Winter fest? Watch

This discussion is closed.
awhoswho
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
A town in staffordshire called stoke-on-trent are calling xmas, 'winter fest'...well, not the people of course, just their local council, it said that; as so many different cultures celebrate xmas, it would be offensive to them if it was continued to be called by its christian derived name.
I think this is totally wrong and if other religeous cultures want to celebrate another religeous culture's festival, they should celebrate its name aswell!

any thoughts?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by awhoswho)
A town in staffordshire called stoke-on-trent are calling xmas, 'winter fest'...well, not the people of course, just their local council, it said that; as so many different cultures celebrate xmas, it would be offensive to them if it was continued to be called by its christian derived name.
I think this is totally wrong and if other religeous cultures want to celebrate another religeous culture's festival, they should celebrate its name aswell!

any thoughts?
who decided this? i think it's ****ING ridiculous
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:bootyshak to the people trying to steal Crimbo
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
Actually, I think "Winter Fest" is a great name. Could never stand that Christ bloke always having a part in everything. This way, we can get back to celebrating Chrismas/Xmas/Winter Fest the traditional way- that is, alcohol and presents- rather than having a load of religion thrown at us once a year.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
people need to start standing up to this ********

go and talk to anyone in the street of any religion and ask them if they find the word christmas offensive. i reckon you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who says they do.

:mad:
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
Actually, I think "Winter Fest" is a great name. Could never stand that Christ bloke always having a part in everything. This way, we can get back to celebrating Chrismas/Xmas/Winter Fest the traditional way- that is, alcohol and presents- rather than having a load of religion thrown at us once a year.
There would be no 'winter fecking fest' if it wasn't for religion :rolleyes:
Fire Point
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
XMAS IS XMAS. THe stupid ****s at stoke of trent can go **** emselfs!
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
My thoughts exactly
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
There would be no 'winter fecking fest' if it wasn't for religion :rolleyes:
Winter fecking fest... I prefer the sound of that!
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
/me wonders if they will be consistent...

if christmas is unaccepable...what about the other "mas", like michaelmas for example? they gonna change that? doubt it.
awhoswho
who decided this? i think it's ****ING ridiculous
i agree, im not sure as to whos who in their local council or whoever, but i have a friend frm that area, shes told me that there are posters all around her local college advertising it and inviting the students to some form of 'winter fest party'
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
hmm. i thought Crimbo happened beacuse of that Christ guy. in the same way new year doesn't.
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Stoke on trent council -go eat santa's reindeer's crap!
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i find the word diwali offensive as its nothing to do with my culture. CHANGE IT NOW!!!!!

fkin ******** the whole lot of it.
awhoswho
(Original post by Daibhidh)
Well, apparently, a lot of the actual people in s.o.t. are totally refusing the idea....
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by awhoswho)
i agree, im not sure as to whos who in their local council or whoever, but i have a friend frm that area, shes told me that there are posters all around her local college advertising it and inviting the students to some form of 'winter fest party'
Ah I see. I think it's sad really Poor church, poor vicars. It's like loads of us moving to India or something and renaming Diwali "(-insert season in which divali takes place-) fest". Very silly indeed (sorry if Diwali was a bad example. I'm not very clued-up on these things). Also apologies if I spelt it wrong.
Johnny 5
Report 14 years ago
Erm... I actually got people taking me seriously there...

No, Xmas is Christmas. I thought that was the problem?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ah I see. I think it's sad really Poor church, poor vicars. It's like loads of us moving to India or something and renaming Diwali "(-insert season in which divali takes place-) fest". Very silly indeed (sorry if Diwali was a bad example. I'm not very clued-up on these things). Also apologies if I spelt it wrong.
I think Diwali takes place in winter too (although i may be mistaken, it oculd be at the end of autumn instead).

On a tangent, have they changed the way Diwali is spelt. When i was at school it was Divali...
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
I think Diwali takes place in winter too (although i may be mistaken, it oculd be at the end of autumn instead).

On a tangent, have they changed the way Diwali is spelt. When i was at school it was Divali...
change it to indian-autumn-fest and see how far it gets.

heres a clue, it'll get nowhere, and just get anyone thinking about it called a racist!

political correctness should be banned, and its purveyors shot.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.91%
Leave (435)
21.09%

Watched Threads