The Student Room Group

Low UCAT Score Dentistry 2021 entry

Hey guys, I did my UCAT score today and I got 2340 with an average of 585. I really wanted 2400 with an average of 600 just to feel more secure, but we digress. Anyways, my predicted grades are currently A*BB if I can move them up to A*AA during my upcoming assessments, do you think I’ll stand a chance when it comes to applying for dentistry? My GCSEs are one 9, seven 8s and one 7. I’ve done work experience at both a dental hospital and pharmacy. I’ve gone a biomedical science focused summer school. I’ve won a biology Olympiad bronze award. An Extracurricular In being creative with hair. I’m a hardworking individual, and I know that one day (InshaAllah) I can do dentistry. Can anybody if I can or even should apply for so now?
Original post by Gumballfan
Hey guys, I did my UCAT score today and I got 2340 with an average of 585. I really wanted 2400 with an average of 600 just to feel more secure, but we digress. Anyways, my predicted grades are currently A*BB if I can move them up to A*AA during my upcoming assessments, do you think I’ll stand a chance when it comes to applying for dentistry? My GCSEs are one 9, seven 8s and one 7. I’ve done work experience at both a dental hospital and pharmacy. I’ve gone a biomedical science focused summer school. I’ve won a biology Olympiad bronze award. An Extracurricular In being creative with hair. I’m a hardworking individual, and I know that one day (InshaAllah) I can do dentistry. Can anybody if I can or even should apply for so now?

You’ll need to look for less ucat heavy unis, be strategic with your application. See if there are any foundation courses you would be suitable for
Reply 2

What band did you get in STJ? Because from my understanding many unis (especially London ones) will look at this more than the average score (:
Original post by becausethenight

:ta:

OP, what SJT band did you get and are you eligible for contextual offers?
Assuming you get predicted A*AA (as A*BB doesn't meet A Level requirements unless contextual in some cases), as mentioned above you'll need to apply strategically.
- Avoid UCAT heavy schools such as KCL and Barts. Newcastle use a cut-off score which in the past has varied between 637-650 so I'd avoid that too, as well as Glasgow.
- Bristol place a 35% weighting on ucat so It's up to your discretion whether to apply there (I wouldn't though)
- You meet the cut off for Plymouth this year so that is a viable option
- Other universities say they don't use cut-offs but haven't specified the weighting they place on the ucat specifically. If you can push your predications up and write a strong PS, you may be able to balance the lower ucat score. However some universities don't consider band 4 applicants hence, your banding is important to consider too.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
:ta:

OP, what SJT band did you get and are you eligible for contextual offers?
Assuming you get predicted A*AA (as A*BB doesn't meet A Level requirements unless contextual in some cases), as mentioned above you'll need to apply strategically.
- Avoid UCAT heavy schools such as KCL and Barts. Newcastle use a cut-off score which in the past has varied between 637-650 so I'd avoid that too, as well as Glasgow.
- Bristol place a 35% weighting on ucat so It's up to your discretion whether to apply there (I wouldn't though)
- You meet the cut off for Plymouth this year so that is a viable option
- Other universities say they don't use cut-offs but haven't specified the weighting they place on the ucat specifically. If you can push your predications up and write a strong PS, you may be able to balance the lower ucat score. However some universities don't consider band 4 applicants hence, your banding is important to consider too.

PRSOM :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by c.hllz
What band did you get in STJ? Because from my understanding many unis (especially London ones) will look at this more than the average score (:

I got a Band 2, but the London unis are highly competitive and I want to branch out anyways but the unis outside of London don’t really look at STJ
Hi, I don’t know if you will see this message but I am on the same boat as you just a year later on the UCAT haha! I was wondering whether you were successful in your dentistry application and if so how were you able to do it?
Reply 8

Hi i was just wondering whether you were successful in your application, and if so, where did you apply? Thank you :smile:

Latest