out. Oh, and the crowd was on the verge of booing me for announcing my actual grades.:no:
she
Wrong. The guardian publishes anything it's journalists want to write about (something the newspaper thinks makes it special) rather than making the journalists follow an agenda. Although obviously their is a bias. And this article isn't even from the guardian...

Yeah, theoretically the newspaper has no politican position, but it has become a centre-left/left wing newspaper because of the types of journalists that write in it.
she
Who the hell says it's all good? Everyone is disagreeing with this :rolleyes: It's not even an article from the guardian. And just because an article is published who says it's agreed with? Maybe this was published to show how idiotic this man is.

You're saying a small discussion on TSR is the whole media? I know people disagree with it, but no one really cares. I very much doubt this will be on the news tonight or anything, yet if the proposal was made about White Schools, it would be all over the news.
Reply 44
burninginme
Yeah, theoretically the newspaper has no politican position, but it has become a centre-left/left wing newspaper because of the types of journalists that write in it.

Oh and as for saying earlier this is the type of thing the Guardian would suggest, well you don't really read the Guardian much do you? This is something they would protest about.
Reply 45
burninginme
Proposals such as this one aren't a million miles off what some people would suggest in a newspaper such as the Gaurdian. I think they're needs to be more controls on what the left-wing say too. Propals such as this are dangerous, and quite honestly racist. If a similar thing was published in TSR pet-hate newspaper, The Daily Mail, but about White schools, it would be deemed terribily racist, by the media in general, and the author of the article would have to go into hiding out of fear of being murdered by fanatical thugs and there would be a huge boycott on the paper. Left-wing pricks spout *******s like this and alls good.

Why do you think the proposal is a left-wing one ?

Personally I don't advocate the censorship of the press you propose,
Reply 46
Juts for some more insight into this article, who Lee Jasper is:

from wikipedia:

"His experience includes being Senior Policy Advisor to the Inner London Education Authority (ILEA); Director of Development of the Mangrove Trust; Chair of Mangrove Community Association, Notting Hill; Secretary, Notting Hill Carnival; Press and Publicity Officer, Interval Housing Project, Rainer Foundation. Jasper was the Director of the 1990 Trust (1995 - 2000), a leading policy organisation on issues affecting African, Asian, and Caribbean communities in the United Kingdom and Europe. In 1998 he won a Premiere Community Award from Britain's biggest black newspaper, The Voice, for his work in race relations. Jasper is an ex-board member of the Royal Commonwealth Society (1997-1999). He is also the President of the National Black Students Alliance, as well as the Deputy Representative of the UK on the European Council's European National Anti Racist Network.

Politically, he has been active in the Labour Party and comes from a moderate black nationalist perspective"
Reply 47
Ed.
Why do you think the proposal is a left-wing one ?

Personally I don't advocate the censorship of the press you propose,

Sadly it did come from a left-winger, who also happens to be a black nationalist though.
she
Sadly it did come from a left-winger, who also happens to be a black nationalist though.

Sounds like the guy is a bit of a hypocrite to be honest. He advocates he's left-wing, yet is also a Black Nationalist, which is in general, a right wing policy. So, now the Labour Party openly accept Black Nationalists, I'm guessing they'd also be happy to have White Nationalists in their membership?
Reply 49
she

That doesn't make it a left-wing policy though. It isn't part of left-wing ideals - and isn't a left-wing policy. It is a policy proposed by a confused left-wing person.
Ed.
That doesn't make it a left-wing policy though. It isn't part of left-wing ideals - and isn't a left-wing policy. It is a policy proposed by a confused left-wing person.

Well, I guess technically speaking, as it's come from a black men himself, the policy is actually quite right-wing, and has quite a few paralels with the sort of thing that might be suggested by Nazi Germany, or aparteid South Africa.

However, Right Wing politics has negative conotations in the UK, so I'm sure he'd considered his suggestion a left-wing one.
Reply 51
Racist ****
Reply 52
burninginme
Well, I guess technically speaking, as it's come from a black men himself, the policy is actually quite right-wing, and has quite a few paralels with the sort of thing that might be suggested by Nazi Germany, or aparteid South Africa.

Exactly- so what prompted your ill-informed attack on the left-wing and the Guardian ?
RyanT
I'm sorry - is he implying black people have different behavioural, pastoral (alarm bells), psychological and cultural (sorry I thought they were British regardless of skin colour?) needs?

Where I live and work, everyone is black. OK, so not everyone but a bloody big majority. Their parents were born here, they were born here.....they're British...but they do not see themselves as British at all.
They walk around talking all funny, with fake accents and these Carribean words. The other day at work some woman called me a "stupid british white girl with no respect for other cultures" because I gave her a funny look when she called me some silly word that I do not understand. So I said to her "well you're just a stupid black british woman who refuses to accept the nationality of the country you were raised in."
Completely off topic, but a lot of black people, ones from the Carribean from what i've personally experienced, don't see themselves as British at all.
So his point is somewhat true.
Although I do think this black school thing is *******s.
ch0c0h01ic

Gang culture? That is mainly due to social reasons, not educational ones. A lot of 'black' families are single parent families. Also it is down to discipline and family values that kids go into gangs, not because they're being taught by a white teacher.

This 'social reasons' idea is bull which is used by people who want to make apologies for crime, I was brought up by a single mother on a low income in a poor part of Manchester and I never came close to turning to crime - you can't use poverty or a difficult upbringing as an excuse for crime, we all have free choice and free will.

I am not pointing this accusation at black youth in particular, the same holds for white and asian gang kids.
"Some of the greatest black leaders in the world - Dr Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, to name just two - attended all black schools and universities.

...because of segregation... that's not a great example...
Gosh that's the worst idea I've heard of for a long while. It would just create more segregration and I'd be surprised if noone accused the guy of racism yet.
Reply 57
No No No No
she
Juts for some more insight into this article, who Lee Jasper is:

from wikipedia:

"His experience includes being Senior Policy Advisor to the Inner London Education Authority (ILEA); Director of Development of the Mangrove Trust; Chair of Mangrove Community Association, Notting Hill; Secretary, Notting Hill Carnival; Press and Publicity Officer, Interval Housing Project, Rainer Foundation. Jasper was the Director of the 1990 Trust (1995 - 2000), a leading policy organisation on issues affecting African, Asian, and Caribbean communities in the United Kingdom and Europe. In 1998 he won a Premiere Community Award from Britain's biggest black newspaper, The Voice, for his work in race relations. Jasper is an ex-board member of the Royal Commonwealth Society (1997-1999). He is also the President of the National Black Students Alliance, as well as the Deputy Representative of the UK on the European Council's European National Anti Racist Network.

Politically, he has been active in the Labour Party and comes from a moderate black nationalist perspective"

I think they deliberately left ou tthat he is also a member of the BNP.
While I think this is a bad idea - I don't think we can just easily dismiss it and tell people what to do. Have we even considered what a high proportion of black students may want?

In my sixth form college there were obviously both white AND black people, and "segregation" happened anyway. Just within the same school boundaries.

Now obviously I would not advocate STATE schools doing this, that'd be an abomination of taxpayers money. But if private schools were set up for just black students (and yes all white ones too if you really want) - and kids actually wanted to go there, and the parents paid appropiate fees ... who are we to stop them really? That's their decision whether we agree with it or not! Who knows? Maybe it would get them better results because it IS the case that currently they underachieve in comparison to white/asian students.

I understand how this would promote a society of racism, intolerance etc ... well firstly most people would still go for free state schooling, which would be mixed. Secondly if somebody IS racist, you can't just stick them next to a white person and say "stop being racist" - the issue of racism needs to be tackled yes, but not from coercion.

Well that's my opinion and I understand why its by far a minority opinion. It'll never happen anyway and tbh I'm not going to lose any sleep over that. But it means I can sleep easy knowing that if people are unhappy with the current system its not because of me! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending