YouCantSeeMe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I’m hoping this will help some people especially students who are wondering how to get a good job and deal with finances.

My achievements by 23

Home owner
Flat renter
Car owner
£40k salary working as a part Qualified accounting (Corporate not professional services)

Please be specific if you want to know grades etc or other things. This is AMA so I’ll try to be open.

I had 3 offers at the end of my university course with 3 of the UK’s biggest Telecoms firms (my area of interest)

Genuinely trying to help people as I think I’m bang average academically and I’ve been working since 14 stacking shelves non stop (local newsagents)
Last edited by YouCantSeeMe; 8 months ago
username5367196
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How did you become a part qualified accountant?
What grades did you get at A level?
Which uni did you go?
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Did you gain any work experience while at university or in sixth form?
YouCantSeeMe
Rep:
?
@idki009
1. Applied to a corporate grad scheme who pay my study fees whilst I work, there are 16 exams which I have done 7 of so technically, 1 away from part qualified! But my ego forces me to pretend I’ve done it already lol. It’s not easy working and studying I have to admit. I sacrifice most of my personal/social time to study.
2. CCD (I flopped as I really didn’t enjoy my courses, I stopped going to most classes, I was initially planning to do medicine but I hated the college style of science. I was lost and didn’t know where else my career would take me)
3. I went to a non Russel group for me 🤷🏽*♂️ as per my A-levels
YouCantSeeMe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
Did you gain any work experience while at university or in sixth form?
Yes, I managed to get a placement at A UK telco network at Uni. I networked and managed to get a short stint at Grant Thornton (off intern cycle) for 2 weeks which helped a lot. NETWORK. NETWORK. NETWORK.
ath99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What degree did you do?
What graduate scheme did you apply to?
Last edited by ath99; 8 months ago
boyiw
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by YouCantSeeMe)
Hi, I’m hoping this will help some people especially students who are wondering how to get a good job and deal with finances.

My achievements by 23

Home owner
Flat renter
Car owner
£40k salary working as a part Qualified accounting (Corporate not professional services)

Please be specific if you want to know grades etc or other things. This is AMA so I’ll try to be open.

I had 3 offers at the end of my university course with 3 of the UK’s biggest Telecoms firms (my area of interest)

Genuinely trying to help people as I think I’m bang average academically and I’ve working since 14 stacking shelves non stop (local newsagents)
What a guy shows hard work pays off.
YouCantSeeMe
Rep:
?
(Original post by ath99)
What degree did you do?
I studied IR
YouCantSeeMe
Rep:
?
(Original post by boyiw)
What a guy shows hard work pays off.
TYSM man, appreciate it.
boyiw
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What kept you motivated and how did you keep a positive growth mindset?
YouCantSeeMe
Rep:
?
(Original post by boyiw)
What kept you motivated and how did you keep a positive growth mindset?
To be I wasn’t motivated for a long time. After my alevels, I was lost for a long time, then my gf of three years broke up with me, i went into depression for over a year and it was hard to do my job on placement day to day. But I picked myself up and decided to become the BVOM, hit the gym - gained muscle, started researching every night on careers and how to be confident/ network - practiced presenting a lot, practiced excel skills and kept pushing past each failure. On my industrial year i failed 45 applications. I truly think in order to grow to new heights in life, you have to sink to the bottom. Sorry if this is super dark, but that’s why I am the person I am now and why I’ve seen the success I have, I have the drive to keep developing and I don’t need to motivate myself anymore, it is just there as I know I never want to be the person I was when I wanted to just give up on life.

•Start your day early, keep an open mind
•eat healthy,
•exercise 4x per week
•REMOVE TOXIC FRIENDS OR PEOPLE WHO HOLD YOU BACK
•Read
•you only grow when you are outside your comfort zone
•do not be afraid to fail, failure is humbling, and forces you to adapt
•never be scared to innovate

Also I loved that question, thank you
sunshinehss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Spoiler:
Show
To be I wasn’t motivated for a long time. After my alevels, I was lost for a long time, then my gf of three years broke up with me, i went into depression for over a year and it was hard to do my job on placement day to day. But I picked myself up and decided to become the BVOM, hit the gym - gained muscle, started researching every night on careers and how to be confident/ network - practiced presenting a lot, practiced excel skills and kept pushing past each failure. On my industrial year i failed 45 applications. I truly think in order to grow to new heights in life, you have to sink to the bottom. Sorry if this is super dark, but that’s why I am the person I am now and why I’ve seen the success I have, I have the drive to keep developing and I don’t need to motivate myself anymore, it is just there as I know I never want to be the person I was when I wanted to just give up on life.

•Start your day early, keep an open mind
•eat healthy,
•exercise 4x per week
•REMOVE TOXIC FRIENDS OR PEOPLE WHO HOLD YOU BACK
•Read
•you only grow when you are outside your comfort zone
•do not be afraid to fail, failure is humbling, and forces you to adapt
•never be scared to innovate

Also I loved that question, thank you
This is such a great answer, although I don't have a question to ask yet I've enjoyed reading the replies so far Well done man 👏
Native087
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Have you established any forms of passive income? Or do you just take regular pay from your full time job?
YouCantSeeMe
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunshinehss)
This is such a great answer, although I don't have a question to ask yet I've enjoyed reading the replies so far Well done man 👏
Thank you!!
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Can I see you?
Thisismyunitsr
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What would suggest I do if I am long term unemployed
YouCantSeeMe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Native087)
Have you established any forms of passive income? Or do you just take regular pay from your full time job?
My passive income comes from my appreciate assets (I.e) my house which I renovated into a 3 tier flat (it was an old Victorian house, and I also converted the loft). I am hoping to build my portfolio. I personally am not a financially risky person and even though I understand the stock market quite well due to my career I choose to avoid it. I prefer investing in startups, land and property. I am hoping to purchase another house in the next few years or some commercial land in partnership with a friend from school! At the moment my career is my biggest focus and passing my exams.
Native087
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My passive income comes from my appreciate assets (I.e) my house which I renovated into a 3 tier flat (it was an old Victorian house, and I also converted the loft). I am hoping to build my portfolio. I personally am not a financially risky person and even though I understand the stock market quite well due to my career I choose to avoid it. I prefer investing in startups, land and property. I am hoping to purchase another house in the next few years or some commercial land in partnership with a friend from school! At the moment my career is my biggest focus and passing my exams.
interesting, cheers for the info - good luck for the future.
YouCantSeeMe
Rep:
?
Can I see you?
Say John Cena, 3x in the bathroom mirror at midnight
What would suggest I do if I am long term unemployed
Tricky situation, when applying to jobs make sure you CV is tailored, jump on free excel courses, use your LinkedIn to network with people in your desired fields and reach out to them for advice. Look at apprenticeships too! A bit sketchy in advice, but hope it helps...
username3620454
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
@idki009
1. Applied to a corporate grad scheme who pay my study fees whilst I work, there are 16 exams which I have done 7 of so technically, 1 away from part qualified! But my ego forces me to pretend I’ve done it already lol. It’s not easy working and studying I have to admit. I sacrifice most of my personal/social time to study.
2. CCD (I flopped as I really didn’t enjoy my courses, I stopped going to most classes, I was initially planning to do medicine but I hated the college style of science. I was lost and didn’t know where else my career would take me)
3. I went to Aston Uni, no Russel group for me 🤷🏽*♂️ as per my A-levels
Sounds like you're doing ACA?

You're not part qualified. You need 12 passes out of 15 to become part qualified i.e. Certificate and professional level must be completed and you should just have advanced level to do.

How are you earning £40k when you're not even part qualified?! Is it with an addition of a side hustle?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (119)
27.17%
England (155)
35.39%
Belgium (33)
7.53%
Germany (43)
9.82%
Spain (10)
2.28%
Italy (38)
8.68%
Netherlands (14)
3.2%
Other (Tell us who) (26)
5.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise