How to make notes for a biology degree more specifically the medical sciences?

Watch
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I would love to know how everyone makes notes for their biology related degree especially if you're doing a medical sciences, biomed degree or a subject allied to medicine like neuroscience. Do you do mind maps, annotate powerpoints, write or type etc.
boredom07
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Dechante)
I would love to know how everyone makes notes for their biology related degree especially if you're doing a medical sciences, biomed degree or a subject allied to medicine like neuroscience. Do you do mind maps, annotate powerpoints, write or type etc.
I think it varies between different individuals and their preferences. I personally recommend mindmaps bc there’s a lot of content and these help condense down notes and link different concepts easily
Last edited by boredom07; 4 months ago
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I do microbiology and personally I make my lecture notes on the PowerPoint in the notes section. I'll then take these notes andd make diagrams/mind maps with them and stick them on my wall. I'll also make flashcards on every lecture to continually revise and then closer to the time I'll do past papers and practice exam questions.

Its all very personal but that's what I do and it works super well for me!
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I know you are applying to the pretty much the same course I was on given our past conversations, I can tell you the module leads for many of our modules when I was there were trying to push us to use VUE mind maps for "concept mapping", given the problem based learning we usually did. However at least half of your modules will probably still be your usual lecture based stuff.

During lectures, I always just used to take notes from the lecturer (write down stuff they said that wasn't on their slides) then write them up later with help of the powerpoint, as usually the pace is too rapid for you to write everything. I preferred written notes, but mind mapping can be useful for modules, helping you draw links between topics from across your course (which can be useful in essays later where you are expected to do more "outside reading")

For prepping for exams/assessments, honestly we are all different, so its worth experimenting and seeing what works best with you. Personally I didn't get on well with the mind mapping software I mentioned before, I preferred trying to keep re-writing and condensing notes and covering my wall in them-but again, we are all individual.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads