songforclay90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm starting a Secondary PGCE next week and my ideal outcome with QTS would be to teach the subject I'm studying at FE level. Would having a secondary PGCE help or harm my chances?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Having a secondary PGCE will be a lot better than having no PGCE at all.

Depending on your provider, you may not get much A-level/level 3 teaching experience this year, though. Some providers do guarantee this, but some unfortunately don't.
songforclay90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Having a secondary PGCE will be a lot better than having no PGCE at all.

Depending on your provider, you may not get much A-level/level 3 teaching experience this year, though. Some providers do guarantee this, but some unfortunately don't.
If I don't get any KS5 experience this year, would that harm my chances of teaching at FE/Sixth Form level?
username5404466
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello, I'm a teacher!

Having a PGCE will always aid you, no matter what style of teaching you eventually choose. I took a Secondary PGCE and only experienced working with KS3 and KS4 but as I have QTS I'm fully qualified to teach at KS1-KS5 level. It also doesn't matter which subject you train in, as long as you obtain QTS and pass induction successfully, you'll be qualified to teach in general (as long as you're willing to take the time to learn in depth about a new subject etc.).

In terms of Further Education, depends what you mean in all honesty? In uni type environments it's very unusual you'd be invited to teach unless you had some research behind you (PhD students teach in FE institutions, for example).

Most of the people in my PGCE cohort went in saying they only want to teach KS5 and up. Most jobs in secondary schools with A-level students require you to teach KS3-KS5. A lot of them didn't get that style of job as they weren't available in dedicated colleges. One applied to an adult-college but was asked to get a further qualification in teaching to adults in order to be considered. Some never went into teaching in the end as they didn't want to work with below 16 teenagers and others are like me working at KS3-KS4, some a bit of KS5 but realistically schools won't hand over their A-level students to an NQT, sometimes even Year. 11s as it's so important they get their grades.

A couple years experience you'll be in a better position to pick and choose what setting you want to work in. Maybe you'll be lucky and an opportunity at the end of your training year will arise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (64)
21.69%
No (231)
78.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed