FireWitch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey!

I'm a bit unclear with a few things around student finance, and struggling to get clear answers 😩

I'm a new, mature student (33!) starting my first year (joint honours, with foundation year) this month. I'm currently living back with my parents, and was laid off at the beginning of the Covid-19 disaster, so I've been out of work since the end of March this year. My plan was to move into student accomodation, but with all but one of my classes being online for the first term at least, and my dad being high risk (we're still shielding), it is currently both safer healthwise and financially to stay put at their house. Here's where I am getting lost - can I apply for a student loan as independent, as I've been working up until Covid intervened, or do I need to submit all my parents finances?

Thanks so much for any help here - I'm trying to make this as simple for both myself and my parents, my mum does tend to worry about everything 😅 if I don't have to involve their finances, I know she'll be a lot less stressed!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by FireWitch)
Hey!

I'm a bit unclear with a few things around student finance, and struggling to get clear answers 😩

I'm a new, mature student (33!) starting my first year (joint honours, with foundation year) this month. I'm currently living back with my parents, and was laid off at the beginning of the Covid-19 disaster, so I've been out of work since the end of March this year. My plan was to move into student accomodation, but with all but one of my classes being online for the first term at least, and my dad being high risk (we're still shielding), it is currently both safer healthwise and financially to stay put at their house. Here's where I am getting lost - can I apply for a student loan as independent, as I've been working up until Covid intervened, or do I need to submit all my parents finances?

Thanks so much for any help here - I'm trying to make this as simple for both myself and my parents, my mum does tend to worry about everything 😅 if I don't have to involve their finances, I know she'll be a lot less stressed!
as you're over 25 if will go off just your income
FireWitch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
as you're over 25 if will go off just your income
Thank you! I wasn't sure if I needed to include my parents income, as I'm living with them, keep seeing "household income" and the more I tried to clarify the more confusing it got 😅 much appreciated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (3)
11.11%
No (24)
88.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed